Tobacco Galleria?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Ivycap, Jul 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ivycap

Ivycap Member

So there's this cigarette shop in my town called Liebies Tobacco Shop (sp?). I go there every once in a while to look at their pipes because they actually have a handfull of nice petersons, stanwells, and bjarnes believe-it-or-not. Anyway while I was in there I spotted a new line of pipe tobaccos I had not heard of before called Tobacco Galleria. They come in 1.5 ounce pouches and cost about $2.80 each. There are many different casings and flavorings you don't normally see in cheap drugstore tobacco. One was Virginia/Burely with honey and rum. I can't remember the others but the one that caught my eye was a blend called "Fox and Hound". It is described as "A Traditional mixture of Red Virginia, Turkish, Burley, Latakia and Perique. I had to do a double take. First at the thought that a plain old cigarette shop would have anything like that at all, and second, that it pretty much was all the good stuff thrown in together. I had to try it so I bought the pouch, and you know what? I would have paid twice the price for this stuff! It's amazing! It tastes just like RRR except for a hint of perique which makes it even better. This stuff is well under $30 a pound while RRR costs around $75 a pound! What an awesome discovery! Thought I'd share with you and see what your experiences are with some of Galleria's other tobacco's. Thanks.

2. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I believe "Tobacco Galleria" is from Altadis.

:goodjob:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

3. atwageman

atwageman Member

Yep Altadis makes it.

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Isnt it great when ya find something killer and it dosent have to hit yer bank hard ! I bought some Century Natural #10 from wvsmoke shop to try . I like SWR and it seemed in the description to fit the bill . It's 20 bucks a pound and is real nice if you like a straight slightly top note all day blend . Enjoy it man !

5. Ivycap

Ivycap Member

Yes it is, ruffinogold! Congrats on finding the Century Natural and thanks for the reply! :groucho:

Yes, Altadis it is, which is surprising because I heard many of their blends suck. Glad I found this one though.

6. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I wanted to read up on it, but they don't even have this one on TR yet.

7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Member

I dont know why Altadis gets such a bad rap.They make some good blends,Blue Note being my favorite.Altadis has been around for a long while with more blends than most,wich tells me that Altadis tobacco sells very well.At least the do make blends that will suit everones taste,aromatic and english.I cant say the same for Pease GH or SG.They dont have anything to suit my taste.

8. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

It's there somewhere, Deck...I read Ivycap's , gulp, 4 star review of it there, before seeing his topic here.

I have a pouch of it here...one bowl was enough for me. Glad Ivy likes it, though.

9. Ivycap

Ivycap Member

Lol... Maybe English/ oriental tobacco's aren't for you. I understand they're not for everyone. This one I guess is even stronger than most, because it also has perique, which might turn some people off.

I usually try to rate every tobacco in the context of its genre without byass. You know how some people will rate a great aromatic with 1 star and then say something stupid like, "I don't like aromatics. I only smoke English." That doesn't help anyone! I usually rate Aromatics against other aromatics and English against other English and so on without the byass. I must confess, though, my only byass is with straight burley, since burley is generally a bland filler tobacco and smells like cigarettes. I did enjoy Prince Albert though for a time.

10. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

If I could be forgiven for reviving an old thread, has anyone here spent a fair amount of time smoking Fox & Hound? I picked up a pouch of it today and I have to say I like what I've tasted so far. If this is anything like most English blends, I may become a daily English smoker. Until now, I had smoked almost exclusively PA since it's been comfortable to learn with.

Also, using Fox & Hound as a reference point, can anyone offer suggestions as to what other tobaccos might be similar or pleasing on the palette?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.