Tobacco humidifying discs

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by WrightwoodJohn, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

I was watching a youtube video yesterday on long term storage of tobacco. The guy suggested mason jars which most of us use, but for long term he adheres a humdifying to the underside of the lid. I was wondering if any of you do this method also, and judging by the amount of jars some of you have..that's alot of discs. Seems to me the jars alone work very well without them. I go back and check on my tabacs that I haven't smoked for awhile and they always seem to be right on the money (pinch test) for moisture content. Any thoughts?

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I used to use them for my everyday bulk stash... the ones I was currently smoking. I put the blends in candy jars that had a pseudo-airtight lid, but I soon discovered they needed help. So I used the discs.

Now I just buy those tiny Ball jars that hold about an ounce. No need for the discs if your jar is truly airtight.

Lestrade likes this.
  3. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Yes Sir, Ball Jars are a great thing!

4. Elwin

Elwin Member

I occasionally use humidity disks to help re-humidify dry tobaccos, but no - I wouldn't use them for long term storage.
    If the jar is properly sealed, that moisture isn't going anywhere, so no added moisture is necessary.

I think in the long run that you'd find them to be a waste of your money at best, and a source for mold to develop at worst.

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Anal Retention... the art of having three sizes of Ball jars - one for the stuff you smoke regularly, a second somewhat larger size to fill the smaller sizes when they empty and large sizes for storing and aging. :banana:

6. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Whatever works! :banana:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.