Tobacco in tins? How long does it last?

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by Grug, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Grug

Grug New Member

I have just bought a new pipe and a few tins of pipeweed. I was wondering with sealed tins how long does the tobacco stay fresh or smokeable for? If I open a tin and put the lid back on how long will the stuff last for? I am not a big smoker and figure I might smoke it once a week or every two weeks sort of thing. I have bought 5 different types to start with and was wondering about opening them and smelling them first. Anything here on long term storage? Thanks
  2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Welcome to PSF!

Round tins, the kind that sort of screw on, will hold moisture better than square ones. Neither, once opened, will keep tobacco dry forever...I wouldn't trust leaving it in its tin for more than a month. You might get lucky, but why risk luck? Go ahead and open your tins...but get some mason jars to store it in afterwards. Now, sealed tins should last for years and years, barring rust or a crushed, compromised tin. Once the seal is broken, there is no going back.
  3. user0003

user0003 Active Member

...about a week for me and then it's gone. :dunno:

...if you mean long term.....

With intact seal a very long time. I have many approaching 5yrs and so far every time I open one the weed is still fresh.
  4. Grug

Grug New Member

For the mason jars, do you have sterilize them prior to use? Or just snap on the lid and thats it? Does it matter if say you have a large jar with a low level of weed with majority being empty/air volume?

I use to smoke cigarettes for years and took up cigars maybe 10 years ago. Now just want to smoke a pipe, but not very often. Thanks for the info.
  5. Beale

Beale Member

Welcome to the site! I am glad you aked this question. I am interested. Hope you enjoy your stay, Beale.
  6. t-bear

t-bear Active Member

Sealed tins, if uncompromised, will last for years. As for opened tins, they will last from a couple weeks to a couple months. If you are going to have the tobacco longer than that, transfer it to canning jars, the closer to the right volume the better. Too much air in the jar will allow the tobacco to dry out. Small jelly jars (1/2 pint) work well for single tin storage. I have some Barbary Coast that I opened two years ago and jarred...it's drying just a bit, but still very smokable.
  7. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Good question, glad you brought it up. I've got some tins that are a year old, to 1yr 1mo. I hope they're ok. They've never been opened and are still in the cardboard box they were shipped in.
    Cheers!
  8. SittinNMyChairSmokin

SittinNMyChairSmokin Member

I find that aromatics in tins age considerably worse than non aros. I have a decent stash of Dunhill tobacco thats been opened more than a month, some for multiple and they still smoke quite well. I find aros just get sharp.

But if it all possible just jar it up and then there's no question whether your baccy will be ok :thumbsu:
  9. redskull13

redskull13 Member

I bought a case of 250ML mason jars.
    I boiled them in water ( not the lids and seals )- I washed them thoroughly though, towel dried them and let them air out overnight with the lids off.
    A 2oz. tin fills the mason jar up perfectly.
    For baccy's I favor, I buy lots and store them in 500ML jars.
  10. Grug

Grug New Member

yeah the big dilemma is as Im new to pipe smoking I want to give the new tins a smell when they come in but dont want to waste the whole lot as I plan on smoking these 5 tins over a year or longer... lol

Thanks for the answers guys, I guess ill need some jars.
  11. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Half-pint mason jars are a great idea for single tins. I can tell you from my own experience, though, most tobacco can be rehydrated if it dries out in the tin. I keep a handful of humidifier disks handy for that.
  12. Grug

Grug New Member

Yeah Im use to cigars that when they dry out and the casings crack, thats pretty much it.
  13. Smoker99

Smoker99 Member

My practice, if it's going to be open more than 3-4 wks, it gets jarred. As mentioned above, square tins dry quickly, while the round ones seal better.
  14. Falconeer

Falconeer Member

Hi All,

Tins with a good seal will last indefinitely - the last time I was in Mallorca I managed to get a kilo of the original Erinmore Flake made by Murray Bros not as now Orlik and it smoked perfectly.

Once you open the tin everything changes, particuarly with any kind of aromatic - I find it good enough to smoke til the end of a week then it seems to lose something.

Best as ever

Gerry