1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

tobacco is dried out?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by slackjaw, Sep 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slackjaw

slackjaw Member

I cannot understand why my tobacco tins dried out..do you have to keep them in a humidor? i seen some guys have been smoking the same tins for a year? any suggestions? thanks

2. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I always transfer tinned baccy to small jars to retain the moisture. Some tins (round) will reseal well, others (square) not so well. What blend are we talking about?

3. slackjaw

slackjaw Member

Samuel Gawith's Chocolate Flake

and

CAO Bella Vanilla

4. Brian

Brian Member

glass mason jars for the win!

I don't smoke often enough to get through a tin of tobacco before it dries up. My buying habits are greater than my smoking speed. I can usually fit your average tin of tobacco into a small wide-mouth mason jam jar.

Once the seal on a tin is broken, I don't find them to be very air-tight. Not even the plastic ziplock containers are air tight enough for me.

I also bought a small water sprayer. One quick spritz of distilled water, seal it up and wait a day, and dried up tobacco is right back to normal

5. slackjaw

slackjaw Member

Cool , ill give this a shot..now where to buy mason jars lol

6. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Ace Hardware, Walmart, large food stores and large Garden Co-Op style stores........if you're in the USA. There's also ebay or online etailers (overstock, amazon, etc.) but they hit you hard for shipping.

If you have a vacuum sealer system like a food sealer, you may want to put a tin in a bag to vacuum the hell out of and see if it holds your tin's seal......just a thought.

Otherwise, canning jars are best, next best are the bail-top jars.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

7. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

+1 for mason jars, but dry tobacco isn't necessarily a bad thing. A lot of blends improve with some drying, as a result I usually wait a little while before I transfer to jars. I wouldn't let it get to the point of crumbling to dust, but I find it burns best when at least a little crispy.

8. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

A lot of places have them on sale this time of year. Usually the same brand with a few cents difference here and there. Even Rite Aid and Kinney pharmacies have them now, just in time for canning season I'm sure.

I've even been able to get the jars to seal and reseal after opening!
    Just press down firm on the center "seal" while tightening the threaded part with the other hand. I know they seal cuz I get that vaccume "pop" when I open them.

9. slackjaw

slackjaw Member

i went to walmart and picked up a plastic container (clear/sealable) took the dried out tins and emptied them into ziplock bags, squirted one to two squirts of distalled water, rolled them up, got the air out..put them all in sealed jar.

hopefully this will work

10. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Glass. Glass jars. Glass jars with sealing lids. Next time.

11. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Glass may be optimum, but food grade plastic containers that are airtight work well also. I bought some from Target that have been in use for about a year and work well. The ones on the left were Michael Chiarello (Napa Style) and the one on the top right was actually an old Bjarne tobacco jar that a tobacconist gave me. All have airtight sealing systems and wide mouths.

[attachment=997:Toby Jars PSF.JPG]

12. slackjaw

slackjaw Member

couldn't find any glass jars :(. the jars i did get are sealable with a working lock on it. seals airtight aside from being plastic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.