Tobacco Jars

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by KingsTarantula, Apr 4, 2013.

1. KingsTarantula

KingsTarantula Active Member

Where do y'all get your tobacco jars from? And is aging tobacco really that much more beneficial?

2. Tate

Tate Member

Jars are easy to get at almost any supermarket or Walmart etc. Ask for canning supplies.

Aging is up for debate. It really depends on the blend. Some benefit from it more than others. And even then its questionable. I find it takes some of the sharpness of the tobacco away in trade for some more depth of flavor or complexity. Personally I don't really care about aging.

ShawnP and KingsTarantula like this.
  3. Wideawake75

Wideawake75 Member

I have a few jars that I bought at a Hobby Lobby, which work fine for me, but I'm not cellaring and aging large amounts, they hold just enough for short term needs. Much better than leaving everything in baggies from your B&M or pouches though, YMMV

DaveyBoy likes this.
  4. Texhealer

Texhealer Active Member

Some grocery stores carry mason jars year round others just in the fall, Walmart usually has them.
    I think aging pipe tobacco improves it, not like cigars, I personally see much more improvement in cigars than pipe tobacco,

I've seen a couple of years on cigars turn pretty mediocre cigars in to really decent smokes, and a few years on a good cigar can turn it into something really special. I can't say I've seen that kind of an improvement in pipe tobacco blends with the possible exception of some straight Virginias.

KingsTarantula likes this.
  5. SthrnMan

SthrnMan Member

I have some old wire bail lid jars, but I'm having a hard time finding New rubber gaskets foe them.

WVDAVE and KingsTarantula like this.
  6. WVDAVE

WVDAVE Active Member

7. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

Wal-Mart, Target, and Giant supermarket carry canning jars. Wal-Mart and Target carry them in the kitchen supply/accessory section.

8. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I use Mason/Ball jars for cellaring and smoking stocks. Larger jars for cellaring or aging; and small jars for tobacco I plan to smoke. I've bought two flats of jars and the large jars are Classico pasta sauce jars I scald the labels off of and sterilize for use. They are after all proper Mason jars. You can buy the lids and jars and most larger department stores.

They're cheap! I usually buy lids and jars (if I need to) in the off season when stores sell off their overstock.

9. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

I put everything that I have open or in bulk in jars, even the stuff I smoke frequently (well, frequently for me). Though I love this stuff, I rarely smoke more than 6-7 bowls a week. If I don't have it in something airtight, I'll end up throwing a lot of it out. From this, the jars have easily paid for themselves.

10. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Active Member

mason/ball canning jars available at every big box, farm supply, grocery around here. never paid more then $10 for a case of 12. I don't care much about aging I'm more into stocking before the taxes hit the fan and/or they outlaw/tax internet sales.

11. JRobert

JRobert Hermit Forum Guide

KingsTarantula and Thuber88 like this.
  12. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

Walmart has some that are sort of a rounded cube shape made by Better Homes and Gardens. They have a white lid with an airtight lock to them. Plus they are grooved so they stack on top of each other. That's what I use.

13. pepesdad1

pepesdad1 Member

Also try looking in thrift shops for the ceramic, bail-type lids for cellaring tobacco. Got a bunch for about $1-2.00 a piece. Have about 10 pounds stored that way...just like a ceramic humidor.

14. John Galt

John Galt Member

Salcheech and SteveNH like this.