1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Tobacco Journal

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by scavenger, Feb 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scavenger

scavenger Member

So I've been doing some thinking and as I tend to have a forgetful mind I got the idea to start a tobacco journal to keep track of what I have tried and what I thought about it. Does anyone else do this?

Thanks!
    Scavenger

2. telltime

telltime Active Member

It's a great idea. I've promised myself to keep all kinds of journals throughout the years, but I find myself not disciplined enough to follow through. I'll do it for a while and then let it slip.

I've always admired journal keepers, though. I have a brother-in-law that does it for wine and it's an excellent source of information.

3. sarge564

sarge564 Member

Yes! I started one a couple years ago. It reminds me of what I do and don't like. I just need to bite the bullet and try some that I didn't like then to see if my taste have changed.

4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Not me! - I can keep in mind tobaccos that I have liked, or disliked!....sorry to be negative! - but it's fortunate, as I usually have far too many other things going on in my life to be keeping a book about my smoking, but if you are a 'diary' person - that's fine!
    Cheers OT.

5. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I have a list of tobacco's I've tried with a 1-10 rating system. I cut & paste the description as the heading for each tobacco.

I have a "Pipe & Toby Codec" as well on a spreadsheet. I have a little pic of each pipe and what tobacco I smoke in them. I put the VaPer, Burley, Virginias, Aros, etc in colums together for when I pop open a new tin or bag. Since I'm a 2 year pipe smoker, it helps me remember what tobies have similar ingredients for pipe selection. Really, it's just for fun. :D

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

have never done it myself for the simple reasson I've never thought of it, but I can see merit in the idea with the ammount of tobaccos that are now available on the internnet. Despite my age I've been lucky and have managed to hold most of the tobaccos I've tried over the years in my mind.

If nothing else it'd be a great and interesting historical record especially if you noted the prices you paid for the tobaccos too,

Best as ever

Gerry

7. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

When starting with a new blend, I jot down which pipe I try it in, and then a rating from 1 to 10. After smoking several bowls in different pipes, I can go over my notes and determine which are the pipes that go well with the blend. I can share with you some pages from my journal if you're interested.

8. pottsy

pottsy Member

I suffer from the same affliction. I have started doing it a couple of times, but it always slips, and doesn't get updated.

9. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I recently started a spreadsheet of all the tobaccos I own and have smoked.
    It has Company, Brand, and the ingredients (taken off TR).
    I bunched them together by the ingredients. For example the Virginia's are all together, Virginia\Burley's in the next section, etc. etc.
    I should add notes and maybe how they are cured or flavored.
    I might go back next round and add more.
    I do know which ones I like best, but maybe should highlight the favs in green.
    The journal or spreadsheet is a nice idea and reference tool.
    :thumbsu:

10. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I haven't, but I'm going to try to do it. I'm thinking about making it full notebook sized, so I can print off pipe and pipe tobacco articles I find on internet or cut out of news papers and magazines and put them in there also. Who knows, maybe even a collection of pipe tobacco labels.

11. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

I do the same thing. What can I say? I like spreadsheets.

I use "Open Office" and my pipe sheet has a ratings tab, inventory tab and a price from vendors tab on tobaccos that I have in stock or would like to try.

My ratings sheet has the Tobacco Reviews rating, my rating, type of tobacco (va, vaper, etc.), maker, types of tobacco in the blend, the pipe it was smoked in, length of time the smoke lasted and a comments section. It's fun to sort by tobacco, pipe, ratings, etc. to see which tobacco smokes best in which pipe. I have over 600 rows of ratings on 30 or so tobaccos smoked in 11 cobs, 5 briars and two meers.

WyoBob

12. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Awesome Bob! :thumbsu:

13. MakDragon

MakDragon Illegitimi non carborundum

My brothers and I started a weekly tradition about 7 or 8 years ago of having a cigar and a couple of beers on a Thursday night to solve the world's problems. It started on a vacation at the beach and just continued. I started a journal and taped the cigar rings in the book and then wrote a little something about the cigar. I started off just writing the cigar brand, tobacco type, how long we smoked it, did we have "cigar mouth" the next morning and then we rated the cigar for future reference. Since this all started at the beach, we used a "clam rating" from 1 - 5, 5 being the best thing we ever smoked.
    What is funny is that is the way it started, then it became a retrospective of what was going on that week, or month or whenever in our lives at the time. I was never a diary person but this is fun to read the entries from time to time and see how life, and we, have changed over the years. Those journals are gold as far as I am concerned. Since my brothers all live out of state now, the entries of the 3 of us become few and far between. I am thinking of doing one now with every pipe tobacco I try since I am a relative newbie to the briar. Forgive my waxing nostalgia!

14. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I review at TR.com and use that as my journal. It's a way for me to keep track of what I've smoked and how I felt about it, as well as possibly helping others decide if it's something they'd like to try.

15. enjoyasmoke

enjoyasmoke Member

Not quite as high tech but a moleskine and a pen.

16. eddy13

eddy13 Member

I just bought a nice leather one from sorringowl, here on the forum- Great product. Very happy with it...

17. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

I use the 'Pipe Tool' app on my ipod. It has my whole cellar alphabetized as well as age of the tin, also has the description of each blend and rating straight from TR, and has the ability to write and save notes about each blend. Definetely a good app for pipe smokers.

18. eddy13

eddy13 Member

That is cool. I didn't know that was out there...
    I used to be into stuff like that, but as I get older I find myself gravitating back to pen and paper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.