1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Tobacco, Now I know a bit about the pipes, I need some tips on Tobacco,

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by CKeithHK, Jun 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CKeithHK

CKeithHK Member

What is a good mild relaxing smoke,
    I tried the Peterson University Flake and that is strong...

2. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

Carter Hall, Sir Walter Raleigh or Prince Albert if you like Burleys.

Ozark Nick likes this.
  3. CKeithHK

CKeithHK Member

are they mild?

4. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Is this your forum introduction? If so, welcome to PSF!

5. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

Very mild. And great smokes.

Artistik and CKeithHK like this.
  6. NickWilliams

NickWilliams Member

If you don't have a decent tolerance for nicotine I recommend you hold off on Sir Walter Raleigh. It is a very mild smoke with no bite at all, but I have been smoking a pipe for over 16 years and the nicotine made me barf. If you want to try something that is not an over the counter blend, order some "No Bite Delite" from Boswell's website. I cannot recommend it highly enough. It is mild, has great flavor, and absolutely no bite.

...Also, the price per ounce is very affordable. It is right on par with the less expensive over the counter blends.

Artistik and CKeithHK like this.
  7. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

+1 In fact, any aro from JM is bite free.

8. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I recommend MacB blends like Symphony, Scottish Mixture, Golden Extra, and Burley London Blend. Also Orlik Golden Sliced. Also Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake and Luxury Twist Flake, Naturual Dutch Cavendish, and Aromatic Dutch Slices.

The Orlik and Stokkebye bhlends are more Virginia dominant, I think, while the MacB blends are more Burley dominant. MacB blends are not the tongue scorchers that many make them out to be, IMHO. They can bite if you push them too hard, but if you sip them they are just wonderful.

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Like Artistik said , Carter Hall is mild enough and is one of the easiest blends to light and keep lit . I dont know if youre just starting out , CKeithHK , but the Va flake stuff , if you try it ... might need to be rubbed out a bit or dryed out . RTO's recc of the MB blends is very good . They're not heavy or strong and require no ritual [ rubbing / drying ] to take from tin to pipe . The American OTC blends are some of the best blends in the world for lighting and keeping lit , which is why theyre American OTC . One blend that is easy to light and go to the bottom with is Smokers Pride Black Cavendish ... it's a no frills Black cav that many here agree is pretty damn good . It has very little nicotine and you couldnt get it to bite if you tried . If ya try a MB product , I'd suggest you go for Golden Extra ... that my bias .

10. NickWilliams

NickWilliams Member

I am going to go out and pick up a bag of Smoker's Pride tonight and try it out. Not sure how this one slipped under my radar for so long!

11. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

Mildness can have a downside, especially for newer smokers, in that if you like the flavor, but you're not getting as much as you'd like, you're tempted to smoke too fast, resulting in a hot mess. Also, mildness is more of a description of strength than flavor. A mild English will be a very different experience than a mild burley.

Instead, I'd suggest you try a few different blend types (burley, VA, aromatic, maybe a light English) to learn what types of tobacco flavor you like and then learn to smoke them slowly. If you live near a tobacconist that sells by the ounce, buying a few 1 oz bags will be the most cost effective way to do this.

12. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

Top 3 Recommendations for new pipe smokers:

An OTC burley like Carter Hall, Prince Albert Cherry Blend, or SWR
    A Light English: Frog Morton on the Town, Frog Morton, or Dunhill early morning Pipe
    A Virginia Flake: Orlik Golden Sliced, Peter Stockybe Luxury Twist Flake, or Dunhill Flake

JayinHK and tungbite like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.