Tobacco or perfume?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Waino, Jun 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waino

Waino Active Member

I got a tin of Samuel Gawith Celtic Talisman. I have never tasted eau de cologne but this must be quite near (after Talisman I smoked two bowls of Rattrays 7 Reserve before I felt well again). Tin is now in my garage. Isolated until pioneers come to get rid of it.

Why on earth they ruin some aromatics by putting too much chemicals to them? Some aromatics are brilliant (like W.O. Larsen 2011) or average (MacBaren 7 seas) but I guess there are more dissappointments than in pure tobacco. Or maybe my mouth doesn´t know what is good. Do you have these experiences?

2. nitehawk

nitehawk Active Member

Waino....LOL...I made the mistake of purchasing a tin of C&D USS Mason (based solely on previous purchases of other C&D tobaccos, which were quite good), and it had an over-whelming "perfume" STANK. I let the tin sit open for 3 days to air out, and even then, I considered it only barely smokable.

3. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

You should persevere with this Lakeland, floral, soap, fruity stuff, it worked wonders for my street cred, pulling power, social status.....and at times had many nubile maidens - anxious to make my aquaintance!:th1:
    OT

4. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

Ahhh, so it's hallucinogenic as well?;)

WyoBob

Rewster66 likes this.
  5. Waino

Waino Active Member

...nubile maidens

I take my phone and make an order of nubile rum.. pardon, Navy Rum. But first I must have some sleep, or nightmares, hallucinations, whatever. Nightynite.:bing:

6. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

That's too bad. I had it on my list of tobaccos I wanted to try. Doesn't sound too good after this description.

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Yeah man , bummer . I thought Celtic Talisman had a cherry flavor and I was gonna nab some as soon as I saw it available along w/ SG Firedance [ man , I love that stuff ] . Waino , dont toss it out cause we belong to the forum and somebody loves it i'm sure so keeep it for a trade ... ya just might make somebodys day :)

8. badbusinessman

badbusinessman ☺️

I am not overly fond of this blend. But I am not fond of aromatics. I love lakelands, however. Celtic Talisman didn't strike me as having any lakeland flavor, just fruitiness, and mild at that. After experimenting with aromatics a while, I've realized I don't like any other than those with lakeland floweryness/tonquin. I'm surprised anyone who liked fruity aromatics would dislike this, even if they hated lakeland scents.

9. Waino

Waino Active Member

You are right. Like Badbusinessman I am not fond of all aromatics. These are questions we are (philosophycally) not able to find "truth". There are markets to Celtic Talisman.

And most of SG:s are best you can get. Squadron Leader, Commonwealth (heavy latakia) and strong St. James Flake. St. James Flake is made from Virginias and St. James Parish LA perique. It is a tobacco my neighbour smokes while drinking whisky. Mild blends doesn´t taste any more when night comes.

10. Waino

Waino Active Member

B
    BradNTX, if you wan´t to try it, send me an address and I will post it to you as a gift sample today.

11. BradNTX

Thanks Waino!

12. Zfog

Zfog Member

Now I just have to try this out of curiosity. lol

13. Waino

Waino Active Member

I found sweet tobacco I can smoke! Many wise men here in the forum have said I should always give try. I bought Solani Blend 369 from Tallinn and that tastes and smells good.

14. BradNTX

Thanks Waino, I'll put that on my TAD list. One of my tobacco loves is Solani, so am not afraid to try another.

I tried the Celtic Talisman and found the same results as you. It was like smoking tobacco laced in old lady perfume and soap. Left a chalky, soapy taste in my mouth too. I wanted to like it after reading the description. Smoked two bowls prepared two different ways... nope, not for me.

Off to Ruffingold to see if he likes it...

15. Waino

Waino Active Member

Well done Brad! This is like a J. J. Tolkien -tale. Mysterious old Talisman searching right mouth. Who is real chosen? Ruffinogold is a next brave to get try...

16. Ol Brokedik

Ol Brokedik Active Member

I can't get past my own imagination. Just hearing about the smell, gives me the mental image of an old 'lunch lady' wearing support hose and orthopedic shoes.

OBD.

17. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

If you want to try a good cherry flavored blend, give G.H. "Top Black Cherry". I highly recommend it. I'll back up my statement with: If you get it, and don't like it, I'll trade you out of it. It's that good.

My local b&m has it in bulk jars (renamed as their own "cherry blend"). They also stock SG Canon Plug and a few other SG bulks but their main bulk selection is GH, Lane (old 965, they've got several pounds of it!), not a bad b&m but their pricing is higher than the other local b&m's.

Ed
    Puff

P.S. I've avoided "Top Black Cherry" for about a year now tying my previous experiences with "cherry blends" to this one thinking it'd be the same. What got me turned around was a few bowls of PA Cherry Vanilla (it was good, and I liked it better than Middleton's Cherry) but GH Top Black Cherry is in a totally different league. Great flavor, burn, clean, cool, available, what more could you want?

18. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

I've grown to like these floral blends. At first I did a spit take, but after awhile I looked forward to having a bowl at the end of the day. I never throw anything away.

WK

19. Waino

Waino Active Member

Thanks for the tip. I´ll try it one day. Somehow I know there is going to be no trade - if we speak about other supplies, black cherries and sour cherries are fine. If tobacco is good, flavour probably fits to me.

Critical point must be flavoring. Is the taste natural or straight from the brains of chemical companys toxic department. That varies, just like in juices and lemonades. Some are fresh and (lets put some imagination to here) some tastes like Elixir of Life sold in market square in wild west. Wise man takes real whisky instead.

I have found few fine aromatics: W. O. Larsen 2011, Mac Baren 7 Seas Royal Blend and latest was Solani Blend 369. Number of these is increasing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.