1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Tobacco Pouches

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by bjrobinson, Jun 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bjrobinson

bjrobinson Member

So, I put a bunch (about 1.5oz) of my favorite blend in a new pouch. Has anyone noticed if that rubber they use will absorb or give off a flavor to the baccy and change its characteristic? Should I have done something different before loading up the new pouch? Its a Columbus roll up small from PipesandCigars.com

2. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

I haven't noticed any flavor changes with the liner, but the liner will ghost as a pipe does. I ususally put my toby in a zip lock bag before placing it in the pouch.

3. Klauswermann

Klauswermann Member

+1

4. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Zip lock bag? Kind of defeats the purpose of a tobacco pouch doesn't it?

5. cherrymaxap

cherrymaxap Member

Zip lock bags give an added layer of conserving moisture in the baccy. It also allows puting a different baccy in the pouch should one want to do that and keeps the baccy flavors from "marrying". Acutally thought it was a great idea!!

Artistik likes this.
  6. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Sorry, I see this as redundant and overkill, I would carry a pouch or two of tobacco or use zip lock bags.

7. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

In a way, but I use the pouch for carrying the toby and a pipe. I can take out the baggie and scoop and stuff my pipe from it. Also, as cherrymaxap pointed out, I can cary a couple of different tobys that way without the flavors "marrying".

Lithua pipe likes this.
  8. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Oh, I understand if you are carrying a couple of different samples in the same pouch, I misunderstood. :th1:

Artistik likes this.
  9. Locopony

Locopony Member

tobacco pouch..............say it over and over till it sounds funny. then try to get some one to hand you one with out laughing.

10. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

+1 on the ziploc. If I don't have one, I only put a couple of bowls' worth of tobacco in the pouch. Mine seems to let stuff dry out pretty quick.

11. LifeOfRiley

LifeOfRiley Active Member

Try "cork knocker."

jdto, IrishRover and EmperorGix like this.
  12. EmperorGix

EmperorGix Member

I've done the two different types in Zipper-locking baggies in one pouch with pipe and tamper with no ill effects to the liner of the pouch.

Tobachi puka. *giggles like an idiot*

I didn't make it past saying 'cork knocker' four times without snickering.

IrishRover likes this.
  13. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I have one of the zipper style pouches. I don't notice any ghosting, although; I have noticed the tobacco dries out very quickly.

14. UnarmedCrayon

UnarmedCrayon Member

I also use ziplocs in my pouch, but i carry two kinds of bacci at a time, so it made sense to me.

15. MrJarvis

MrJarvis Member

what about when you buy a tin? do you take everything out right away and put it in a sealed jar? or do you keep it in the tin and then slowly siphon out an ounce at a time into a ziplock you carry?

16. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I draw from the tin, tobacco will keep in the tin for a short period of time but I never have more than one or two tins open at a time and they are smoked within a week or two, if it takes you a while to smoke a 50g tin of tobacco or you open multiple tins at a time I would jar the tobacco to maintain freshness.

17. MrJarvis

MrJarvis Member

right now I smoke about 1-2 bowls a day. not sure how long a tin will last me...

18. cherrymaxap

cherrymaxap Member

On an average, a tin will yield approximately 10 bowls depending on packing methods and bowl size.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.