1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Tobacco question #1: Why no high nic aros?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by dmkerr, Dec 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

In another thread, Smoking Gun requested a flavored (aromatic) tobacco with a satisfying nicotine content. I could not think of one. Nesta provided what is probably the best response when he suggested she try some of the G&H flavored tobaccos, all of which have nic in spades. But it made me wonder, why no true aromatics with a high nicotine content?

Making two assumptions, both of which are common points of tobacco understanding, we are told that 1) aromatic tobaccos (of the American style, such as BCA and your basic cherry blend) start off as predominately burley tobacco. This is because burley accepts and retains a large amount of artificial flavoring, much more so than virginia. 2) Burley is considered a high nicotine tobacco.

Let's further define "aromatic" for this discussion as blends that contain a high amount of flavoring, such that the taste and aroma of the smoke focus on the flavoring and less on the basic tobacco.

If those assumptions are true (and I don't know for sure that they are), what happens during the casing cycle? I don't believe it's possible to remove nicotine from a tobacco leaf. Does the casing somehow offset the nicotine? Does PG offset it? Do these blends use burley that is low in nicotine, i.e is not all burley created equal with respect to its nicotine content?

Any thoughts?

2. DanielO

DanielO Member

My guess would be because the burley in most aros is cavendish processed, which, according to Wikipedia, makes it about a quarter water. So, greater than 25 percent of it is not tobacco, once you account for the flavorings and PG.

3. dmkerr

As good a guess as any! :th1:

Any other thoughts? :popc:

4. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Stoving mellows a strong nik leaf. Most aros consist of a percentage of stoved leaf if not all. Find an aro that is not stoved or has less content stoved or even one where the aro flavor is added as a topping.....a la 1792.

Ed
    Puff

5. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

As I understand it as well, VA's have much more nicotene however it is the alkaline nature of the burley that makes it more absorbable by the body. The casings may offset this causing it to be less absorbable than uncased. Just a guess...

6. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

That's interesting...got any more on that? It sounds highly probable.

7. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

I'll try to find that. Got a bunch of work today and yet another xmas thing tonight so it may be tomorrow; but I'd be happy to track it down.

8. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Hey, Ed, do you know if steam pressing has an effect on the nicotine level or it's ability to be absorbed by the body? I've always thought that many Sam Gawith flakes pack more of a nicotine punch than similar flakes, and I know that they steam press them, so I was just wondering if that makes the difference, or if maybe it has more to do with the variety of Virginia leaf they get.

9. cherrymaxap

cherrymaxap Member

Or, aren't aros primarily aimed at new smokers just starting out or toward making the room smell good? I know I started that way. Maybe they don't want newbies starting with something that would knock em on their arse and give up after one smoke? I started with flavored cigars then went to a high nic stick. Boy was that a mistake. It was a great smoke and I shoulda put it down half thru, but I didn't listen to myself.:D

10. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Well there's the hitch......what's an aro? Well I smoke a lot of aros, just not American, but that's another thread.

11. el guero

el guero Member

I smoked a aro called London Dock (different tobacco from the classic) and it is burley with a fig topping. If I smoked a full bowl it would kick my rear end every time. It is pure burley as far as I can tell.

12. dmkerr

For purposes of this thread only, I defined aromatics in my third paragraph of the OP. I had to, because as I'm sure you know, ask 100 smokers what makes an aromatic and you'll get at least 90 answers. :msty:

13. DunhillMan

DunhillMan Member

Within your definition, dmkerr, there are some aros with a notable N power. I know 1792 Flake and Braken Flake, from SG, Irish Flake, from Peterson and Erinmore Flake. St. Bruno Ready Rubbed is N charged also, but I'm not sure if available in the USA.

14. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

i recently learned not to smoke Erinmore flake on an empty stomach. Didn't get ill but would have if I had not put it down right away. First time I've reacted to nic in a pipe tobacco. I had been smoking it all day and I suppose it just built up until it was too much for an empty stomach

15. dmkerr

None of them qualify. Too much tobacco taste. I wasn't very clear before but what I meant were blends in the style of Lane's BCA, Captain Black Gold, your basic tobacco shop hazelnut/cherry/chocolate/cream corn... that sort of thing. Ok, maybe they don't have cream corn yet... but tobacco blends that taste/smell more like their flavoring and less like actual tobacco.

16. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

The type of aros Dmkerr is talking about are the ones that are steamed out the whazoo . The lane/Altadis bulk types [ cavs ] . The steaming does away w/ the nic ... and it's a shame . There's an Altadis blend , Chocolate something or other , that if it had some bad ass nic content ... I'd probably smoke it all the time and forget most everything else . The aro flavor is outstanding .. but the lack of nic makres me have to smoke a bowl of MCB right afterward

17. dmkerr

Is the steaming done purposefully to sweat out the nic or is it somehow essential for the flavoring and the nicotine loss is just a byproduct?

18. ruffinogold

Heck , I dont know why they are steamed out as far as they are . I wish they'd not go so far ... but if they didnt ... the end result might be lame ? I love aros ... but I sure wish they had some nic kick .... earlier , I was thinkin of Altadis Choclate Mousse .... damn , if it had some nic ..... I smoke the daylights outta it !

19. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I'm glad to hear all of this. Now I feel no compulsion to try most aros. I don't drink decaff either. :)

DunhillMan likes this.
  20. ruffinogold

I hear ya . But I think you'd be missing out . It's not really decafe as much as it is Sumatra to Costa Rican to Tanzanian Peaberry [ love that stuff ] . They're all good for what they are . I mean , a killer Va Flake dosent taste anything like Ben Hartwells Evening Stroll , which is a fantastic aromatic that most people seem to at least enjoy and many love . The variety of aromatic flavors is greater than any other " genre " of tobacco by far . I honestly love every type/style of blend out there , though I am a Burley freak , I can find many aros , lats ,vapers etc .. that I dig . I'm not sayin you should smoke anything youre not into . But , at the start , keep an open mind . Heck , SWRA is a killer aro w/ nicotine . It's everywhere and you can bag a pouch for 4 bucks . It's a very special blend thats not a black cav aro . Women get goofy around the stuff and thats always fun to be around :th1:

Indypuffer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.