Tobacco Recommendations???

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Longbottom Leaf, Aug 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longbottom Leaf

Longbottom Leaf Member

I am looking for a good tin or pouch of each of these types Latakia,Oriental, and a perique.I am also looking for a good place to buy from links would be awesome. I picked up a tin of Savinelli English mixture but it's only 30% latakia and I have only smoked one bowl of it so far so I have some more smoking to do :velho: . I wanted to try all the types of pipe tobacco and so far asides from aromatics and some Carter Hall the Savinelli is it. I did hear that Penzance is a good latakia, your thoughts?

2. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Penzance is deep, rich, sweet and powerful - and it has been essentially unavailable for almost a year. As a crumblecake/flake it isn't an a particularly easy tobacco for the inexperienced to handle. (I love the stuff - bulk 8-oz packages have appeared here/there recently - $25/8-oz. package - 50g tins around $10-$12).

Readily available and fantastic (in my book) is Rattray's Red Rapparee oriental. It is also the topic of the ongoing July/August 2t2m (two tobaccos for two months). Read the thread - you'll pick up a lot. Smoke the tabak, you'll be pleased. 100g tin around $12 - http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=pipes2

3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I'm currently enjoying McClelland's Grand Oriental line 'Smyrna #1'. There is, like, 8 or so to choose from. Moo's endorsement of RRR may be more appropriate though. Perique? You could choose standards like Escudo or Reiner's Long Golden Flake...or if ordering online from a large e-tailer, you could ask for an ounce of McClelland's bulk 2015. (It'll only cost you 2-3 bucks that way). Latakia? You mention 'only 30%' like it's not enough. Do you want a straight up smoke of it? Get a tin of blending Latakia. Can't imagine it being enjoyable, but then you would know for sure what that is like. Latakia blends, OTOH, are everywhere. Any minute, you're gonna hear about Frog Morton. A let someone else explain why, since I've not had any of it yet.

-Kyle

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Good blends, easy to come by..... uh, British Woods (McClelland), or Cooper (Low Country = smokingpipes.com) for latakia

Oriental... red rap or Presbyterian, or the new "legends" blend from McClelland, or McConnel's oriental

Perique.... Tudor Castle (McClelland) maybe Scottish Cake from McConnel, Escudo (AC Peterson)

Another interesting blend is Old Dublin from Peterson - good shot of latakia and a nice dose of Basma for some interesting interplay. Good stuff.

And pick up some Club Blend (Mac Baren) while you're at it. It's none of those things, and better than everything else. :yes:

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

LL, check out the new guy/old guy trade (FOG/FNG) in the trading section. This is a great way to experience a whole world of tobaccos with very little expense!

6. Longbottom Leaf

Longbottom Leaf Member

I've searched the boards and having the trouble locating this?

7. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Here's something to chew on... http://www.cornellanddiehl.com/alphalist.html you can order a sample pack of 5 blends for $31 or 8 blends for $40.

Some good blends to try would be:
    Epiphany - latakia, oriental and perique all in one
    Billy Budd
    Mississippi Mud
    Star of the East
    Pirate Kake
    Rajah's Court

8. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

On the main forum screen, choose the trading post section. It will be the pinned thread listed first.

9. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Ahhh.... interesting. I wonder.... I suspect that the "Trading Post" area doesn't open up to you until you have 10 posts here. If you go make 6 more posts, you'll be able to see and use it.

Here's the specific link, but I don't know if it will let you use it yet or not!

My link

10. Longbottom Leaf

Longbottom Leaf Member

Yeah it totally doesn't work lol! That's why I couldn't find it :yes: . Well now to the posting and by the way thanks for all the suggestions!

11. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

yep, it doesn't show up until 10 posts

12. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

13. Longbottom Leaf

Longbottom Leaf Member

Made it to ten and it's still not showing yet? Hmmmm may be eleven will push it to the top.

14. caleb442

caleb442 Member

Frog Morton is a great smoke. If you are trying to explore new tobaccos that are not aromatics this is a good one to start with. It's very smooth and tasty. This was my first taste of latakia. You can pretty much buy it anywhere online. Smokingpipes.com has it very reasonably priced.

15. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Something's funny - I can't send longbot a private message and should be able to.

Will check into it.

16. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

There is also 10 day probation period.

17. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

McClellands FMOTT (or #5110) will give a sample of Latakia and Oriental, with a Virginia base. McC FMOTB (on the Bayou) adds a taste of perique.
    To get the same (with a Burley background instead of Virginia), try C&Ds "Morley's Best" and "Old Joe Krantz".
    Just giving some options while you wait for the probation to end.
    Dan

18. Longbottom Leaf

Longbottom Leaf Member

Just got here and already been put in the corner :groucho:

19. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

The corner ain't so bad. I got my own booze cabinet over here, and a big tin of Virginia Woods, but don't tell Jesla, cuz he'll try and eat it (again).

20. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Well....it is that good :stretcher:

Yeah, we've all been in that corner. To help pass the time, read the writing on the wall.... :eekout:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.