Tobacco shootout: carter hall vs kendal north star.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by craig, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craig

craig Active Member

hey all hope your all well.

So with me having the new alco, ive been breaking the first bowl in, and i dont want to use my carter hall, so i picked up two ounces of kendal north star, although completely different to look at, when you dig a little deeper they are some similarities and some glaring things that make them completely different....let me explain.

As we know carter hall is a straight up burley with a smattering of virginia, whereas the kendal north star is a straight up virginia shag with a smattering of burley.

But the one similarity is they both have an old timers feel but they are still accessible to the new pipe smokers, but with the carter hall when you open it up it has a gorgeous aroma to it, which always reminds me of dark chocolate, it is very forgiving and carrys a decent amount of flavour, you can huff and puff and you will get off relatively scott free, with only a slight touch of tongue bite. packing wise as well you cant really go wrong with it, unless you pack it down with a jack hammer chances are you are going to have a trouble free bowl.

The north star on the other hand, you can be forgiven for thinking that it has no nose to it, it can take a bit of digging and ruffling up the tobacco to gain only a subtle hint of the aromas it has to offer, the north star does have a nice natural aroma too it, and it does have a subtle aroma similar to carter hall.
    But the one glaring thing about the north star is that it does take a bit of a knack to packing, and smoking, and does require a bit of drying time.
    The other glaring thing is that, the slightest attempt of over doing it and it will take no prisoners, it will bit down hard and make your pipe feel like your smoking magma, it was tobaccos like this that was recommended to new pipe smokers over here in the 50s and 60s, the worst thing that could ever be advised, as with such a subtley flavoured tobacco it would cause the new smoker to puff away hard, resulting in a hot gurgling and generally pretty bad experience.

But once the knack is learnt with the north star it offers a beautiful smoke, the flavours although subtle are enough to please and strength wise it could easily be an all day smoke, but i say it again the knack has to be learned, and like carter hall it is ideal for break in a new pipe.
    As i said earlier in this post the north star does have an old timer feel to it, and in a conversation with the guy who sold me the pouch he said its outselling his mellow virginia by benson and hedges and it sold more than gold block when he had it in.

carter hall whereever it seems to be seems to be one of those tobaccos that where ever it is its sellable, and i think if it was sold over here it would be a hit, just the sheer simplicity of it, the ability of being able to open a fresh pack and pack your pipe and light straight away would be a massive hit with the older boys over here.

So all in all both are excellent tobaccos, both have there good and off points but both their good points outweight the off points.
    and both serve their purpose perfectly, and have done for generations, although the north star is a pretty new thing, i have read and heard that the north star reminds the older boys that have smoked it of long lost brands like players, some of the capstan incarnations etc.
    But the thing that wins it out for me is the fact carter hall can be smoked by anyone whether you have one day or one decades pipe smoking experience the stuff is virtually idiot proof, where as the north star, although a beautiful smoke, does need to be handled gently, and you do need a certain amount of experience.

next up condor vs stokkebyes irish slices

2. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

Nice review. I need to try some Carter Hall, and have no excuse for not doing so yet, I could go buy some 20ft below the chair I am sitting in.

Splat and ruffinogold like this.
  3. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Is North Star a Brit OTC ?

4. craig

craig Active Member

cheers :) just my two cents worth im guessing you live above a shop

5. craig

craig Active Member

yes and no john, theres one shop that sells it locally near me, but all the propper tobacconists sell it in bulk where it goes under kendal mixed

ruffinogold likes this.
  6. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

No, I am at work, a homeless guy lives on the roof above the shop though.

7. craig

craig Active Member

ahhh shop work my most hated profession, so glad i got out of it haha. but least you have a way to pass the time haha

8. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Kendal North Star has some kick to it! It's a good tobacco. But like Craig said, I think it goes by Kendal Mixture or mixed out of the pouch. Thanks Craig!

9. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

I tried working once. Now I read message boards. :rolleyes:

Artistik likes this.
  10. craig

craig Active Member

im guessing you like the sample i sent eh steve lol, but yeah if your not expecting it can deliver a kick but it never goes into the territory of making your eyes spin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.