Tobacco shootout: Condor longcut vs Peter Stokkebyes irish slices.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by craig, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craig

craig Active Member

Hello all hope your all well.

So looking for my alco a few weeks ago on james barber and i was having a look at their loose flakes that they stock and came across stokkebyes irish slices, and underneath it was recommended as a good alternative for condor smokers, which got me thinking could be as good or better than the unique brit otc that is condor.

The thing about condor is that it has been around many many years and available in various forms throughout the years in plug rope and twist as well as the ready rubbed and long cut (flake) variety, sadly in england it is now only the flake and ready rubbed available, although in ireland you can still get your hands on the plug.

The thing about it is there isnt a tobacco like condor for me, the aroma and taste is something i just havent experienced with any other tobacco and you can lay your hands on it anywhere.

Condor is a love or hate it blend there is no in between, even so the older pipe smokers i have seen around, a pouch of condor is never far away.

so onto the shootout.

while i do love condor i do prefer the long cut as i find the long cut is a more flavoursome and a touch more strength and personally it makes for a better smoke, so when i seen the irish slices there was no debate about whether an ounce would mine.

When the flake arrived along with my alco its the biggest flakes i have seen at least an inch across and 6 inches in length, but i am absolutely useless at the fold and stuff method so i rubbed the lot out and left it for a fortnight.
    The ease of rubbing it out is fool proof it doesnt require any special effort and whether your old or young you wont encounter much difficulty.
    Same goes with the condor although the condor flakes are much much smaller an ounce of long cut will generally yield you 12 flakes and i feel this is easier to rub out as it basically just goes into small chunks almost.

Opening the pack of the irish slices today, i was quite surprised as the smell is remarkably similar to st bruno, that stewed spicy fruit aroma also there is a slight woody earthy fire cured aroma to it.
    i find the aromas very pleasing to the nose and it has a sort of granddad type feel to it, it just has a homely comforting smell to it which makes me imagine it was something like this our grandfathers may have smoked.
    The same goes for condor, it has a very old timers feel to it, and the aroma as i have said is very unique very floral, slightly alcoholic but oh so good.

Packing the two is easy, the condor packs easiest, but the stokkebye can be a bit of a pain if not rubbed out thoroughly, but it is worth the effort.

Smoking the irish slices i was even more amazed, even though it smells of st bruno in the pack when you light it up it does taste of condor, but its not an overpowering taste, it doesnt have the floral lakeland taste than can be found overwhelming by people, but there is a deffinite taste of condor, and it is a really pleasant tobacco, halfway down the bowl, although it does still taste of condor the firecured taste joins in and its a lovely mix, irish slices is a very slow burning tobacco, i smoked this in a dublin bowl alco pipe and it is a fairly small bowl to me but i was going with irish slices for well over an hour, and like condor the last few mokes of the bowl does get a bit yack, but by the time it gets to that point it really is the last part of the bowl.
    Also irish slices stays incredibly cool on the bowl, tongue bite is an issue when you go at it furiously but keep it slow and you will never have a problem.

So what wins?
    Well that depends on your viewpoint if you try both, the tobacco that trumps it for me is condor, condor has been around for years and even though it is a love it or hate it tobacco, it has stood the test of time and is still a big player when a whole host of brit otcs have went by the way and dissapeared, condor is unique and im sorry but nothing will come close, dont get me wrong i liked the stokkebyes irish slices and i would buy more, and even though it has the taste of condor you know it isnt, it is a fine tobacco by any stretch of the imagination and it has the same bootful of nicotine as condor, ( i smoke cigs as well and since i finished the bowl of irish slices at 1pm i havent had a cig).
    So would i recommend it for old time condor smokers, yes and no, i would recommend they do it like i did, get an ounce and try it see which they prefer but as for replacing condor permanantly, no way, i just wouldnt have the heart to do it, i would miss that strong powerful aroma before i even lit up and the gorgeous contemplative smoke it produces.

But for those of you that havent tried condor and are thinking of it, i would possibly recommend trying the stokkebyes first and if that is liked then move onto condor.
    All in all it is a good alternative for condor but it could never be a good replacement, as tobacco in its own merit stokkebyes irish slices is one of the best flakes i have tried, but as a tobacco to go against condor it comes in second place for me.

happy days to all

rusty likes this.
  2. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Member

Peter Stokkebyes Irish slices?
    I've never heard of this blend.

3. craig

craig Active Member

exactly which is another reason condor wins it out at the end of the day as no one has hardly ever heard of irish slices, on the james barber site it is simply called irish slices and i had a curosry look on tobacco reviews.com and that was the only one i found on there which sounded similar so i am assuming that this is a peter stokkebye blend.

4. Slow Tri

Slow Tri Is it Friday yet?

Here is what it says on TobaccoReviews.com:

Previously blended by Murray's, this tobacco is now blended by Peter Stokkebye and is available as a bulk blended from several tobacconists in the UK.

Hopefully we will get this in the US sometime.

5. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

You would probably like 'Bulwark' too Craig (another old British favourite - now made by Stokkebye), but alas - like the one you mention, extremely difficult for many here to get hold of!. One or two tobacco listings infer a resemblance, or alternative to Condor - but IMO it's like apples V. oranges!....there is only one big C :)
    OT

craig and Mington like this.
  6. buistd

buistd Sales Account

In my opinion Irish Slices is quite a different blend from Condor. I think the advice that it will please Condor smokers is that it is a full and robust blend. To my tastes there is no flavouring added to the Irish Slices so it doesn't have the scented quality of Condor. I also find Condor quite a bit smoother than Irish Slices, which dry my tongue and throat quite a bit. By my ratings system, Condor is an A2, whereas Irish Slices is a B1. A2 means I will definitely buy it again but do not prioritise buying it too heavily, whereas B1 is the best of the tobaccos that I will smoke again but probably won't buy.

7. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

....So, you wait for someone to give you some then?:ohyh:
    OT

8. buistd

buistd Sales Account

That's the way the rating system works! If I don't pay for it I'll smoke pretty much anything. Not many tobaccos get a C rating. I go to a couple of pipe clubs so there is quite a bit of tobacco swapping going on.

9. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Member

Ahh
    that explains it
    looking forward to it's arrival on this side of the big pond

10. rusty

rusty Member

Its rare I use anything else but condor, long cut or ready rubbed. Love it :)

11. craig

craig Active Member

yeah i have been interested in the bulwark ted, and your absolutely right it resembles and has a taste of condor but it really is like apples vs oranges theres only one and only ever will be one condor.
    But i dont know i think because i seen the tagline a good alternative to condor smokers, i think it affected the way i rated it, dont get me wrong it is a brilliant tobacco in its own right and i will buy more, but as a replacement no way.

12. craig

craig Active Member

i think you would like it rusty, it does have a similar taste and slower burning but condor will always come out on top

13. rusty

rusty Member

You could be right going on the description Craig. I might try different tobacco's again sometime. I may have expected too much on what Iv tried in the passed, but Im happy with condor :)

14. craig

craig Active Member

if your happy with what your smoking mate then carry on afterall if it aint broken dont fix it :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.