1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Tobacco storage: Tin ---> Mason jar

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by bubbagump, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

So...I bought a couple tins of tobacco. For some reason, I was thinking that the tobacco (12 oz per) would take up more space, so I bought 1 quart jars (should have gone with 8oz). Instead, I've got one jar with 12 oz of tobacco (packed in good).

For long-term storage...am I better off packing the tobacco in tight to get as little air in the container as possible...rather than packing it loosely into two jars? I had hoped to end up with one container for long-term storage and one for short-term (to top off my weekly stash). It looks like I'll have to get smaller jars to accomplish that.

Edit: Correction...i'm a dummy. The total volume of a one quart mason jar (assuming you pile it to the top) is 32 oz.

2. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

generally, about 2oz tobacco fits in 8oz. (volume) jar

3. bubbagump

Are you loosely packing the tobacco to achieve that 2oz tobacco per 8oz jar...or is that pressing it down? I piled 12 oz of tobacco in a ~24 oz container. Should I pack that down into two one quart jars?

Edit: Correction...i'm a dummy. The total volume of a one quart mason jar (assuming you pile it to the top) is 32 oz.

Lesson learned...I don't need 1 qt jars. Now I have to figure out what the hell I'm going to do with a dozen of them, lol.

4. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

I'd also be interested to see if there is any preferred method to packing them in the jars, some I have packed in there real tight while others i've packed in loosely. Haven't been aging them long enough to tell any difference at this stage.

5. user3610

user3610 Member

I too have wondered abou this...cue old guy advice...

6. bubbagump

One thing I'll say...there's a night and day difference (in terms of in jar aroma) between the Captain Black regular/white I just opened vs. my 1+ month old stuff that's been sitting in a tupperware container. I noticed my 1Q aroma fade as well (again...tupperware container).

I would imagine that this was due to a combination of factors: 1. The containers being constantly opened, 2. Tupperware isn't airtight, and 3. When left in a loose packed container, there is a greater volume of oxygen than with a container that is packed full of tobacco.

7. user3610

user3610 Member

I would think pack it as tight as possible to preserve, but then again when you get a tin- they're not packed super-tight.

8. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

I'd say that depends on the brand and blend. Some tins seem to be packed pretty tight (most of the Petersons for example) but then something like the H&H tins are packed quite loosely.

9. derrickyoung

derrickyoung Member

From G.L. Pease interview on pipedia

Bond, cmkiefer and AussieTX like this.
  10. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

Any input on what, if any difference how tight the tobacco is packed into the jar makes?

11. user3610

user3610 Member

I think we're supposed to gather from the interview that some air is good if not necessary. Therefore super-tight packing = not good.

12. bubbagump

If that were the case, vendors wouldn't push the idea of vacuum sealing bulk orders.;)

13. user3610

user3610 Member

...unless they figure everyone's just going to jar them up. ;)

14. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is in an undisclosed Bunker

I use qt jars for bulk storage. I put about 8 oz of flake in a qt jar, a little less of ribbon cut. I try to leave a little air on top of the tobacco. For tins, I use pt size jars. 50 gms doesnt fill it too much but I don't want to use too many different size jars. They are harder to store then. I usually leave them in the cardboard box that they come in, so I can stack them easier. 100 gm tins fit just right in the pt size jars. I buy the plastic lids for jars that I open to smoke from so I don't have to deal with the 2 piece lids every time I want to grab some to smoke.
    This works for me.

15. phinz

phinz Active Member

I pack almost a pound into a quart jar. Has worked for me so far.

16. JRobert

JRobert Serious Cat Forum Guide

I pack jars as tightly as I can for long-term storage. Even tightly packed there is still some air. I use small jars (4 oz) for smoking "soon" -- if I take tobacco out of a larger jar to refill the "soon" jar, and the remainder will fit in a smaller jar, I move it and pack it as tightly again. I don't use a hydraulic press or anything, I just put a canning funnel in the top of the jar and use my hands to press the tobacco in as tightly as I can. Too much air allows the tobacco to dry prematurely, in my opinion. One pound usually fits in three 16-oz jars.

This discussion comes up often. I don't think anyone really knows "the answer." The best anyone can say is "has worked for me so far" -- but that's good enough for me. GLP recommends leaving tobacco in the tins for aging. All the tins I have opened have been tightly packed.

17. bosun

bosun Active Member

I've just started cellaring so I have no first hand knowledge of aging. Two pounds of Epiphany (C & D ribbon cut) fills three quart size large mouth mason jars with a little left over to smoke now. I fill as much as I can, compress with my knuckles, and do it again until it is as full as possible. There will still be a good deal of air in between the strands so I don't think that is a concern. Like Flatbush Paul I also keep the jars in their original 'box' (flat) for ease of stacking, and you can put a post-it-note in between the cardboard and the plastic so you'll know what's in the stack of flats!

18. fallsguy

fallsguy Member

19. bubbagump

20. fallsguy

fallsguy Member

Nice!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.