1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Tobacco storage

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Nonpareil, Oct 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nonpareil

Nonpareil Member

Hi gents. Here's the story. As with any other topic in this forum, there's thousands of different opinions and misconceptions about how to properly store and preserve our precious leaf. In my specific case, being serving in the military poses a lil problem... cramped quarters, frequent movings, roommates that sneak their noses on my stuff and others. With that being said, its not a really good idea for me to have purpose specific storage solutions (jars). Usually my storage consisted of zip-loc bags, along with all my pipe gear inside an old ammo can so my stuff doesnt get damaged inside my seabag while on travel. Recently i switched to small mason jars and coin humidifiers. They fit in my footlocker easily. Lets discuss different storage devices and preservation techniques.:bing:

2. shadow

shadow Active Member

I keep my bulk tobacco, which comes in 500g zip lock bags, in empty 100g tins. This has the advantage that I only ever have to open one tin instead of one large container.
    For my daily usage I have two Parker Baccy-Flaps and a Flake tin. They are of a handy, practical size and fit into all pockets or pipe bags.

Nonpareil likes this.
  3. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Get some leakproof food storage containers. They come in a wide variety of sizes and in my case, I've loaded up a few with empty prescription bottles, the nalgene ones, and that keeps my leaf well for quite a while. Way better than zip locks and much lighter and smaller than an ammo can. I grab one of the small boxes and take it with me if I'm on a drive or whatever situation I'm in where I'll need/want a variety of smoke but can't take a flat of jars!:)

Ed
    Puff

4. BluesGuy

BluesGuy Member

Just a tip for those that store baccy in used tins......get yourself some heavy duty rubber bands....wrap one around the can....this really helps seal the can and you baccy will stay fresher longer.

5. Nonpareil

Nonpareil Member

I like the leakproof container solution, specially for travel. I guess i chose the small mason jars because they fit on my footlocker, and they are cost effective. Ill let you guys know in a couple days how it works. As for the rubber bands in tins, i do have a problem with square tins, the lid never seals correctly... It would be wise to transfer tinned tobacco to a jar?

6. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I have most of my stuff in tins or Mason Jars but, I also use another style of ziplock (but stronger) are these Mylar Bags I have over a pound stored in these and it seems to be doing just fine.
    For traveling purposes they also work well. It beats worrying about having glass jars for travel.

Nonpareil likes this.
  7. Prof

Prof Member

Ok, here I go again...for smaller amounts (1-2oz or thereabouts) you still cant beat the plastic "test tubes"...cheap, food grade, air and water tight, and indestructible...I dont make any profit on these but I wish I did...I have about 50 blends now in tubes for daily carry, they conceal well in shirt or coat pockets...and YES I guess I came up with the idea...heheh.
    If you run a search you will find my mentioning this several times, best ones can be found on http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/product/test-tubes look for baby test tubes or baby soda bottles. Check out what they are, you will get the idea. I use Ball jars for bigger amounts, tubes for carry...See what you think...

BradNTX, ATXPipe and Nonpareil like this.
  8. johnhwatson

johnhwatson Member

For tropical/desert climates inside a fridge but make sure you use an airtight container otherwise the tobacco will be flavored

Nonpareil likes this.
  9. Nonpareil

Nonpareil Member

Those look pretty convincing for travel storage my friend. Thanks for the info!

10. Prof

Prof Member

No prob! Hope they work out! I really think you will like them, you cant use them let me know, I will buy them from you.

11. Nonpareil

Nonpareil Member

Any opinions on humidifying devices, proper humidity and techniques?

12. Chuck S

Chuck S Member

Good info, I might look into those test tubes. I usually find my pockets overstuffed whenever I bring a pipe with me for the day, so something smaller would definitely help.

13. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

How are they for storing flake tobacco? Do you have problems with stuff getting jammed in the tubes with a 2-ounce fill?

14. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Store it sealed (in glass or the BSB tubes) as it comes from the factory. Whatever moisture level it ships at is usually good for storage, too. A lot of tabak ships too moist so, if you opened a tin a week or two ago it's a little dried out, it's probably still good to store airtight as is.

By the way, moisture buttons or an apple slice may stop tobacco from drying out if you carry it around in a baggie or a tin for a few weeks but, if well sealed, they can over-wet the tobacco and mold becomes a possibility when it's warm enough. I wouldn't be adding moisture before storage unless you are starting with something that's badly dried out. Re-wetting dried out/crumbling tobacco to perfection is easy enough when you need to do it. Put it in a bowl and cover it with a very damp (but not dripping wet) towel for a few hours or a few days, depending.

15. shadow

shadow Active Member

Yes, the old apple or potato slice trick: I can only warn everyone of doing this!!!
    Some years ago I tried to re-humidify some tobacco with an apple slice. Not only did the tobacco taste horrible, it was also mould infested!!! Grrrr!!!!
    Never again!:mad:

16. Nonpareil

Nonpareil Member

well im using "coin" humidifiers, i guess ill take em out once the tobacco is good enough.

17. Prof

Prof Member

Can things get stuck? Yes, if the tobacco is wet especially, but you just put the lid on and whip the tube downward...I have never failed to have the tobacco move down...if too tight, a pipe pick would do the trick.

Mister Moo likes this.
  18. Nonpareil

Nonpareil Member

So how often i should humidify the tobacco?

19. sarge564

sarge564 Member

Maybe I'm an odd ball but here's my story. When I first started smoking a pipe my brother in law convinced me I needed to keep my toby in a leather zip bag and a humi-coin in with it. I did as instructed. Took me forever to figure out that my toby was too moist and causing tongue bite and a general dislike for pipe smoking. blah blah freakin blah, Now I keep it in little Ball jars (brother in law's great grandmother was one of THE Ball jar family) If my toby gets too dry in my roll up or pouches, I throw in a small strip (size of index finger) of damp paper towel. The toby sucks out that moisture and its good for me. My 2 cents, change please.

20. notsavd

notsavd Member

Low tech and cheap.....glass peanut butter or jelly jars...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.