1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Tobacco Storage

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by r0n54, Feb 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r0n54

r0n54 Member

Jan 18, 2011
    I need some advice on storing my toby in bailtop jars. I have in the last week or two purchased some SG Navy Flake and a tin of Maltese Falcon toby. Right after opening both of them I put each one in a clean and dry bailtop jar and closed them up, locking the lid. I have opened each one several times to load my pipe and promptly close and lock the lid. I have noticed that the jars are fogging up on the inside of the glass. Is this normal ? or is there too much moisture in the toby ? Do I need to open the jars for a period of time to let the air dry things up a bit ? Or do I need to empty the jars, dry them out and let the toby dry some before putting it back in. I dont want mold to start growing, or is this something that is not a concern. Please let me know, many thanks........
  2. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

Nov 27, 2009
    The moisture level when you put it into jars is what the blender gave you. I would leave it as close to original as possible for storage. The only time I would dry tobacco out before jarring is for those PG laden blends that are packaged over-moist to improve shelf life in plastic bags. Neither of the blends you listed are that type.
    I've seen the fog build up inside my jars and have never (knock on wood) had any problem with mold. I have noticed here in Arizona, the moisture condenses on the glass as the temperature goes up and is soaked up by the tobacco when the area cools down.
    You might get some better advice from someone who has had a problem with tobacco mold. I'd just leave it alone, smoke it, and enjoy it.
  3. MikePiper1

MikePiper1 Member

Jan 28, 2010
    It sounds like your jars are being exposed to too much heat (possibly being exposed to sunlight?)
    I would try moving your jars to a cooler spot like a basement or an interior closet.
  4. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Hide them from the heat, unless the heat is in your pipe.
  5. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Anytime there is a quick change in temperature of several degrees to anything stored in a sealed container, there will usually be condensation like when you take a can of soda out of the fridge and sit it on a table. As long as there is not a significant change of temperature your tobacco should be fine. I have always kept mine stored in a cabinet in my bedroom inside of sealed Mason jars with the twist lid and with the bail type lid also, and have never had a problem.
    GOD BLESS!!!
  6. GetToDaChopa

GetToDaChopa Member

Feb 4, 2011
    I keep my tobacco in a jar together with one of those silicone moisture absorbing things, is that ok to do? :S

So far so good.
  7. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Jun 13, 2010

You shouldn't need to have
    anything other than your toby
    in the jar, unless you are
    re-humidifying it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.