1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Tobacco tastes......

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Dutchking22, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

I have smoked a wide array of blends and seem to find that upon the initial light-up, that the secnt of the previous blend of tobacco is still in the bowl. Most of the time it is a pleasing mix, some times it is not. Anyone else have this happen? Can I fix it? Thanks for the help!

2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Most recommend having pipes reserved for certain types of blends, if not for a specific blend (if you can afford enough pipes for that - I know I can't!)

So if you smoke a lot of different types of tobaccos, its a good idea to have one for latakia blends, one for non aromatics, and one for aromatics, as a basic set up. If you've been smoking a strong tasting blend in a pipe and want to start smoking another blend in it without the overlap, you can often "clean" the pipe of the last blend's flavor by smoking a few bowls of a rather neutral blend in it before switching to something else. A good bet is PA or some other burley blend with a pretty neutral flavor that will mix with most rather gracefully.

Like you said a lot of times the taste combination is pretty inoffensive, but I wouldn't want to smoke an aromatic in a pipe I'd been using for strong English blends or vice versa. Some flavors don't mix so well.

3. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

Thanks for the tip, but sadly, I can not afford the mutiple pipes.

4. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I've heard good things about cobs but can't vouch for them, having never had one of my own.

I can say that a couple bowls of PA will quickly clear any remaining flavors in my pipes if I choose to start smoking something new in said pipe. Even if you aren't a huge fan of PA (probably other similar blends like Granger or Carter Hill or Half and Half would work) if you can manage to smoke two or three bowls it should burn off the remaining flavors. A pouch isn't very expensive, and will help prepare your pipe for something better.

5. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

I have a pouch, and no complaints about the cross breeding of toby, just wondering if anyone has that problem. Thanks

6. Brian

Brian Member

Yup. It happens. If it bothers you, branch out into some corn cobs so you can have more pipes. You can also pick up cheaper briars over time. Believe me, I don't spend a lot on pipes. I have 2 Dr. Grabows that cost me about $30 each, 4 or 5 corn cobs, and then I was lucky to score 5-6 free basket-pipe-quality briars from a friend who's grandfather owned a pipe shop while still living. He had a box of 'em sitting in the basement collecting dust (good smokers though!).

I recently got a Forever Stem for the corn cobs from Walker Briar works. WoW! Really improved the air flow and overall experience. 1 $25 fancy stem I can use with all my cobs.

7. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

I have a few pipes, and the mixing of tastes has yet to really effect any of them, to be honest

8. Bent

Bent Member

I don't really have this problem anymore, mainly because I smoke mostly Balkans and have quite a few pipes. I had this issue years ago when I was new to the pipe and smoked an aromatic in the same pipe I smoked a blend with Latakia.

The issue might be that you are smoking extremely different blends in the same pipe, which you have to watch out for. Don't smoke, say, a Virginia flake in a pipe where you smoke a cherry blend.

I understand not being able to afford multiple pipes, when I first started all I could afford were a couple of basket briars. Believe it or not, corn cob pipes are great to add to any rotation and, while they won't replace my briars, they are a nice addition, I always keep 2 or 3 handy. Get a couple of corn cobs while you can get enough cash to buy a nice briar, that should help with the issues. Stick with MM cobs and you'll be fine.

9. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

Picked up a couple MM's once because I thought they where cheap pieces of junk. Happy to say I was wrong, now I just need to finish the stems!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.