1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by buistd, Oct 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buistd

buistd Active Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Hi there - I have noticed a few people mention tobaccoreviews.com on this forum. I have used it many times in the past to choose tobaccos but my one problem with it is that you have no idea if the reviewer really knows what they're talking about. It would be good if people could use this thread to list their tobaccoreviews usernames so I (and others) can have more of an idea of a reviewers preferences.
  2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Feb 11, 2010
    Sorry for the confusion. My screen name over there is yinyang. :D
  3. taharris

taharris Sales Account

Sep 22, 2011
    I would suggest ignoring the stars and go right to the written reviews.

Try to read at least ten of the written reviews and I think you will be able to develop a good idea what the consensus is and which reveiwers are full of :poop:.

4. johnhwatson

johnhwatson Member

Jun 2, 2011
    You can click on the reviewer username and then see all his previous reviews. If someone gives 4 star reviews of tobaccos you like and then gives 1 star to one you're thinking of trying then take the review more serious than someone who in the past has given Bokum riff 4 stars
  5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Feb 7, 2011
    That's the problem with the internet as a whole. There are no fact checkers.

Just view tr.com as a slew of personal observations rather than facts and you'll be fine. It's a guide, nothing more. Find some reviewers whose tastes are close to your own and read their other reviews. Over time, you'll have something at least moderately useful.
  6. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Mar 17, 2011
    It's true that there is a lot of crap on TR, but a little reading usually reveals the personality and trustworthiness of the reviewer. People have lots of different reasons for writing reviews there; some write to be informative, others do it for their own benefit, sort of like their own online tobacco journal, and still others try to be entertaining or contrary, which are the ones that are usually least useful. Obviously experience as a pipe smoker in general and with a particular tobacco both play a part in the quality of the review. Avoid paying much attention to people who review a tobacco based on 1 bowl of it, as many tobaccos demand more than that to reveal their character to a smoker, and their review may be tainted by a ghost, or may reflect a poor selection of pipe for the blend. Also avoid reviews that begin, "I don't normally smoke/like [insert style here], but I'll review this anyway...".

Tobaccoreviews.com has historically taken a rather laissez-faire approach to moderation of the site, which is both a strength and a weakness, but in the 10 years or so that it has been up and running it has accumulated a massive database of reviews. My chief complaint is that reviews that are clearly not objective, or those that don't review a tobacco to style, are not removed or bumped to the bottom. Pretty much anything that you throw at the wall over there will stick.

People's tastes are always going to differ in some respects, and even the most trusted reviewers' tastes will not always match yours. Personally, I don't write reviews there as I doubt my ability to encapsulate my experience in such a review, but I do look at it when I'm considering something new. Many of our esteemed members write reviews under the same screen name they use here, and I've found most to be helpful, but if I really want to get opinions on a blend, I find that engaging in a conversation about it here is a little more informative.

7. beaupipe

beaupipe Active Member

Nov 21, 2010
    I review under the creative and highly different name "beaupipe." There are a handful of good reviewers over there. Dm Kerr is one of the good ones. I really like the reviews of NapaWineLover, though he doesn't seem to review anymore. Similar tastes between me an him.
  8. Waino

Waino Active Member

Apr 12, 2011
    Yes, my dear Watson. Sometimes we use intuition, sometimes deduction. Borkum Riff needs no stars at all. So logically.. uh... well, never mind.
    HCraven and Mark w4mms like this.
  9. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Jun 16, 2011
    +1 on what Herb said, as usual, he pretty much nailed it .
  10. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Vaperburlataro ! Mayor

Sep 25, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.