1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Tobaccos improved by rehydration

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by johnhwatson, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnhwatson

johnhwatson Member

Today I rehydrated some Highland sliced tobacco which had been sitting in a draw inside a pouch for almost a year and was very dry. When first opened a year ago I didn't like it much but now after being rehydrated (placed in a bowl with a damp towel over the top for a few hours) the flavor I disliked has mellowed and it has turned into a very good tobacco.

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Rehydration restores a lot of tobaccos, particularly virginias. I have less success with latakia blends.

3. Beale

Beale Active Member

Question? How do you know if a Tobacco is too dry?

4. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

When it's in a little tin with 'snuff' written on it!
    sorry Beale!....really sorry!

Beale likes this.
  5. johnhwatson

johnhwatson Member

The method I use with flake tobacco is if you fold it in half and it breaks apart then it is too dry

6. Old Ted

Old Ted Active Member

Last winter I smoked a couple of pounds of 'Virginia Squire', which arrives deliberately on the dry side, I liked it as it came - but increasing the moisture content really boosted the flavour IMO.
    OT

7. Beale

Beale Active Member

Ted I thought it was Funny as heck!

Ok next question. With Cigar smoking I always used Distilled water. Do I need to do the same with Pipe Tobacco? The reason I am asking I have a 2Qt Mason Jar that I put some PS LNF in. It came to be IMO a bit dry.

What would be the best method to rehydrate this whole jar? Thanks Beale.

8. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I bought a tin of G&H Rum Flake awhile back. I thought it was ok but not much more. I smoked maybe 1/3 of the tin but it was too moist. So I left it sitting, lid on, and figured Id give it a month or so and try it again. It got misplaced and when I rediscovered it a couple months later it was crispy and dry. I rehydrated it and gave it a try. It is much, much better. At least to my taste.

I use tap water to rehydrate (oh the horror...) and it works just fine. I open the tin and put it is a large ziplock bag. I fold up a wet paper towel and put it in there. Just in the bag, not over the tobacco. I seal it up and put it in a warm place like out in my sun room. It'll be perfectly rejuvenated in a day or so. Works great.

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I've got a humidor jar that is really airtight . I'll pop a dry blend in there for a day or two/three ... and it's back . I wonder if Tupperware would work the same ?

Ronv69 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.