1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

tobaccos to stock

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by dubhdarra, Sep 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

I'm asking for a little help with this, i have a prospective list of about 25 tobaccos i'm going to pilot in tins at the shop, but i want to get a few more opinions. I'm not asking for people's favorite tobaccos, rather for stuff that A) either sold well in a shop you've worked in B) you consider industry standards or C) you've seen sell well at your local B&M

the brands i'm looking to stock right now are GL Pease, Peterson's, McClelland's, and Samuel Gawith; additional blends are Erinmore flake, OGS, skandinavik, escudo, McCranies red ribbon, Sail, and Mick Mcquaid (the last two because we have loads of europeans in our town). we already stock tons of stokkebye, mac baren and lane limited.

I'd really appreciate any advice people want to give, if you see something that's not up there or theres something up there you think is terribly misguided, please let me know.

thanks guys,
    -Liam

2. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Dunhill and Davidoff

3. Traderbob

Traderbob Member

May be too much of a duplicat of GL Pease, but I like the C&D blends and see them in several shops that I frequent.

Bob

4. phinz

phinz Active Member

+1 on the C&D blends. There are some very interesting C&D blends out there.

5. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

W.O. Larsen, Rattrays, and..and..
    okay, that's all I got.

dp

6. jmiket91

jmiket91 Member

I'd look into Butera. Pelican is AMAZING, and supposedly is a good substitue for Squadron Leader (I've never had SL, so I can't make that claim for sure). Plus, it's pretty cheap as it's around 9 dollars a tin.

7. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I'd consider staying with C+D and McClelland because they supply lines are more local, so you shouldn't have any of those "Does anyone have any Pelican?" sort of days or months like we've been having with Butera, Germain (Esoterica), Gawith etc.

8. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

Thanks for the input guys, i'd managed to miss a lot of obvious stuff because i'm always off in my little english world. i'll definitely be calling a few more wholesalers today, so keep em coming!

9. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

I have thought about this myself just in a "If I had a shop" sort of way.

I'd have to say I'd stock G.L. Pease and McClelland for sure. No brainers. Super good blends, made in the USA and supply is just not ever an issue. You could add C&D to that list too.

I'd also stock Mac Baren, again, good blends with a good supply line and a fair price.

After those I would look at Rattray & maybe G&H.

As far as tins those would be my main ones. There is something for everyone in there. I'd add in Stokkebye, Lane and McClelland bulks and you are set.

Now, in addition to that I would try to keep Presbyterian Mixture, Escudo, Erinmore & OGS.

If/when I could get Esoterica and Sam Gawith I'd get it but we all know how that supply line has been. I wouldn't want to count on getting it to pay the bills.

10. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I think the guys are right-regular stock is just that...regular. You have to have a stable 'pipe'line (get it?) of 'baccy's so as not to frustrate customers. The others...SG, Germain, et al, would just be extras you'd look to stock (when available)on the periphery of your main tins. You want your customers to be loyal, and again, the word regular. A guy haulin' ass to your place (maybe from quite a distance) once a blue moon to snatch (or worse, miss out) a solitary tin of FVF is not the best customer to count on. A guy who prefers FVF, but is happier knowing he can get his second fave, say Blackwoods Flake, each and every time he crosses your threshold, that's probably ideal. My thoughts.

That said, the usual suspects listed: C&D, GLP, McClelland, Peterson, Stokkbye, K&K...etc.

11. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

Peterson, dunhill, escudo, OGS in addition to the bulk tobaccos

12. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Member

Just a personal opinion:
    Since so many pipe smokers are still looking for their favorite OTC tobaccos (and Drug Stores and Discount Stores are taking them off of the list) I would LOVE to find a B&M that sold tubs of Walnut, CH, PA, etc..

For too many years, B&Ms looked down on these blends, but, they are still selling very well over the Net. Maybe there would be some local money to be made.

Just something to think about.
    Dan

13. jmiket91

jmiket91 Member

I think that's a great idea. The B&M I go to sells a lot of SWR.

14. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Gawith, Hoggarth & Co has killer stuff in bulk and a row of that stuff in large glass jars would stand out to anyone [ ropes, plugs etc .. ]

McConnells stuff is tops [scottish cake , honey dew etc ]

WO larsen [ perfect ,sig , old fash ] ... oh my

Wessex

15. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Yep, mix it with some of the newer brands and have kind of a "Best of both worlds" thing going on.

16. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

i'm definitely getting good ideas here, thanks for the help guys :)

17. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

OTCs are a no-brainer. I think a decent selection is a must.

18. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

What kind of contracts do you have to put in place with your vendors?

As far as the list goes, McClelland for sure, and if you get something going with C&D, then you've also got Hermit and Pease, so that takes care of the Americans. Petersons seems a logical choice, but again, I'm not sure what importers carry what choice of tabacs.

Edited to add, remember that your boss is not trying to build a cellar, he is trying to move products, big difference.

19. kirbyb

kirbyb Member

For your airo smokers, take a look at the CAO blends, good quality stuff. Very good line of cigars as well.

20. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

That's the truth! Remember what you or we like doesn't mean squat. What is important is what sells and what has the best margins. I use to own a pretty good sized sporting goods store and I had a hard time coming to grips with that when I started out. I wanted to stock the stuff I like, the stuff I use. First rate, top shelf stuff. Well, problem is in my area you'd be hard pressed to sell $1500+ rifle scopes and $600+ fly rods even though I love them. But I could sell $89 scopes and $100 baitcasting reels all day long. I liked G&H duck decoys, the market supported Flambeaus. I could go on and on. When I first got into it I thought people in my area didn't use quality gear because it wasn't available and they were uneducated about it. That if I brought it to town and spent time educating folks to the benefits of the good stuff they would buy it. Wrong. Sure, I sold some but I could do bigger volume of the stuff the general public preferred.

You'll end up with Prince Albert smokers who could care less what the latest and greatest is. They can afford whatever they like and they like PA. I give you a quote from my retail mentor, a 70 year old man who was in the sporting goods business over 50 years- "If they want a whatzit, sell 'em a whatzit!"

It'll take some trial and error to get the right product mix. You'll hit some home runs and you'll swing and miss some too. Just part of it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.