1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Toby and Chemicals

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Driftwoodsound, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Driftwoodsound

Driftwoodsound Member

After smoking for a few months now I've been wondering about the chemicals added to pipe tabacco.
    From what I've read there are a lot fewer chemicals added by the manufacture compared to cigarettes which is good news.

Do they add chemicals to change the burn factor? Chemicals for greater addiction?
    I understand certain chemicals and flavors are sprayed on the aromatic blends. Could anyone elaborate on what these chemicals are?

Cheers,
    Driftwood

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Water, alcohol, PPG, kitchen cupboard flavorings...vanilla, clove, etc. Occasionally mouse droppings and fingernails, but no more so than in your typical Nestle Crunch bar.

3. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Don't forget nuclear waste. Oh never mind that's only in Borkum Riff.

ArtisanArcher likes this.
  4. Driftwoodsound

Driftwoodsound Member

Ha, that explains it. Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish was the first tobacco I tried. Made me wonder what the hell you guys were on about and why anyone would choose this as a past-time. Lucky for me I'm persistent and found something smokeable.

5. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I'm pretty certain most of the chemicals in
    cigarettes are in the paper. Someone
    correct me if this is incorrect.

dp

6. MakDragon

MakDragon Illegitimi non carborundum

The paper and the filter!

7. MakDragon

MakDragon Illegitimi non carborundum

I got to thinking yesterday........ I too fell victim to the information on smoking and cancer and heart disease years ago. I even didnt mind too much when my state went smoke free in restaraunts, although I never minded eating in an establishment that allowed cigars and pipes. I just never cared for the smell of cigarettes and I am sure it was a combination of the toby and the paper and the filter and Lord knows what. Reading a lot of posts her in the past have led me to a healthy schepticism of the dangers of tobacco. Conspiracy theory? Overzealous do-gooders? Uninformed masses? Part truth/part fantasy and cooked facts? - I am still searching for the truth. I love my pipes and my cigars and dont smoke either enough to be considered a "Smoker" by insurance companies, etc. BUT here's my pondering.......... I see a tremendous amount of cigarette smokers in my area, two well established cigar and pipe stores close to home, I know many, many people that smoke a tremendous amount of cigarettes. Keeping this in mind, my question is why are there not a proportional amount of lung cancer victims? I hear of people suffering from that malady, even know one who beat lung cancer, but logically, I wonder why there is not more incidences of such if the dangers were proportionate to the crusade against tobacco..... Just ranting here. (while I enjoy some Players Navy Cut)

8. shadow

shadow Active Member

An excellent post! I smoke hand rolled cigarettes in addition to my pipes. And there's one thing I always observed: Ready made cigarettes, once lit, kind of "smoke themselves", whereas pipes, roll-ups and cigars go out if not puffed on regularly. So there must be something (or lots of things!) else in cigarettes that we do not get when smoking our pipes.
    Anyway: We all know about the (potential) health risks, and we're clued up enough to decide whether we wanna take that risk or not! I did!!!!!

Happy smoking!

MakDragon likes this.
  9. Marc

Marc Active Member

The only additives in a quality pipe tobacco would be food grade casings, flavorings, toppings etc. and I would say most major blenders like C&D, GLPease, McClelland’s etc. do not add other additives to their tobaccos and I know for a fact there are no additives in McClelland Virginia's, that's why I smoke them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.