Toby prices

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Puff The Magic, Mar 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

It ain't gettin' cheaper boyz & gurlz! Noticed approx 20% price increase on many of my purchases this year in comparison to last year.

The shape of things to come.................

I know some of it is supply vs demand that's driving the pricing up (because they can) and laws/restrictions/taxes are driving the pricing up as well.....but all of this means to "Cellar Now" if not yesterday!

Get some jars and some toby today! Next year/month, it won't be as cheap to buy!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

2. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

Yes, it is the sogn of the times. They will try to price us out of being able to enjoy our pipes. Then us hoarding tobacco causes us to have the shortages. It's a cycle that replays over and over now.

3. WisconsinPiper

WisconsinPiper Member

All legislators should be made to smoke a few pipes before voting for these stupid tax increases/restrictions.

And we elected these idiots...... :yikes:

4. badbusinessman

badbusinessman ☺️

Are you sure all this cellaring isn't what's driving prices up?

5. Puff The Magic

I'm sure taxes have much more to do with it moreso than cellarin'

B&Ms and etaiers see the writing on the wall too. Their bulk prices are what tins sold for last year. Tins are 20-25% higher too if not in excess of msrp if a toby mfr offers one.

Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

6. David L

David L Member

I agree with the first point.....

and disagree with the second.

They're all thieves and liars. I didn't vote for any of them! :peace:

What's interesting is that I remember riding around years ago with my family (and even when I started driving) and I would see tobacco fields everywhere here in central KY. As of right now, I wouldn't know where to go to actually find one....they have disappeared. Definitely signs of the times, I believe.

7. daveinlax

daveinlax Member

Shop around, I didn't pay a dime more for my mail ordered pipe tobacco and cigars than I did last year. :bling:

8. tylerupchurch

tylerupchurch Member

I use to live in Ohio right next the river and there where tobacco crops lining the river for a good ten miles, makes me wonder if they are still there. Its been about 7 years since iv been there.

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I'm not aware of any new taxes on pipe tobacco lately . There very well may have been . If not then I guess the mfg's could have raised their prices in which case the wholesalers would as well . I dont think that retailers would mark up products thinking ... " well , it's gonna cost more later so I'll raise it now " . Retailers dont like to raise prices cause each time they do they gotta see the faces of their customers and it's not a fun thing . The cigar boom was the worst . Every quarter for a couple of years the wholesale prices would go up . The sad thing then was it wasnt the government doing it .. it was the industry .... they priced themselves out of a cigar boom . So as far as it goes .. if the government dosent tax it to some stupid degree then the industry itself will see how far they can push a popular product before the bubble pops . Trends are just a weird cycle of the free market . Hopefully pipe smoking wont be to trendy . The internet might be a good way to quietly bring people to pipe smoking ... we dont want Rush L smoking a pipe and talking about it on the radio to millions of people cause then youll see prices go up every quarter . At that point the posers drop off and the salty dogs are stuck with high prices

10. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

For all the buzz about pipe tobacco sales increasing I have yet to see any real increase on the street as it were, In the last 6 months I have not even seen one other pipe smoker. I would think the pressure on supply has to be coming from us. In a world where it is getting hard to find pipe tobacco even where cigarettes are sold, people who do smoke are stockpiling for the future.

11. tylerupchurch

tylerupchurch Member

are they lumping pipe tobacco in with cig tobacco? if so thats B.S

12. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

If prices went up on any of my favorite "boutique blends", it hasn't been enough for me to notice. OTCs here seem about the same, but I'm lucky to live in the same state as the John Middleton Co. which has a lobby strong enough to prevent any pipe tobacco tax from being passed in the state house.

13. atwageman

atwageman Member

There has been some slight increases on the manufacturing side with C&D and McClelland. Not all blends, just some. Some retailers have passed the increases on to the consumers and others have not.....at least not yet. All the more reason for me to keep on cellaring in huge volume before prices really go thru the roof.

14. DMWyatt

DMWyatt Member

Not knowing where along the river you used to live, I can't say for certain. I can say I don't recall ever seeing any along western tract from a few miles east of Cincy on over to Lawrenceburg, IN when I lived down in Florence.

15. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Maybe those retailers are just taking their cue from the prices on eBay :whistle:

16. tylerupchurch

tylerupchurch Member

in gallia county i think it was called right by the birded where all that crazy moth man stuff happed.

17. Puff The Magic

Let's see.....SG SL $73/lb.....that's ebay (low ebay) prices but it'll move. I'm glad I picked it up for $48/lb. That's 50% and the 48 was last fall.

Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

P.S. the 73 is at COJ's now......lb's & halves....limit ONE/customer.

18. tylerupchurch

tylerupchurch Member

bridge*

19. slr

slr Member

Purchases of SG Flakes, bulk by the pound, 6 months ago from the best priced e-tailers was around $33 (including shipping). This week it jumped to $66 per pound from the same e-tailers who usually offer the best prices on bulk tobacco. I also noticed massive price hikes on GH flakes, and some Dan flakes like Hamborger Veermeister (bulk by the pound), also include Peter Stoykabe bulks. Massive price hikes. Just the sign of the times in this industry.

So hoard if you can. It will not get better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.