Todays Stogie 2013 - Watcha Puffin?

Discussion in 'Cigars' started by Mister Moo, Apr 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user2453

user2453 Member

[​IMG]

Started today with one I found hiding.
    [​IMG]

D-Pap, Brian Stephen and psquared like this.
  2. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

[​IMG]

Watching some sumo wrestling and enjoying a nice cigar. I wonder what the poor people are doing...

3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur - some limited edition corona shape I got on closeout from JR for 2 bucks a piece a while back. They're a larger corona - similar to the Excalibur #4 but they came in gimmicky packaging and they called them something else, a name some other line(s) uses but that Excalibur doesn't normally. I want to say maybe almirantes?

Either way, it has a decent bit of age on it, and it's just a fantastic smoke.

D-Pap, Brian Stephen and Moose like this.
  4. SC Smoker

SC Smoker Member

Well, I know I'm not the most prolific poster, but I honestly haven't smoked much lately. Seems I've been "too busy". However, last night after supper I did get to enjoy an AF Short Story. Seems that's been my "go to" smoke as of late and last night it certainly reminded me why that is. Really nice cigar that doesn't require an undue amount of time to enjoy. Happy Thursday!

D-Pap, Brian Stephen, Moose and 3 others like this.
  5. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Leoninos Corojito...second one of the day, fourth cigar

D-Pap likes this.
  6. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Principe to start the morning on a mild note with my morning tea. I figured it's my birthday so even if it's not a fancy one I ought to have a cigar this morning before class. On deck for later: Bolivar Gold Medal. Also likely a Bolivar Cofradia belicoso

D-Pap, SidZiff, Marker and 1 other person like this.
  7. psquared

psquared DGErwin, my horse would like a word with you...

:bday:

nesta likes this.
  8. Marker

Marker Active Member

BGM are excellent. Happy Birthday.

D-Pap likes this.
  9. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I plan to find out :)

Marker likes this.
  10. Marker

Marker Active Member

There is no plan, only do.

Brian Stephen likes this.
  11. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Just got in about an hour ago, and just snipped and lit up the Bolivar Gold Medal about one or two minutes ago. So far so good - very smooth, tasty smoke...anxious to see how it develops! This smoke is thanks to Spillproof, who sent me this cigar and the Bolivar Cofradia belicoso to try back in October...I decided pretty quickly that I ought to save them for birthday smokes :)

D-Pap, psquared and Marker like this.
  12. Marker

Marker Active Member

Note, try to punch BGM and any flat capped cigars. You can stand that head on a table.
    Anxious to see what you think. Spill, Russ, WWJ and I have discussed the BGM in detail.

13. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I only have a guillotine cutter and only have the one "BGM"

About an inch, inch and a half into it and I have to say it's pretty close to perfect. Silky smooth, medium-full bodied despite the total lack of harshness, gorgeous, ruddy wrapper, slight nutty underflavors and some wood in there, and being a narrow ring gauge the flavors are building and getting more intense and complex pretty quickly...this is sure to be a heck of a birthday smoke.

It's a little early to call it, but I suspect it may beat the Cohiba Siglo III or the Montecristo No. 4

A very slightly uneven burn is my only complaint, but it's still in the earlier stages of the smoke, so it may very likely rectify itself

Edit: it did. And holy moly, just now got a strong taste of maple - like maple syrup would taste if it wasn't sweet. This is one crazy good son of a gun

Marker likes this.
  14. Marker

Marker Active Member

Should have hit some vanilla or crème possibly in there. One of the smoothest cigars you will find.

15. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

What I don't get is how it can be so strong in nicotine, be definitively medium bodied in flavor, and be so smooth all at once. I hate the adjective "smooth" to describe smokes in general, but nothing else fits. This is among the very best cigars I've ever smoked, up there with Cohiba, Cuaba, Montecristo, and Partagas ccs, and Opus X, VSGs, the better Gurkhas, Tatuaje and other fine smokes.

I thoroughly enjoyed all three previous cigars of the day (one Principe, two Parodis), but needless to say this is just a totally different animal. Down to the last few inches and the cedar is really exploding.

16. Marker

Marker Active Member

Now you can see why people fight over the definition of strong and body. They are not the same. Can't remember the date code on that one. I have two left. My precious...

Brian Stephen and psquared like this.
  17. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

See, to me it seems like something which should be common sense to anyone other than non-smokers or special-occasion smokers.

Usually mild cigars are also weak (as far as nicotine) and full bodied cigars are also strong...Macanudo vs. Joya de Nicaragua are good examples...but there are some obvious outliers - including plenty of maduros which, while fuller flavored than most Connecticut wrapped smokes, often use the same mild fillers.

18. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Finishing up a CLE Cuarenta robusto fresh off the UPS truck.....not too shabby. Think I'll fire up a CLE Corojo after I stuff some food in my face.

Marker, Thanks again for the great trade. So many nice sticks that I can't decide which to smoke next. Not a bad problem to have...

:punk:

D-Pap, Brian Stephen and psquared like this.
  19. CaKy

CaKy Member

A Filthy Rodent crossed my path this evening. It didn't stand a chance.

[​IMG]

20. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

I actually ventured out to the cigar bar for the first time in months. I had an illusione mj12 and a L'Atelier Surrogates Crystal Baller. The mj was a little to mild for me and I prefer the skull breaker over the baller. Both not bad, just not my cup of tea.

D-Pap and psquared like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.