Todays Stogie 2013 - Watcha Puffin?

Discussion in 'Cigars' started by Mister Moo, Apr 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Bolivar Cofradia (Honduras) Belicoso Fino

First smoke of the day, and it's treating me right so far:th1:

This is a very good smoke in it's own right - full bodied, lots of cedar, some spice, and a bit of leather. It's not overly complex, and fairly straightforward; not very dynamic, it doesn't evolve much as the cigar is smoked except for the expected intensification of the flavor.

All things considered, this is a very good smoke, and I enjoy it a lot. I think I'd enjoy the narrower versions better - I've had a few of the "Cuban corona" sized sticks in this brand and loved them, but that was a handful of years ago. Straightforward and honest, with big (if a bit static) flavor. Flawless construction and burn, I have nothing bad to say about this cigar, though it's obviously not as exquisite as the Gold Medal. Next time I place an order with JR, I'm pretty likely to get a box of the Palmitas - a 5x38 petite corona which, if the construction quality matches this, should provide a quality smoke in a format I may enjoy a little bit more, and at an extremely competitive price (50 bucks for a box of 25, though I'd be tempted also to try El Rey del Mundo Reynitas, same sized cigars in another full flavored brand I enjoy but at 53 bucks for a box of 30 - both look like tremendous bargains for good cigars)

D-Pap, Brian Stephen and Marker like this.
  2. SidZiff

SidZiff Member

An excellent start to a Saturday morning.

[​IMG]

Lots of subtle flavors in this one.

[​IMG]

3. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Alec Bradley Tempus (this was yesterday afternoon, along with Corona "Familiar"....this beer is dedicated to Johnny Dingo :toast:)
    I've only had the AB Prensado & Tempus, and liked them both very much!
    [​IMG]

4. SidZiff

SidZiff Member

We've got some sunshine today before the rain comes back later in the afternoon. I was able to combine a bit of work and pleasure.

[​IMG]

It's a little windy today so the burn was a bit wonky, it would have probably caused Spill some anxiety. :whis:

5. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

An Ave Maria Belicoso courtesy of Marker. Very nice and oh so smooth!

:th1:

6. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I came home from Ohio to find a package outside my door - 45 cigars and two tins of tobacco for my pipes.

One bundle of 25 maduro Punch Elites seconds, one bundle of 20 A.J. Fernandez overruns in a corona shape.

These sticks have a brown (very slightly reddish) wrapper with a tiny pigtail at the cap, are about 5 inches long, maybe just a touch longer, and look to be about a 42 ring gauge. From what I'm seeing I'd guess Man o War Puro Authentico - any other possibilities? Apart from another bundle of overruns (lonsdales, suspected Virtue) I have no known experience with this cigar maker, but I really like the cigars I've had. I'm looking forward to what will likely be a stronger smoke.

Anyway, I'm about to have one of these after dinner.

7. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Holy moly, this is one spicy little smoke! I'm loving it.

8. Texvet

Texvet Member

Perdomo Reserve Criollo 10th Anniversary - Nice and spicy

D-Pap, FlatbushPaul and Moose like this.
  9. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Excalibur Maduro:th1:

D-Pap, Brian Stephen and Moose like this.
  10. CaKy

CaKy Member

A little Brazilian Carnival this afternoon...another first of this label for moi. Primer Mundo La Hermandad Cabillito. I think that's spanish for "Cactus Pepper If Yer A Snorker". Mmmmm.

[​IMG]

D-Pap and FlatbushPaul like this.
  11. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Hot as hell outside, calls for an island cigar.

[​IMG]

D-Pap, psquared, FlatbushPaul and 3 others like this.
  12. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Puro Autentico as far as I'm aware....fiery devil, liking it :th1:

I GOT IT - Old Joe Krantz. This cigar reminds me of Old Joe Krantz!

D-Pap, psquared, Marker and 1 other person like this.
  13. CaKy

CaKy Member

Breezy but still warm on the porch tonight. Perfect time for a short n fat La Aurora Preferidos maddie. But anytime is good for one of these little treats.

D-Pap, Marker, psquared and 1 other person like this.
  14. Brian Stephen

Brian Stephen Member

Cuesta-Rey Centenario Tuscany while at work today. Mild, but nice.

D-Pap, Marker, psquared and 1 other person like this.
  15. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Another one:

[​IMG]

Marker and psquared like this.
  16. Moose

Moose Active Member

Had a CAO Brazil last evening. Nice smoke, will be adding a few more to the humi.

nesta, D-Pap and Marker like this.
  17. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

I have to go out, job related, so I get the chance to smoke a cigar. I brought an Illusione Epernay Le Petite with me today in anticipation. As advertised, this cigar is more sweet and floral than spicy. It's a very nice change up from a normal Nicaraguan cigar.

18. D-Pap

D-Pap Member

Finally got a day off. Been working 14hr days the past couple of weeks. Now I can relax.
    image.jpg

19. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I like those - but it seems some of my favored sizes have been pushed aside and/or discontinued in favor of some crazy big ring gauges. The cariocas are good, but I wish you could still find the Pirhana. Better yet, I think I'd like that blend in a solid 5.5X44 size....not too big, not too small. A panatela might be neat, too, though.

Marker likes this.
  20. Marker

Marker Active Member

Last few days have been some really good cigars with even better friends.

Sunday:
    Por Larranga Asia RE belicosos - stunning cigar. It might have cracked my top 10 all time. Not a general PL fan but this one shined.

Monday:
    2008 Cohiba Sig IV. A friend gave me this after I traded him a 2008 Sig VI since he had never smoked that format. Both the Sig VI and IV were spot on Cohiba. 2008 Cohiba seem to be hitting well.
    Quintero Favoritos - A good bargain second cigar for the night. Burned well enough and had nice flavor. I wasn't going to overanalyze the thing but glad it wasn't bad. Last 1/3rd was a little blech but what can you expect from a $3 cigar from the lsland?

Tuesday:
    Ramon Allones Portugal RE - It was decent but not worth the upcharge over a RASS or RASCC.
    Monte PE. This was a 2012 but smoking wonderfully. Best Monte PE I have ever had. 2012 is looking like a great year for production.

Wednesday:
    Foundry toroish size while waiting for a friend to show up. Was very good. A few friends bag this cigar that they do like it or flat out terrible. I have had a few and enjoyed them. To each their own. This size has been the best of the lot.
    Had a couple fingers of Evan Williams bourbon while deciding what to do. I like this bourbon but it is really sweet. Almost too much. Reminds me of Amontillado. Good in certain situations but too sweet in others.
    Went to a local bar that stores a decent scotch selection.
    I had the Scapa 16. My first Orkney scotch. Hints of orange and chocolate. Something I would look at buying if I found it on sale. Friend had Lagavulin 12. Heavy peat and burn with a brine finish. Definitely a light sipping scotch. Our Moscow Mules showed up so I finished the Lagavulin.
    Got back to my place about midnight. I had some more Evan Williams and a Bolivar Royal Corona. The weather was excellent. The mosquitos don't like smoke I guess :snork:. Good for me. Love the BRC. Need to order a lot more. Milked that until just before 2am and headed in.

Mount Mandolin, SidZiff and psquared like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.