1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Todays Stogie 2013 - Watcha Puffin?

Discussion in 'Cigars' started by Mister Moo, Apr 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Bolivar Cofradia (Honduras) Belicoso Fino

First smoke of the day, and it's treating me right so far:th1:

This is a very good smoke in it's own right - full bodied, lots of cedar, some spice, and a bit of leather. It's not overly complex, and fairly straightforward; not very dynamic, it doesn't evolve much as the cigar is smoked except for the expected intensification of the flavor.

All things considered, this is a very good smoke, and I enjoy it a lot. I think I'd enjoy the narrower versions better - I've had a few of the "Cuban corona" sized sticks in this brand and loved them, but that was a handful of years ago. Straightforward and honest, with big (if a bit static) flavor. Flawless construction and burn, I have nothing bad to say about this cigar, though it's obviously not as exquisite as the Gold Medal. Next time I place an order with JR, I'm pretty likely to get a box of the Palmitas - a 5x38 petite corona which, if the construction quality matches this, should provide a quality smoke in a format I may enjoy a little bit more, and at an extremely competitive price (50 bucks for a box of 25, though I'd be tempted also to try El Rey del Mundo Reynitas, same sized cigars in another full flavored brand I enjoy but at 53 bucks for a box of 30 - both look like tremendous bargains for good cigars)

D-Pap, Brian Stephen and Marker like this.
  2. SidZiff

SidZiff Member

An excellent start to a Saturday morning.

[​IMG]

Lots of subtle flavors in this one.

[​IMG]

3. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Alec Bradley Tempus (this was yesterday afternoon, along with Corona "Familiar"....this beer is dedicated to Johnny Dingo :toast:)
    I've only had the AB Prensado & Tempus, and liked them both very much!
    [​IMG]

4. SidZiff

SidZiff Member

We've got some sunshine today before the rain comes back later in the afternoon. I was able to combine a bit of work and pleasure.

[​IMG]

It's a little windy today so the burn was a bit wonky, it would have probably caused Spill some anxiety. :whis:

5. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

An Ave Maria Belicoso courtesy of Marker. Very nice and oh so smooth!

:th1:

6. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I came home from Ohio to find a package outside my door - 45 cigars and two tins of tobacco for my pipes.

One bundle of 25 maduro Punch Elites seconds, one bundle of 20 A.J. Fernandez overruns in a corona shape.

These sticks have a brown (very slightly reddish) wrapper with a tiny pigtail at the cap, are about 5 inches long, maybe just a touch longer, and look to be about a 42 ring gauge. From what I'm seeing I'd guess Man o War Puro Authentico - any other possibilities? Apart from another bundle of overruns (lonsdales, suspected Virtue) I have no known experience with this cigar maker, but I really like the cigars I've had. I'm looking forward to what will likely be a stronger smoke.

Anyway, I'm about to have one of these after dinner.

7. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Holy moly, this is one spicy little smoke! I'm loving it.

8. Texvet

Texvet Member

Perdomo Reserve Criollo 10th Anniversary - Nice and spicy

D-Pap, FlatbushPaul and Moose like this.
  9. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Excalibur Maduro:th1:

D-Pap, Brian Stephen and Moose like this.
  10. CaKy

CaKy Member

A little Brazilian Carnival this afternoon...another first of this label for moi. Primer Mundo La Hermandad Cabillito. I think that's spanish for "Cactus Pepper If Yer A Snorker". Mmmmm.

[​IMG]

D-Pap and FlatbushPaul like this.
  11. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Hot as hell outside, calls for an island cigar.

[​IMG]

D-Pap, psquared, FlatbushPaul and 3 others like this.
  12. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Puro Autentico as far as I'm aware....fiery devil, liking it :th1:

I GOT IT - Old Joe Krantz. This cigar reminds me of Old Joe Krantz!

D-Pap, psquared, Marker and 1 other person like this.
  13. CaKy

CaKy Member

Breezy but still warm on the porch tonight. Perfect time for a short n fat La Aurora Preferidos maddie. But anytime is good for one of these little treats.

D-Pap, Marker, psquared and 1 other person like this.
  14. Brian Stephen

Brian Stephen Member

Cuesta-Rey Centenario Tuscany while at work today. Mild, but nice.

D-Pap, Marker, psquared and 1 other person like this.
  15. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Another one:

[​IMG]

Marker and psquared like this.
  16. Moose

Moose Active Member

Had a CAO Brazil last evening. Nice smoke, will be adding a few more to the humi.

nesta, D-Pap and Marker like this.
  17. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is in an undisclosed Bunker

I have to go out, job related, so I get the chance to smoke a cigar. I brought an Illusione Epernay Le Petite with me today in anticipation. As advertised, this cigar is more sweet and floral than spicy. It's a very nice change up from a normal Nicaraguan cigar.

18. D-Pap

D-Pap Member

Finally got a day off. Been working 14hr days the past couple of weeks. Now I can relax.
    image.jpg

19. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I like those - but it seems some of my favored sizes have been pushed aside and/or discontinued in favor of some crazy big ring gauges. The cariocas are good, but I wish you could still find the Pirhana. Better yet, I think I'd like that blend in a solid 5.5X44 size....not too big, not too small. A panatela might be neat, too, though.

Marker likes this.
  20. Marker

Marker Active Member

Last few days have been some really good cigars with even better friends.

Sunday:
    Por Larranga Asia RE belicosos - stunning cigar. It might have cracked my top 10 all time. Not a general PL fan but this one shined.

Monday:
    2008 Cohiba Sig IV. A friend gave me this after I traded him a 2008 Sig VI since he had never smoked that format. Both the Sig VI and IV were spot on Cohiba. 2008 Cohiba seem to be hitting well.
    Quintero Favoritos - A good bargain second cigar for the night. Burned well enough and had nice flavor. I wasn't going to overanalyze the thing but glad it wasn't bad. Last 1/3rd was a little blech but what can you expect from a $3 cigar from the lsland?

Tuesday:
    Ramon Allones Portugal RE - It was decent but not worth the upcharge over a RASS or RASCC.
    Monte PE. This was a 2012 but smoking wonderfully. Best Monte PE I have ever had. 2012 is looking like a great year for production.

Wednesday:
    Foundry toroish size while waiting for a friend to show up. Was very good. A few friends bag this cigar that they do like it or flat out terrible. I have had a few and enjoyed them. To each their own. This size has been the best of the lot.
    Had a couple fingers of Evan Williams bourbon while deciding what to do. I like this bourbon but it is really sweet. Almost too much. Reminds me of Amontillado. Good in certain situations but too sweet in others.
    Went to a local bar that stores a decent scotch selection.
    I had the Scapa 16. My first Orkney scotch. Hints of orange and chocolate. Something I would look at buying if I found it on sale. Friend had Lagavulin 12. Heavy peat and burn with a brine finish. Definitely a light sipping scotch. Our Moscow Mules showed up so I finished the Lagavulin.
    Got back to my place about midnight. I had some more Evan Williams and a Bolivar Royal Corona. The weather was excellent. The mosquitos don't like smoke I guess :snork:. Good for me. Love the BRC. Need to order a lot more. Milked that until just before 2am and headed in.

Mount Mandolin, SidZiff and psquared like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.