1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Todays Stogie 2013 - Watcha Puffin?

Discussion in 'Cigars' started by Mister Moo, Apr 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marker

Marker Active Member

The GOL is the pick of the litter. The rest of the sizes don't shine nearly as much. Something gets lost in the smaller ring gauge of this cigar. Same with the CAO America. Best in the Potomac. The rest are pretty terrible.

mojo66, Johnny Dingo and nesta like this.
  2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I've only had one CAO America and didn't much enjoy it. I don't remember, but I may have one in the humidor waiting a second chance.

I like the Brazil in the more ordinary sizes. The Ipanema was great, and didn't need to exceed a 50 ring gauge, an the same can be said of the Lambada. I don't think they make the Ipanema anymore though, which is a shame because it was really good when you're in the mood for a nice long smoke. The Lambada at least is still around.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Gol!, I just think such unwieldy cigars have a major strike against them, even if the flavor is good. To me a cigar is about more than just good flavor. It has to be pleasant to smoke on other levels, too, and being uncomfortable to hold or uncomfortable in the jaw makes a cigar far less enjoyable for me.

For what it's worth, though, for the size category I'd have to say the Cariocas and the Criollo Pampas are some of the best small handmade cigars out there...at least available on the US market.

Edit: Though the Joya de Nicaragua Machito does have them beat. They're still close to the top of the list.

mojo66 likes this.
  3. D-Pap

D-Pap Member

Have tried and bought both. They are some of my go-to sticks, and the best vitolas like Marker said are the Gol! and Potomac. But when has Marker been wrong about anything? Oh, the only complaint with the Gol is the cap. More times than not it comes apart when I cut it and leaves a little bit loose that I have to baby to prevent the cigar from unraveling. I'll have to try punching it next time.

mojo66 likes this.
  4. Moose

Moose Active Member

The one that I had (CAO Brazil) was either a short toro size or a robusto, can't remember as it was gifted to me. But will add more of these the next chance I get.

mojo66 likes this.
  5. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Wanted one more smoke before bed, but didn't want a major time commitment or anything too taxing (or expensive)

Principe Monarch to end the day. Nice, mild smoke

mojo66, D-Pap and Marker like this.
  6. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

A quick after lunch smoke.........A La Flor Dominicana Chiselito.

Another fine cigar courtesy of Marker.:snork:

mojo66, Moose, SidZiff and 4 others like this.
  7. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I have one more LFD Double Claro, and I really want to smoke it, but I know it will be so much more satisfying when it's hot out, and it's not even 80 degrees right now so I'll pass on it.

Ended up cutting into an A.J. Fernandez overrun. I have cigars currently from two bundles of these: one is a super spicy little corona with a pigtail and ruddy wrapper I'm pretty sure is Man O' War Puro Authentico, and the other is a lonsdale, mild to medium, buttery smooth and yet flavorful, with just the slightest hint of pepper up front which I'm pretty sure is Virtue.

I'm smoking the suspected Virtue. Both are fantastic cigars which I got for a song....I would recommend giving the overrun bundles a try.

mojo66, Moose, Mount Mandolin and 2 others like this.
  8. CaKy

CaKy Member

Ernesto ain't made a bad cigar that I know of...

[​IMG]

9. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Beautiful weather tonight, 69˚F (20˚C), 65%RH. Might be the last nice night we get for awhile, if not all summer, so I'm having a good cigar:

[​IMG]

10. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Oliva V double robusto & Glenmorangie Original.

Scored a couple V's at the package store for a little over $6 each......Damn, that's like online prices....:hbang:

11. PCR1

PCR1 Member

Last night: Padron 7000, tonight: Padron 4000. Did I mention I like Padron's?

12. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Marsh Wheeling Deluxe...these really are fantastic smokes for the price. Perfect for when you want a pleasant tasting, mild, and uncomplicated (read: one note) cigar to pass the time but aren't in the mood to burn through your bank account. At just around a buck a stick for a half an hour or more of smoking pleasure, they're hard to beat, and they certainly outperform virtually any homogenized tobacco wrapped blunt you'll get at the gas station. I really want to try the Old Reliable because they should be even more interesting (and stronger) as in addition to more typical cigar tobaccos, they also contain dark fired Kentucky, but as they only sell them in 100ct boxes at JR, it may be a while before I commit to a box.

One particularly nice thing about them, apart from being 100% tobacco leaf unlike most machine made cigars, is that they come with a closed cap which you cut yourself, which is less convenient than open ended stogies, but also avoids the problem some of them have with a build up of bitter tars around the hole. I like the candela Antonio y Cleopatras, but I always snip them anyway for just that reason.

mojo66 likes this.
  13. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Active Member

14. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Active Member

[​IMG]

Was saving this for a special occasion, but this much sin in Scotland IS a special occasion!

(Apologies for the double post, only just figured out how to embed images!)

psquared, Moose, mojo66 and 1 other person like this.
  15. SidZiff

SidZiff Member

A very pleasant Father's Day smoke.

[​IMG]

It carries a fair dose of Vitamin N as well.

16. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Garcia y Vega - English Corona. A fine vitola with nuances of leather, cedar, oak, and allspice. The chewy smoke simply pours out of this cigar as if it were smoking itself - the burn is razor sharp, leaving a fine, crisp, white ash.

Or maybe not. But it tastes like a cigar (although sweetened at the cap) and it's cheap. I'm enjoying it. It's not as good as Muniemakers, though.

Brian Stephen and mojo66 like this.
  17. mojo66

mojo66 Member

RP Edge Maduro w/Bud Black Crown... Lil rough around the edge this morning. :)

Brian Stephen, D-Pap and SidZiff like this.
  18. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

2008 Bolivar Gold Medal

[[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Man O' War Puro Authentico (I believe) overrun. These things are SUPER spicy on the first few puffs and I tend to think "what have I done?" and then a couple minutes later it's wonderful and I'm glad I lit it. I like the little nubby pigtail at the cap - just pinch and twist, no need to cut. :snork:

20. Brian Stephen

Brian Stephen Member

Enjoyed a Ditka Throwback made by Camacho yesterday. One of the best Maduro's I've tasted in quite some time.
    Montecristo Platinum earlier this AM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.