1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Todays Stogie - Watcha Puffin?

Discussion in 'Cigars' started by Mister Moo, Jul 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marker

Marker Active Member

I had the MF LB 1922 toro today. Excellent, but the petit robusto is still better.

2. Russ

Russ Member

Yesterday and today...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

yep, had most of a corojito, but it's getting pretty nasty (wind and ice) tonight, and I couldn't stand the open window and fan, despite the radiator, so the cigar was snuffed, incense lit, and the windows closed. Probably no more smoking this evening.....unless I want a pipe later. I bought a tin of camel snus in anticipation of the weather, though, so I should be able to go without smoking.

4. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

Happiness is getting the wife and kid in bed before 11pm.

[​IMG]

5. Johnny Dingo

I'm about an inch into this one and I'm pretty sure I'll be ordering more of these. The taste is strong, definitely has a little edge to it. My limited palate senses old wood and coffee grounds and some of that I-don't-know-what that I got from the Curivari. The burn is even and the draw isn't challenging me.

psquared and CaKy like this.
  6. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Sounds great. I've never had one but now I wanna.

7. Johnny Dingo

Further in, I'm getting a nutty flavor to it. The coffee grounds have died down and I'm getting a fuller tobacco taste. On the snork, it has that slight, pleasant sting you get from snorking Kickin' Chicken. The woodiness is still there. There is an antique shop in town that used to be a big old Victorian house. This cigar reminds me of it for some reason.

8. Johnny Dingo

Getting near the end the nut and strong tobacco taste becomes more pronounced, but it barely approaches anything that could be considered "harsh." I'm sold. This one is on the list.

psquared and Spillproof like this.
  9. Johnny Dingo

Next up is a San Lotano Oval from A.J Fernandez. I bought this at Rocky's on the rather vague recommendation from one of the guys working there. Let's see how it goes...

[​IMG]

Lighting it, I get a straight forward tobacco taste. No BS, no underlying complexities. After a few puffs I kinda get the smell of a new house being built. That wet, clean lumber smell. Nice actually.. So far, this is a pretty mild stick, though it may suffer as it's the second one I've had tonight.

On the shape. This thing fits my hand perfectly and I like the shape for puffing on.

Mount Mandolin likes this.
  10. Johnny Dingo

An inch or two in and the flavor hasn't changed all that much. The is a very slight chocolate note to it, almost imperceptible, but definitely there. There's a little bit of harshness to it, but nothing off-putting. The burn is remaining even and the draw is very easy. This is a cigar for session beer drinking. While a bit on the bland side for me, it is still enjoyable and I could see smoking this at a barbeque or beer fest, where you want a satisfying smoke, but don't want to waste time navel-gazing at trying to weed out distinct flavors while you're trying to enjoy some good wings or some nice ribs and beer.

11. Johnny Dingo

The harsh has definitely started up on this. It's creeping toward that "I-don't-really-feel-like-smoking-this-anymore" territory. I would give this cigar another try if it came in a sampler or if offered one at a party or a picnic. I'm not writing this one off. But after one previous cigar tonight, it might have suffered a bit. Overall, not a bad stick. Not the greatest, especially at the end, probably not worth what I paid for it in a NYS B&M. I might pick up another one to try at some point, but it's just not doing it for me tonight. There was a lovely pepper note to it earlier on, but I think it may have diminished with smoke-fatigue as the night progressed. I'm putting this one down as a might-buy-again smoke. I'd be interested to see what this stick does on a clean palate.

Tomorrow I will be burning some more stuff. I'm eyeballing that Perdomo and the Cohiba Red Dot I picked up earlier this week.

12. Marker

Marker Active Member

The oval was stored improperly at the B&M or something else strange happened. That stick in no way shape or form is harsh. Never will be. I will send you another in a month or so when you are ready for it.

13. Johnny Dingo

It was probably me. Maybe I smoked two sticks too close together. It was quite enjoyable for the first 2/3 of the smoke. Like I said, I'm certainly gonna give it another shot.

14. CaKy

CaKy Member

You're right on with Bueso. I don't remember which one I sent you but I think it was the robusto. I loaded up with 3 boxes of the toros and 2 boxes of the robbies. They just had a $20 off per box and they're not an expensive cigar. When I first smoked it when it first came over last year, I felt like it would be really good with some rest. We'll see how much better.

Johnny Dingo likes this.
  15. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Marker! Dude, I thought maybe you froze to death up there or something. Nice to have you back.

Having this from DocB via Secret Santa:

[​IMG]

Cain Maduro, well aged and tasty as hell.

16. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Another one from DocB:

[​IMG]

Old LFD, as you can tell from the old style band. This thing has a really rich flavor profile, very enjoyable smoke. Doc sent me a bunch of good ones.

psquared and Labman like this.
  17. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

^I miss the old LFD bands! They were way classier, if you ask me.

I just lit up something I haven't had in a handful of years. Montecristo Peruvian - Buena Fortuna (5x47) in the Habana 2000 wrapper.....this is, simply put, a damn nice smoke for not too much money. A perfect size in between a standard corona and standard robusto, medium-full bodied smoke, with some Peruvian ligero and a spicy but delicate wrapper (which looks immaculate, btw) beautiful whitish grey ash, slow deliberate burn (and straight), tons of flavor, initial blast of pepper but it smooths out into something wonderful in short order. Just about as good a cigar as I think you're gonna find for under 7 bucks....it has equals in it's price range, but I can't think of many that I like MORE than this for the money

18. Spillproof

Fuente Don Carlos- cream of the crop in many ways
    Bucanero El Capitan- really disliked that cigar and put it out.
    Gurkha Cellar Reserve Aged 15yrs- taste is a 10. construction is a 7 (canoeing and relights in the middle but then fine).

psquared likes this.
  19. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

that would disappoint me big time. I've had some uneventful Gurkhas, but never a flat out lousy one. However, I have had one or two of their perfectos, and the burn on some of those was all messed up....major let down when you've got what should on all counts be a good cigar (great blend, beautiful appearance, a well respected brand, and certainly expensive enough)

I'd try a perfecto from them again, but I'd be hesitant unless I was getting a good deal on them.

I've not had problems with burn on their regular shapes, though

20. Spillproof

It's my first of these and it's so dang tasty that I don't care (much) about a couple of hiccups along the way.
    Might have been me; started smoking this in my truck on the way home.

nesta likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.