1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Todays Stogie - Watcha Puffin?

Discussion in 'Cigars' started by Mister Moo, Jul 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I miss back when CI used to run wild deals on Gurkha...I remember the Legend being the big thing (and selling for over 15 bucks a pop if you could find them at a b&m) but you could often get a ten pack of Gurkha Vintage at CI and get a five pack of the Legends for free or like for five bucks extra or something. The Vintage weren't like the various vintage marked labels they have out now...they were a Connecticut wrapped mild snore-inducer...I mean, there was nothing bad about them, they were just a pretty standard mild-medium cigar, nothing special.

Still, they weren't expensive, and getting the deals when they would offer the Legends with them, I'd buy plenty of them.

I remember being on vacation with my folks in Key West. My dad got really drunk, and I was smoking a cigar and had a baggy with some cigars next to me, most of which I brought with me. He sat down and picked up one of the Legends and just bit the end off (because he'd seen people do that in movies) and lit it up without asking.

I wasn't thrilled.

2. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

OK, so, gun to your head and you had to pick, which is the better cigar, Don Carlos or Hemingway Signature?

Also, those Gurkha Cellar Reserve are weird cigars, man. I also had major construction issues with the ones I smoked, but I wouldn't have put the taste at a 10. More like a 7 or 8. It was one of the most unusual tasting cigars I've every smoked. I just really don't like Gurkha, I don't think. I've tried quite a few of their products, and I have never had one that made me want to go back for more. They're always weird blends that just don't do it for me. But they seem to sell a lot of them, so hey, good on them if they're doing well.

Having a Punch London Club for right now; will be smoking a larger, more "premium" cigar in a little while. Have to go out to the pub for a bit first though. It's a friend's birthday, and so naturally I want to be there to help her celebrate. These London Clubs really hold their own, though.

3. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

No, no guns to my head please. I mean, it's only a cigar man... here you can have them both (hands them to you).

I really liked the flavor of that Gurkha (obviously), but you have to remember I lit it up immediately after putting out a cigar I pretty much hated. It was woodsy and creamy and just plain tasty. Reminiscent of CAO and Fuente. The construction issues were all around the 1/3rd to midway point, then everything evened out (I also cut a larger draw at that point). I will smoke another one soon and report back sir.

psquared and Mount Mandolin like this.
  4. Mount Mandolin

Lol, OK, I don't even own a gun, so forget about the gun part. But really, I don't know if I could decide between those two, and I'm curious as to whether you would have a preference. I'm kind of inclined to say Hemingway, actually, but I couldn't tell you exactly why. I think it's because the Don Carlos is so mild, and the Hemingway seems to have just a little more oomph to it.

And yeah, maybe report back if you smoke another Cellar Reserve. The guy who used to work at my local cigar shop used to be a Gurkha rep, and he talked me into trying it. The construction and burn issues I had were significant, but I remember the flavor being quite nice.

5. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

I can't stand Gurkha.

'cause i know you all care.

Had a Opus Power Ranger earlier

6. Albert

Albert Active Member

Having another one of those parodi ammezzawhatevers with a sierra nevada after tons of wine and a few bali shag rollies and a bowl of old gowrie. I figured out parodis are for when nothing else did the trick and youve got quite a buzz... smilie chug

Johnny Dingo and psquared like this.
  7. Spillproof

Bunch of cigar snobs around here.
    Gonna smoke RP's all day just to upset you.
    (not really, I don't have any)

8. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

^And apparently, rich people to boot lol

I think I'll probably have a Principe pretty soon....maybe a Marsh Wheeling or Parodi :p:

9. Spillproof

And then there's YOU.
    Obstinate refusal to succumb to peer-pressure has been noted on your permanent record.
    And you can forget about your "I'm Part of the Hip Crowd" t-shirt.

nesta and psquared like this.
  10. Moose

Moose Active Member

Had my first Sancho Panza robusto yesterday evening that was gifted to me. Very nice smoke. Will be ordering these in the near future.

Had a Punch Gran Cru this morning. The jury is still out on this one. It was my first Punch cigar ever.

nesta likes this.
  11. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Hey, I like those fancy cigars all wrapped up in colorful paper, too...got a good handful of them laying around....but I don't like them enough that I will give up cheap cigars that I find pleasant

I for one cannot afford to keep my humidor filled with Opus X and "CCs" and ultra premium hard to find cigars. That kind of stuff is a special and very rare indulgence for me

Spillproof likes this.
  12. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Sancho Panza is great! Was it the regular line, or the maduro or extra fuerte?

Also, Gran Cru is okay, but I've only had a few of them and distinctly recall not being wowed. There wasn't anything bad to say about them, but I didn't exactly love them, either. Try Punch's regular cigars, they're really tasty and a great bargain. Honestly, though, of the ones I've tried the Grand Puro was my favorite Punch

13. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Had a couple of Corojitos so far today. I'm thinking I might fire up something fancy later on. I've got my eye on a LFD Double Claro 48....

14. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Nope....just lit up a Cohiba (DR) toro tubo instead. Saving the Double Claro for some sunny spring afternoon with a big mug of steaming hot oolong tea

15. Spillproof

Had my first Cain Daytona (*thanks Marker) today and really enjoyed it. Tasted great and burned perfectly.

Then had an Avo Classic #9. Enjoyed that vitola more than most other Avo's I've had; good surprise.

nesta, SidZiff and Mount Mandolin like this.
  16. Mount Mandolin

Oh come, now. You really think you have to be rich to smoke CCs or so-called "premium" cigars? And you know Opus cost a good bit more than a lot of CCs, right? In fact, none of the CC's I have cost more than an Opus, and most cost at least $5 less, some nearly $10 less. And I'm not going after you or anything, but hey, if you can afford to smoke a L'Anatra pipe, you can afford to smoke the cigars I smoke. A rich person I am not.

Although, I certainly wouldn't mind being one. :D

psquared and SidZiff like this.
  17. Mount Mandolin

It's Saturday, so I figured why not have a couple of good sticks. That's a good enough excuse right?

[​IMG]

These are going through a sick period right now, I think. Just kind of acrid and bitter, not all that enjoyable. Can't remember the box code, but I think they were rolled June '12. Which of course means the guys at cc boards will tell you they need four more years of age, lol. I'll come back to them in April or May, see how they're coming along.

[​IMG]

This one, however, was perfect, as Liga's tend to be. Have you ever noticed Liga's always have a perfect draw too? How do they do that?

Very rarely do I smoke two cigars this nice in one day, but hey, what the hell right? I bought them to smoke them, not look them.

18. Moose

Moose Active Member

The Sancho Panza was the natural wrapper. I was very suprised at how good it was. I had a coupon at Famous Smoke and ordered a box yesterday.

nesta likes this.
  19. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I'm not saying that at all. I'm talking more about the people who seem to smoke a 10-15 dollar cigar every single day, who smoke nothing else.

A $150+ pipe which will last the rest of your life with proper care is much different than a $200+ box of cigars which will offer 25 smokes or less.

Further, I made a conscious decision to get myself a few higher-end pipes before I went to school. I'm "in recovery" so to speak, and for a few years was living back at home. Well, once my previous debts were squared away, and I was working, and I was sober, but before I went to school, I had only a modest income but no place I had to spend it. Buying pipes and stocking up on tobacco on a regular basis seemed reasonable because at the time quite frankly I was made nervous by having too much money on hand. I certainly wasn't rich, but I had no other financial obligations.

Contrast that with people smoking multiple super premium cigars each day, while maintaining a reasonable standard of living beyond their smoking (I doubt there are many people smoking an Opus X or whatever on a daily basis after a big meal of mac n cheese) and, yeah, I stand by my statement. I understand that it is a sweeping generalization, but seriously....look through the humidor picture thread and TELL me that some folks aren't apparently very well off.

I'm not condemning anybody for it or anything. If someone can afford to smoke very expensive cigars on a regular basis, more power to them. What's the problem with the claim?

20. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Anyway, I'm smoking a Principe while I try to figure out what to do with this paper I have to write :oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.