1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Todays Stogie - Watcha Puffin?

Discussion in 'Cigars' started by Mister Moo, Jul 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Tremendously sorry for your loss, psquared. That's an incredibly difficult thing, and I know that from personal experience.

I will smoke this Liga Privada that I'm smoking in his honor. Having it with an iced coffee. Extremely satisfying, as always.

psquared and GlassSculptor like this.
  2. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

3. TTUSmoker

TTUSmoker Member

Gran habano Connecticut.

Rewster66 likes this.
  4. LawMonkey

LawMonkey Member

Continuing a brief hiatus from pipes with a Partagas No. 4.

Rewster66 likes this.
  5. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

Lately I've been smoking the last few of a bundle of Casa de Garcia I bought during the Christmas Season in November. These things go for less than $2 a stick, but when you rest them in the humidor for 6 months... Good gravy, are they exquisite! I like giving them to my friends to try that enjoy cigars, but I take the ring off & ask, "how much would you pay for a cigar like this? I always get the answer of about $6-$8. ($1.90 each) I should have gotten another bundle & started aging it. Oh well. Guess I have to start smoking my good cigars, LOL!

Rewster66 likes this.
  6. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Well, today's my birthday, so I went to the cigar shop...and noticed that La Flor Dominicana is now making some candela cigars! I think I've only had one or two before in my life, and I love LFD, so I couldn't pass up the opportunity. Sure doesn't hurt that this has to be the prettiest, brightest green candela wrapper I've ever laid eyes on. And it's my birthday, so why not just skip the corona and move right on to a (smallish) churchill??

[​IMG]

Is that a thing of beauty, or what?!

GlassSculptor likes this.
  7. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

All I can say is {expletive deleted}! This is one of the nicest surprises of ANY cigar I've smoked in the past year - and I've had some good ones, from the forbidden Cohibas to Opus X to Gurkha Vintage Shaggy to....well...a handful of gooduns every now and then to punctuate my pipesmoking.

I usually like fuller bodied smokes, but I do like a nice mild smoke to mix things up, and usually gravitate to medium-full bodied for my everyday puffing, be it with pipe tobaccos or cigars. As a candela cigar, I figured this would be impeccably mild, a nice change-of-pace...nothing too exciting, but a novelty, and while I expected it to be tasty, I figured I wouldn't be jumping for joy over it. I'm about halfway through the cigar, and EVERYTHING about it is good. It is NOT just a pretty face - it's exciting to smoke.

First of all, it's a good, solid, medium bodied smoke with enough nicotine to satisfy. Glad I got a churchill - this is a real treat and I'll be sad when it's over. The flavor is rich, slightly earthy but with some grassy, vegetal flavors which would be a downside in a regular cigar but just work perfectly with this one. It's very lightly, naturally sweet, fresh, fragrant, grassy - perfect for late spring. I'm not going to say it tastes like tea, but if you've not smoked a candela cigar, my initial impressions draw upon my love of hot beverages. If a regular cigar goes well with black coffee, this is the cigar for when you want a cup of rich, exotic, flavorful oolong or green teas. The color isn't the only thing which makes me think so, the flavor would just match so well. Not the same flavor, it doesn't taste like tea, but it would compliment it perfectly.

As far as this first smoke is concerned, the flavors aren't developing and changing to a substantial degree, but it is getting progressively, albeit only somewhat, earthier, deeper, richer, and with just a hint of pepper coming in. Never a hint of harshness or bitter aftertaste, this is smooth, medium bodied, and just enchanting in EVERY way. If it weren't so daggone expensive and hard to come by, this is one cigar I might be tempted to save up for a box of, even on a budget.

The draw isn't razor straight, but there are no major problems with it, either. It is well rolled, with a near perfect draw and a perfect density. I think I might be falling in love, and I think I found an LFD I love even more than the Double Ligero maduro.

Rewster66 likes this.
  8. GlassSculptor

Very nice post Nesta! That looks like a winning combination. :th1::th1:

Happy Birthday!!

9. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Thanks! I gotta say that I had just finished a big lunch of spicy szechuan beef and a veggie eggroll before lighting that bad boy up...and by the end I was positively swooning. This isn't your wimpy, yellowish-green Macanudo Jade...this cigar is a real cigar through and through. Medium upon lighting, but it hits you full force by the middle of the smoke. After a few minutes of recovery, I no longer feel like laying down and might even go on a bike ride to work off the Chinese takeout...but dang! I can't recommend this stick enough. The 1-3 candela cigars I'd smoked in the past had been nice enough, but nothing to leave a strong impression in my memory.

I've only had the one stick, but I WILL buy more. If another two or three are as great as this was, I might have to start thinking about saving up to buy a box. The only downside is they're expensive...and a box runs in the 150 range, and I just don't smoke enough cigars to want to spend that much money on 25 sticks...but just...well....I'm smitten!

Rewster66 likes this.
  10. Marker

Marker Active Member

The filler is still LFD full body. Don't let the slightly grassy and light colored wrapper fool you.

11. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Nice cigar and Happy Birthday Colin!!!! :bday:

12. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

Happy Birthday!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rewster66 likes this.
  13. GlassSculptor

I've yet to find a No.9......now I know where they all went.....:D

Enjoyed an Undercrown PLUMP Robusto earlier this evening.

[​IMG]

Rewster66 likes this.
  14. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I wanted to fire up this Casa ToraƱo tubo to top off a great day...so I did...I love this blend, but usually go with the toro. Anyway, this is a nice lonsdale shape, and I figured it would be good. So I snip it with my dull, old cutter...and actually get a perfect cut. I fire it up...no problem. But now, about half an inch into the burn and it's splitting at the seems near the cherry. I gotta be careful, I must be puffing this too hot...still nice, but little things like that disrupt my enjoyment!

Rewster66 likes this.
  15. Old Frontier

Old Frontier Member

NUB 460... small-'n-Chuddy! I LOVE IT!

Rewster66 likes this.
  16. Old Frontier

Old Frontier Member

Just got a few today from FC. :)

Rewster66 likes this.
  17. Jammer

Jammer Active Member

Toscano Antica Riserva.

18. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Antonio y Cleopatra "Grenadiers"....the first cigars I ever smoked and enjoyed. Used to smoke em while delivering newspapers at four in the morning, just after high school. Once in a while I give a machine made cigar a shot again to see if I can find one I like.

This is no home run, but it's smokeable. I really am not hating this. Viliger Export are better, but only a bit better. And hey, these were on buy one get one free, so I got twelve stinky stogies for under 10 bucks. I'll smoke em :)

Old Frontier likes this.
  19. xmacro

xmacro Member

Doo eet!! If they're fantasic now, just imagine what they'll be like after spending a year in your humi.

Yes, I am an enabler when it comes to buying cigars and filling humi's :)

20. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

Padilla 1932 today

Rewster66 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.