Todays Stogie - Watcha Puffin?

Discussion in 'Cigars' started by Mister Moo, Jul 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LawMonkey

LawMonkey Member

That's sort of been a plan, but I've yet to be able to execute it--even the cigarillos I've had last too long to make them feasible for going out for a smoke with friends.

Tonight, it's a Partagas No. 4 in the holder. These are currently the biggest disappointment in my cooler, and I'm trying to burn through them. They're tasty, sure, but plagued by construction and burn issues. This one, for example, has a nice canoe going on right now. I also had to repair the wrapper immediately after lighting. I will not be getting another box.

2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Try the new Spanish-made Romeo y Julietas. They burn more like a cigarette than a cigar, but they taste more cigarrish. They aren't amazing, but they're not too bad, and I think a few places are still offering them at a buy-one-get-one-free deal. They do use a homogenized tobacco binder, but everything else is real tobacco leaf.
    http://www.famous-smoke.com/romeo+y+julieta+minis+original+5~20+cigars/item+37857
    get the white/originals.....the blue aren't as good

3. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

Spot on

Thanks Ray, it was relatively minor but serious enough to where I got some nice meds out of the deal. I'll be back at it soon.

Last thing I need is a dry socket. That would suuuuuuuuck:confused:

GlassSculptor and psquared like this.
  4. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Dry socket sucks!!! :eek:

5. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Went to the b&m mostly for pipecleaners today, but also picked up a Sancho Panza Extra Fuerte corona, and a five pack of parodi cigars. Just lit up my first ever Parodi. Wow! These are actually pretty fantastic, despite the very low price an the fact that they are ugly as sin!

I was enjoying the Grenadiers fairly well for a cheap, machine made cigar, but these ugly little devils blow them clean out of the water. Now here is a cigar for the smoker of robust, old fashioned pipe tobaccos. This is like a small bowl of Irish Flake. And it's not surprising - according to such illustrious sources as the internet, these cigars use only American tobaccos, including some dark-fired leaf. Strong, robust, and rich without ever being harsh, they are dark and deep with full tobacco flavor, and I suspect the tip is slightly sweetened. They are dry cured which is fairly new to me, and slow to burn. I'm thoroughly enjoying this one, and if I enjoy the other four this much I WILL be ordering them in bulk. The fact that they are dry cured is actually a bonus - not needing a humidor, they leave room to keep some "fancy" smokes on hand, too!

6. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Which Fuentes do you enjoy? I really like Tatuajes and Illusiones but haven't explored the Fuente line other than a few Work of Art maduros and a couple Don Carlos #3's.

7. Marker

Marker Active Member

GlassSculptor, you have been missing out. Try an Anejo and it will blow away the WOAM and maybe even your DC3. The Flor Fina 858 are a great cigar for under $4 if you don't want to hit the $10 Anejo money all the time.

GlassSculptor and psquared like this.
  8. psquared

psquared DGErwin, my horse would like a word with you...

This ^^^^.

GlassSculptor likes this.
  9. GlassSculptor

Thanks! Sounds good to me. I'll try a few of both of them, that way it'll only cost me $7.......wait,....:cfsd:. I never was any good at math.

:D

10. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Man, I'm smoking my second Parodi, and I'm just as impressed as I was with the first. What an ugly cigar....but what a compelling smoke! I enjoy the flavor and richness of this disgusting looking machine made stogie at least as much as most handmade imports I've paid three or four times the price for. It won't stand up to a fine Cohiba from Havana, or an Opus X or Ashton Heritage or a La Flor Dominicana or anything....but when compared to your average mild bodied, garden variety premium cigar, I think this is not only AS enjoyable, I think it's MORE enjoyable.

If only they looked respectable, they'd be perfect! But hey, they have big time charm in their rustic qualities

11. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

Opus, Anejo, Short Story, Short Story Maduro, WOAM.

12. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Oh man. I was so impressed by the Parodis that I had to make a stop by a carryout on my way to pick up my sister from work and buy a pack of Avanti to try them, too. Somehow these may even be a little bit better! I think that after today I may be a diehard convert to these types of smokes.

13. GlassSculptor

Thanks gentimmy!

Enjoying another very well constructed Liga Undercrown Corona Viva.....:th1:

14. LawMonkey

LawMonkey Member

Srsly. My favorite vitola, time permitting, is the lonsdale--nice and long, so you get a few hours' worth of enjoyment out of it, and with a narrow enough ring gauge that a) your jaw doesn't get tired clenching it and b) you look elegant smoking it, not like some sort of cariacature of a fat Wall St. banker (even if you are a not particularly fat Wall St. lawyer). I think the CAO America Potomacs are where I top out on the ring gauge--a 56 ring. And that's only because they are really remarkably tasty--otherwise I top out at the classic 5x50 robusto.

15. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I don't have any understanding whatever of how you get such unreal long smokes from your cigars, but you, sir, have a gift! Still I agree - I prefer lonsdales for many cigars. Exceptions exist - certain sizes seem to not work well with certain lines, either because the rollers don't put as much effort into rolling them perfectly (draw and construction problems) or because certain blends just shine better with certain sizes. But all things being equal, I'd generally prefer a lonsdale

16. LawMonkey

LawMonkey Member

We should form an advocacy group for the lonsdale, then. Srsly--it seems to be a fairly rare vitola. Part of what made me into a Punch-lover is the fact that they have them. Outside of them and a few others, the combination of a 6.5 inch length and a 40-44 ring gauge seems fairly rare--if you get the length, it's in a Churchill ring gauge, and if you get the ring gauge, it's in a corona or smaller length.

17. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

Having my 4th ever handrolled cigar.. a Quorum Robusto.. not too bad for the price.

Rewster66 likes this.
  18. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Heck, I'd be happy if more brands even carried coronas....it seems anymore most of what you get are robustos/rothschilds, toros, churchills, 56+ gauge monsters, torpedos/belicosos, and then if you're lucky a corona as an afterthought. Lonsdales...as you said, they're even more rare than coronas....but now lanceros and panatelas...the real panatelas, not just petite coronas/palmas or cigarillos....they're all but dead. Only a few brands I know of make them, and mostly they aren't all that well made even if the blend is good. Casa Torano makes a maduro lancero, and it's beautiful and it's tasty enough but too mild a blend to satisfy most of the time and the lanceros often are rolled too tight...

And Darkly, Quorum really isn't bad at all! I do think Flor de Oliva is more bang for the buck, though

19. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

Ive actually heard pretty good stuff about the Flor de Oliva, but the Quorums were actually at a local place.. I did, however, add the Flor de Oliva to my slowly growing list of sticks that I need to get and try.

20. LawMonkey

LawMonkey Member

Corona's something like the perfect everyday size, IMO, and you're right--it's sadly neglected these days. I've got a box and two-thirds or so of 5 Vegas Classic coronas in my cooler--not just because I like 5 Vegas Classics, which I do, but because they're there with the coronas for me. In cigars, it's all about fashion, I think-- panatelas and lanceros were the thing a few years back; now it's 60 ring gauge monsters. I've not made an extensive survey, but I think that most of the brands offering the classic sizes are the classic brands: Punch, Partagas, Montecristo, Hoyo, with a few other post-Cuban classics like Fuentes and Macanudo.

... of course, when I actually look at what's on offer from these brands? It's not so pretty. Which is a shame--the corona didn't come to be thought of as the quintessential cigar size/shape for nothing. Extra love for Punch and 5 Vegas for keeping me in my preferred vitolas. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.