Todays Stogie - Watcha Puffin?

Discussion in 'Cigars' started by Mister Moo, Jul 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

May I ask an ignorant question?
    If a cigar that retails for $24 needs 5 years to rest, wouldn't that be, um... a ripoff?

2. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

extreme dgt

3. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Laid up in the coop and down with the croop. I am sicker than a dead horse but I am still smoking a Man O'War Puro Authentico. It is about the only thing I can taste right now.
    [​IMG]

4. Marker

Marker Active Member

I agree, that is why I don't buy them unless I know they are smoking well already for the born on date.

Spillproof, Rewster66 and Albert like this.
  5. andysc83

andysc83 Member

A lot of retailers overcharge for most Opus. The MSRP for all the regular line Opus is between $9-$16. The $16 sticks being the double coronas. The problem is finding a shop that actually sells at this price. As for the age, I kinda disagree with 5 years. I usually let mine sit for 1-3 years, but I have smoked Opus a few days after buying them and they have been some of the best smokes.

Mount Mandolin and Spillproof like this.
  6. Russ

Russ Member

Have you had the maduro yet?

7. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

depends on how you look at it. Some Regional CC's go for the same price and go through their "sick period" for a year or two

Spillproof and Marker like this.
  8. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

No Russ, I haven't. Are they good?

Marker likes this.
  9. Russ

Russ Member

Oh man they ARE. Watch for them on Cbid they pop up from time to time. If I had more than 1 left I would send you one. Next time I get some I will send some your way.

Mount Mandolin, Marker and Rewster66 like this.
  10. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Joya de Nicaragua Celebracion Consul. A very nice smoke! I think it's very mild compared to the Antano but it still was very satisfying and the construction was excellent. I didn't get much spice from it but I smoked it after a bowl of bison chili so it may be a different story next time.

I think I prefer the Antano when I'm jonesing for a punch in the head......:)

Marker and Russ like this.
  11. andysc83

andysc83 Member

First My Father in awhile. Was great!

[​IMG]

12. Russ

Russ Member

13. psquared

psquared DGErwin, my horse would like a word with you...

Now that looks interesting.

Rewster66 likes this.
  14. Russ

Russ Member

Is a Gurkha....

Rewster66 likes this.
  15. psquared

How was it?

16. Russ

Russ Member

It was great.
    Those are the only Gurkhas I will buy.

Rewster66 likes this.
  17. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

I have smoked several of those Cellar Reserves, Russ, and I still don't know what to think about them. I really don't like Gurkha in general, but that thing is, well, I don't know. It's weird as sh1t, that's what it is. I need to revisit it, I think. I remember the wrapper having an acrid taste but the blend being a good one, if memory serves correctly.

Marker, you just gave me some things to put on my "to-try" list. Got a bid put in on some Black Crowns, we'll see if I win them. I won't go high on them, but I'd like to give it a try since you say they pass muster. Gonna check out several of the things you put up. Still haven't had any Man O' War product yet either, so you guys are making me want to try those.

As far as Opus, I think the answer to Spill's question regarding Opus is a resounding YES, but I don't agree that Opus need five years. I think they're just weird ass cigars that are sometimes crappy but usually very good as long as you let them sit for a good 6-8 months or so. But what do I know, I am a novice compared to some of you guys. All I know is, regional release CC's (and their long "sick periods") are outside the confines of my spending limit and my patience (and humidor space). I've never had any kind of Edicion Limitada and never will unless someone gives me one, because I can barely afford the regular ones as it is.

And yeah, I just wasted all this space, and I'm not even smoking a cigar tonight. Just a bunch of Hamborger Veermaster.

gentimmy likes this.
  18. andysc83

andysc83 Member

Had my first Four Kicks after lunch. I loved it! Kind of reminded me of a Cuban.

[​IMG]

19. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Padron Anniv. Series 1964, fatty.
    It was a cold, wet, windy day in the field. I deserved a good cigar (*or so I think).

20. psquared

Duly noted.

SidZiff, Rewster66 and Spillproof like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.