too much cake?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by TedVig, Feb 5, 2012.

1. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

Okay I came across this pic and thought, "how does this even happen?"
    http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages...,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0&format=0
    ol gto and Brian Powers like this.
  2. nesta

nesta Kendal Dark

Must have been his best smoker! My friend's got his uncle's old pipes (all three of them....) on a bookshelf...one is an old Grabow Viking which is even more caked than that. Seriously, you could get maybe a 4 or 5 minute smoke from the thing, if it can even get any airflow anymore. Thing looks like you'd need to unbend a paperclip to tamp it! :old:
    ol gto likes this.
  3. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

The cake has cake! It's a case of having your cake and caking it too :rofl:
  4. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

That is simply ridiculous!:fpalm:
    IrishRover, Lestrade and Ted Vig like this.
  5. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

I was looking at a Falcon on ebay yesterday that had a similarly caked bowl. Dude, if you're going to sell the thing, at least take time for a rudimentary cleaning. Just nasty!
    IrishRover and BradNTX like this.
  6. shadow

shadow Active Member

I wonder what the inside of the shank looks like! :thdn:
  7. TRAVIS

TRAVIS Member

I got 12 estates a couple of months back and 6 were a lot worse than that maybe 5mm hole across the center and only 5mm deep. It was like trying to ream concrete, they still had good airflow and the shanks weren't that dirty either. other than the cake they bwere in perfect condition and cleaned up nicely. You would have to smoke a million bowls to get like that, at firdt i thought they hadn't dumped the adh and then smoked over it but they were solid carbon right to the heel. some hardcore smokin went on there.
  8. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

No doubt!
    Rewster66 likes this.
  9. 1858remington

1858remington Active Member

I just got 2 pipes in an auction that were caked up like this. The one, Kirsten full bent, cleaned up like a charm. The other, Falcon, had carbon that needed to be carved out with a good blade. How the previous owner ever smoked them with all the carbon plugging them up is beyond me.
  10. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery The Libertine

I get a queasy feeling in my stomach when I see excessive cake posts like this one.
    BradNTX likes this.
  11. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

One of the first things I learned buying estate pipes is that too much cake will crack a bowl, eventually.

I steer clear of pipes that are overly caked up. And I keep mine to a minium.
  12. Steve Dennis

Steve Dennis Member

That is a good question, at some point you would think the person would realize it was time for a cleaning.
  13. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

I've seen some pipes in antique shops that were caked shut. No idea how that's possible, but the chamber was filled solid with cake. I almost bought one or two of them just to try and clean them, but didn't want to waste my time and/or money.
  14. jhe888

jhe888 Member

I got one like that on eBay a month or so ago. The cake was at least 5mm thick. The bowl had a remaining diameter of about the thickness of one of those fat pencils little kids use. You couldn't ream it because no ream would fit. I had to start with a small sanding drum on a dremel too.
  15. TTUSmoker

TTUSmoker Member

Great googly moogly. I'm too OCD to ever allow mine to get like that.
  16. user1975

user1975 Active Member

Someone needed to introduce the owner of that pipe to a reamer. That's just nasty!
    IrishRover, Spaceboy Tim and Chuck S like this.
  17. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman That wierd uncle the kids talk about

I am like TTUSmoker-----------I am absolutely fanatical, and anal about my pipes. One thing I remember my grandad syaing--"NEVER allow a pipe to get a cake thicker than a dime"----I live by that rule. The carbon layer once it gets that thick as far as heat---the briar cannot constrict like the carbon---an boom---you gotta a crack. I have seen some pipes that are, or were at one time of fine quality literally ruined that way. It really makes me wonder----I guess its just me, and my anal attitude about my pipes, but---Why in the world would one allow a spectacular pipe--tight, dense grain that in todays world is highly prized become so caked up it may cause cracks----------The ones in the picture-----need to be mounted on a stable platform, and quite possibly a well driller can set up on them with his rig, and ream them---as was said---man that pipes cake has cake-------------:xd:
    Dondi likes this.
  18. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

I bought a Becker that looked like that. The lady was selling her late husband's pipes - 3 Beckers and a Castello, and they all looked the same. BTW, that Becker was the heaviest, most off balance piss poor excuse for a high grade I've ever seen.
  19. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman That wierd uncle the kids talk about

I cannot resist--I staired at that picture, and MY GAWD-------We need a new slogan---"GOT CAKE?":haha:
    Ted Vig likes this.
  20. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

That is some excellent caking right there. As long as the bowl OD is about 1cm, I'd say he's got it dead-on! :)