Velvet tobacco

Discussion in 'OTC Over the counter tobacco' started by Scottly, Jun 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scottly

Scottly Member

It occurs to me that I have never tried this blend. I seldom if ever hear it mentioned here. For an old timey otc, I cant help but wonder-- whats wrong with it. It seems to be you either love it or hate it toby. I have read the play doh comparisons.
    What do you have to say about Velvet? Is it in the same category as Mixture #79?

2. kb7get

kb7get Member

I don't care for the latest blending of Velvet, but loved it 30+ years ago. Will see how this tub tastes in Nov. when it turns 70.

[​IMG]

Bee24, jhguthlac, sonarman and 8 others like this.
  3. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

70!? :startl: Holy smokes! (Pun intended).
    I never tried any variation of it either. It is on my TAD\Bucket list too. lol

4. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

I'm one of those who thinks it tastes like pla-doh smells. I suppose there are worse blends but I'll never smoke it again.

5. Pschoppy48

Pschoppy48 Member

Where did you find this? WOW!

just5042 likes this.
  6. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

Velvet is a regular in my rotation,good old sun rippen burley,by the way how the hell doyou get the play doh to burn:shead:

just5042, Wildcat and Scottly like this.
  7. Calvinandpipe

Calvinandpipe Member

Velvet was the first pipe tobacco I tried back in about 91 or 92. I thought it was bland back then and haven't had it since.

just5042 and jhguthlac like this.
  8. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Anyone, find it soapy? I can't remember if I found it so, or if it was Half & Half.

9. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

It's one of those blends that is not as good now as it was then, but it's still pretty good. If you like Granger, you'll probably like Velvet - if not, then you might not. I think the two are very similar. I think Granger has more of a roasted peanut character to it. Velvet has a bit of that peanut flavor, but is sweeter.

colorduke likes this.
  10. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's just me or not, but lately Velvet has been burning - as in a chemical burning - my mouth an tongue.

11. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

I found the recent change in manufacture changed the flavor a little. I don't like it as much as I did.

12. Klauswermann

Klauswermann Member

I kinda like it, I mostly use it to cut my RYO cigarette tobacco with, improves the flavor a great deal.

13. CMAsailor

CMAsailor Active Member

I like it for those pipes that have a ghost I cant get rid of. velvet seems to do the trick for me.

14. srfulton

srfulton Member

Dont like it, still trying to use up a small bit for months.

15. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

I just bought some vintage sealed tins on Ebay.

16. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

I've had a pouch that I hadn't opened for a year. I opened it tonight and smoked three bowls in a cob over five hours. I think it is a sophisticated smoke for an OTC. I noticed the Play-Doh note from the pouch, if Play-Doh is made of candied raisins. Every time I opened the pouch to pack a new bowl, my wife asked to smell it first. This is a burley-based tobacco, but there is something else to it. It is something very nice. I don't think I need a can of it, but I wouldn't mind keeping a pouch of it around handy.

The whole time I've been puffing it, it has reminded me of Mel Torme. It is smooth and respectable, but not top notch.

esteban, just5042, colorduke and 2 others like this.
  17. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

I bought a pouch some months ago, and I liked it. Tasted like cherry licorice.

Rodfather likes this.
  18. RodneyWT1180B

RodneyWT1180B Member

My Dad used to smoke SWR when I was growing up. I haven't tried it yet and really don't know why. I'll be picking up a pouch next chance I get.

In general I've liked just about every OTC I've tried. None are mind blowing in how good they are but then neither are they terrible. Maybe that's the point. The old ones have stood the test of time and are still around because they appeal to a wide range of people.

Whalehead King and TedVig like this.
  19. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

KB7Get hooked me up with some of the old Velvet and it's stellar !! I like the new stuff too ! It's different but it captures the old blend in a way . I think it's more Paladin that has the play Doh thing going on . I didnt smoke Velvet for years cause I had it confused with Paladin , both being in red pouches . Velvet is Red Burley with some sort of flavor that I'll never know what the hell it is .... but I really like it and I love it best in my Wickerman Clay ... I'm gonna light some in a few minutes !

TroyNov1965, Coda and TedVig like this.
  20. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I smoked Velvet all day today. I like it. It comes a bit wet, but dries out easily. I have a tub and just keep it in there...dipping into it when the mood strikes. I find I have to pack it a little lighter than I normally would, though...otherwise it just doesnt smoke right...

TedVig and ruffinogold like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.