Velvet tobacco

Discussion in 'OTC Over the counter tobacco' started by Scottly, Jun 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

I've got an open pouch going right now. Good stuff.

colorduke likes this.
  2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Yes , I have to light it twice or three times [ not a big deal ] and it will burn all the way after that . This newer Lane version is damn good . Honestly , if any of yous guys havent smoked it in a clay ... try it !

colorduke and TedVig like this.
  3. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I find with Velvet, Granger and Half and Half (all by Lane) I have to light a bit more to start, and pack it a bit lighter. I agree with your earlier post...Granger and Velvet are a bit similar. I find the similarity similar to the similarity between PA and CH...Granger being the PA, and CH being the Velvet. They are close, but CH/Velvet has a little something extra added, flavor-wise...

ruffinogold and TedVig like this.
  4. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

This is currently my desktop...

[​IMG]

5. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

When I first tried Velvet last Spring I really liked it. The aroma was a bit "doughy" but I found it pleasant.
    The taste was very smooth and enjoyable...however my body hated Velvet! After a few bowls, I developed some type of chemical burn in my mouth which was extremely unpleasant.
    A shame because I really liked the taste.

Oh and I tried Granger at the same time and it is very similar, but with a med- heavy dose of nicotine. Unfortunately it, too, scorched my mouth :(
    For some reason my mouth wont tolerate either blend, and I'm ticked off. I wish I could smoke them because they are so classic.

RTOdhner likes this.
  6. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I find that I have to pack both Velvet and Granger...as well as Half and Half, a little different. I just gravity fill the bowl, and then just give it a slight push down. If its packed super loose, it doesnt bite nearly as much...

ruffinogold and Ephraim like this.
  7. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

I agree, I like the flavor but it is one of the few blends that bite me hard. I doubt I'll ever smoke it again.

Ephraim likes this.
  8. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Coda- Yeah I tried every method of packing and smoking Velvet when I had it...still scorched my mouth. I think it's a body chemistry thing.

Mecompco- Yeah same here.

9. Wildcat

Wildcat Member

+1

colorduke likes this.
  10. jhguthlac

jhguthlac Active Member

Tried Velvet for the first time several months ago. Does nothing positive for me. I guess the dog doesn't like it either. She tore up the pouch!

mitchell likes this.
  11. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Exactly my experience with it. It's a shame, cuz I used to enjoy the stuff.

12. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Yeah I wonder what is causing this reaction you and I are having?
    I really do like the taste of Velvet, but man I just can't take the mouth scorching it gives me. :(

13. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I was a bit surprised at how well I liked Velvet. It wasn't a barn burner but it was very smokable. No problems with tongue or mouth burn. Nice blender, too.

Wildcat and ruffinogold like this.
  14. ruffinogold

I cant imagine Velvet burning / scorching / biting or whatever else has been mentioned so far . It's one of the smoothest coolest OTC blends . Seriously , I'm shocked . I could see some other OTC blends burning hot or harsh ... but Velvet ? Wow . Red Kentucky Burley is a bit different than white burley .. maybe it's a reaction to red burley ? Its flavor is different than white burley .. it's more " rustic " . Of course , it's steamed red Kentucky burley which is a mellowed version to the bad ass Kentucky burley that is used in killer tinned blends .... the best being Peter Heinrichs Dark Strong Flake , one of the top 5 blends in the world . Any of you guys want to unload yer Velvet ? Please send it to the ruffinogold charity fund . Velvet in a clay is a trip ! Love it . My Son loves the stuff too

TroyNov1965, Wildcat and mitchell like this.
  15. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Yeah Ruff I don't get it either...very very few tobaccos burn me like Velvet. It must be a body chemistry thing or something.
    In fact I've noticed that tongue bite is a very individual phenomena. Many say that Middleton Cherry Blend bites, but I find it very smooth and gentle.
    It's a mystery

ruffinogold likes this.
  16. ruffinogold

It is weird . I noticed that Jim Inks and a few other people actually smoked Sutliff Spinnaker ... which I was totally unable to do ! Neither my wife or I could get through a bowl ! I aint kiddin when I , for the first time , must have had a chemical reaction to a pipe tobacco . my God , it was really horrible ! I'm sorry youre having one with velvet cause it's a very cool smooth blend for me

Ephraim likes this.
  17. Wildcat

Wildcat Member

An equally shocked +1

18. LostDog13

LostDog13 Yes, I'm a New World Samurai

I have a sealed tin I picked up off of the bay, but it's just been sitting on a shelf since then. No idea how old it is, but might have to see if it is any good still.

jhguthlac likes this.
  19. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

I just tried the new lane version tonight,WOW this is great.

Whalehead King likes this.
  20. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Active Member

I just purchased 5 pouches. Couldn't seem to find a tin online, not that I looked too hard. When I realized I didn't have any more on hand, I realized that I should have more in the cellar. The pouches had to be backordered and they arrived after I had forgotten about the order. I'm glad they've found their way home and I'll be putting them to good use. I take the fact that they were put on backorder is proof that I'm not alone in enjoying this blend, which correlates with some of the testimony above. Smoke it in good health!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.