Walgreen's Blender's Gold

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by raistlinsk, Dec 29, 2010.

1. raistlinsk

raistlinsk New Member

Had some Blender's Gold Burley and Black tonight. Fantastic cheap OTC bulk blend. $15 a pound! Taste like PA with some BCA mixed in. Its does come really wet so it needs to be dried pretty good. But a delicious, cheap toby, thats amazing in a cob!
  2. Bri2k

Bri2k Member

Thanks for the tip! It's always a bonus to find a cheap smoke that tastes good!
  3. Falconeer

Falconeer Member

Hi All,

Noted and thanks for sharing - that sure sounds like a bargain!

Best to all

Gerry
  4. Boomer-Z

Boomer-Z Member

Hello,

I was in our local Walgreens during the Christmas Holiday picking up last minute items. While I was standing in the 3 mile line I saw there tobaccos and wondered if they were smokable or not. Thanks! Will try some. Do you know if you can purchase smaller packs then 1 pound? I only saw big bags.

Thanks again,
    Z
  5. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I was given a bag a while ago, but it tasted like ash and hurt my throat (not tongue bite, but back of the throat bite, weird). After a couple of smokes I chucked the bag.
  6. jmiket91

jmiket91 New Member

I actually like the vanilla stuff. It's no Mac Baron Vanilla, but it's a good emergency tobacco. It's also great to mix into a leftover jar...
  7. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

It's a little harsher than higher end blends but they are quite smokable. I could live on them if I had too.
  8. raistlinsk

raistlinsk New Member

They don't offer them in anything smaller that those big bags. But it cost that much to try a tin right? haha The Black Cavendish is good...its not as good as Lane's BCA. Like Irish said, its not high end tasting but I could live off it, and at that price makes a great daily!
  9. Pecci

Pecci Member

I saw it today at our Walgreens. Yeah, it was only in a large bag.
  10. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

My gut reaction was, "You're pulling my leg!" but then I realized I was being a snob. Nothing ventured, nothing gained and the price is right. Smoke it if you've got it. I see those big bags at the drug store and I think I'll pick one up. If it's marginal, I've got plenty of odds and ends to blend into it.

Thanks for keeping my mind open.
    Cheers,
    WK
  11. TheSensationn

TheSensationn New Member

Evening everyone,

Was it strong? And walgreens? My my that sounds like a deal to me eh?
  12. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

i have worked with those walgreen tobaccos and.....well you can smoke 'em---lotta PG on 'em--other than the PG, i could use 'em regularly--tobacco really isn't that bad--

i'm sure there are some i missed that may be better--

i have found one that i really like--it isn't walgreen's but i found it at CVC pharmacy--the blend is Vanilla Cavendish--it's not as loaded with PG as most, you can actually dry it a bit--pretty decent as a stand alone, and really shines as a mixer--i have tweeked several leavins' jars with it and makes for some really tasty tobacco--

price is right too, and comes in an 8oz. pouch--

J
  13. Smokestack

Smokestack New Member

I've tried the large Walgreen's bag tobacco. In a pinch it will do, but I will puff up my other tobacco probably before I finish off the Walgreens.... just my take and taste on it.
  14. VibrativePiano6

VibrativePiano6 New Member

I treat Walgreen's bulk tobaccos as traveling tobacco.

If you're on a train, or bus, carry it and if the train blows the warning horn or the bus is about to pull out, you won't feel bad for tossing it half burned.
  15. Marc

Marc Member

Check your local drug stores, the blend, regardless of name, if made by Dream Castle Tobacco Company out of Richmond, Va., is made from decent leaf and is a great value! Dream Castle Tobacco Company makes pipe smoking affordable for the frugal.
  16. desertmoon

desertmoon Member

I have some of the burley and black and, once well dried and "aged" for a few weeks, it's pretty darned good. It was VERY bitey on me until I let it sit for a while....even AFTER drying

Not shabby, though, about six weeks later.