1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

What Are You Smoking? April, 2013

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by jpberg, Apr 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buistd

buistd Active Member

The packet version is a waste of time. The tinned version is a very different beast. Don't bother with Three Nuns again unless you can get the tinned stuff (unavailable over here).

Just finished up a bowl of a mixture of Capstan Ready Rubbed, MacB BLB and Perique. The Capstan is horrid stuff so I tried to make it more palatable by adding the other tobacco. No dice. Still vile. Any UK members who want to take this off my hands, head over to the EU Trading Post section for details. It won't cost you a penny.

User4408, dBear, Lucky Duck and 6 others like this.
  2. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Active Member

It's all I ever saw my, late, Dad ever smoke I've still some of his round and square (empty) tins
    [​IMG]

cobbsmoker, User4408, Morse and 17 others like this.
  3. WalkinStick

WalkinStick Active Member

Skipped out of work early today, so it's LTF in a bent MM pride with a KK topper. A little Buffalo Trace with ice, because it's hotter than papa bear's porridge out here on the porch.

cobbsmoker, User4408, dBear and 14 others like this.
  4. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Active Member

Halav u'Dvash in the Sergey Cherepanov Canted Blast Egg with bamboo shank.

[​IMG]

jpberg, cobbsmoker, fogpipe and 12 others like this.
  5. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

I feel like a noob at I guess 1 or a 2, dunno. Social Security once a month at leasts keeps me in check on what I can or cannot buy in tobacco. It's just a biatch waiting a month for the next round. It is what it is. More FMOTT in the Pete this time. Lots of ice cold lemonade. 71F22C no thunder storms yet, but a little rain earlier. Overcast but nice and pleasent for sitting and sipping on the front stoop.

cobbsmoker, User4408, dBear and 11 others like this.
  6. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

Update...Someone wanted to escape, the remains are in a drawer now... back to 11 pipes..

fishnbanjo, JimInks, YAPPG and 2 others like this.
  7. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

About a 7 on the scale, but no where near the interesting mix of pipes that Jiminks has. Close to half my pipes are Peterson 80s, since I'm boring and like that shape.
    Peterson Sherlock Holmes in a Peterson 80s. Iced coffee with condensed milk. -4C(25F)H58%

User4408, Morse, dBear and 10 others like this.
  8. MDaws79

MDaws79 Member

Thuber, if you don't get that POY you are really going to regret it when everyone else is talking about theirs! That's how I felt anyway whenever I spent funds I don't have to get it.

My brother Joe stopped by earlier and we finally got him a new pipe. A MM cob, though I did not recognize the shape. maybe a diplomat:msty:. He really liked Dbear's Black Lung sample, so we tried to find something similar at the Tinderbox. Did not succeed at that, but we got a couple of new blends anyway. He got Sherlock's Choice, and I got Connisure...Conosuire..Conisour..auto correct is really not helping me here. So, anyway, that's what I am smoking now.

9. psquared

psquared DGErwin, my horse would like a word with you...

I like that shape, and the GBD 9438 also. Do those 80s's clench well?

User4408, Old Codger, dBear and 6 others like this.
  10. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

Yes, I am well aware of this minor detail..if only my bank was..:rolleyes:
    But I am working on it. tempus fugit..

11. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

I never liked the pouch version; thought it burned fast and a little sludgey. It's vastly inferior to the original tinned VaPer mixture, which was coin cut; my all time favorite smoke. Today's Three Nuns tinned tobacco has no perique; they got cheap and substituted Kentucky for it, but it's still coin cut. Now, I love Kentucky as much as the next smoker, but this revamp took a magically great smoke and made it just a good one. It's a mere shadow of its past greatness. I have a little left of the revamp, and when that's gone, it's gone. Luckily, I still have some of the VaPer tin recipe, which is worth more than gold to me. In these days where really good tobacco blends are in abundance, nothing beats the VaPer Three Nuns for me.

Btw, a good friend of mine was in Germany and bought me a pack of Amphora Red. I just got it in the mail, so I'm about to light it up in a 1982 smooth straight Sasieni Ivory 105 Apple.

Jfro, User4408, Old Codger and 13 others like this.
  12. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Active Member

Don't know I have in the vicinity of 60 pipes coming and going........Tobak, several lbs I should say plus 50 tins maybe

Jfro, User4408, Old Codger and 7 others like this.
  13. RS422

RS422 Member

This is supposed to be very close to Amphora Red.

http://www.marscigars.com/gh-gawithred.aspx

Darbyshire in a cob.

Jfro, dBear, Lucky Duck and 3 others like this.
  14. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

You can't own a Peterson and be boring. I like Peterson pipes enough to own a dozen of them; thirteen if you count the Irish Second I have, which smokes as well as the regular Petersons. I also have a Peterson Sherlock Holmes from the first release, which my then-girl friend was kind enough to buy me. A really great pipe it is, as you know. I'm glad you like it as much as I like mine. :toast:

Jfro, Old Codger, psquared and 9 others like this.
  15. derrickyoung

derrickyoung Member

Well that whole experience with the Mcclelland Gray Harvest was a bust. Just reloaded the stanwell with some Frog Morton and it is burning and smoking like a dream.

Paint is dry on the mantle and living room cleaned back up
    [​IMG]

I figure I am 2 on the inkirwin scale. 8 pipes, 9 when my cob shows up next week. 30+ samples, 10-12 tobaccos I have purchased and have jarred or in tins.

My cob that will be here next week. Have to post this everywhere as it is the coolest thing to me.

[​IMG]

Jfro, cobbsmoker, User4408 and 15 others like this.
  16. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

Man I sure am late posting today on the Forum. Family left yesterday afternoon and, after a run to Costco, Wall Mart and Lowes, settled in with PA in a cob with a nice Merlot. Today I took off for a rest day and started the morning with Carter Hall in a briar with coffee. I have smoked Mc. C's Virginia woods twice today in Pop's Pipe and really enjoyed both. Still deciding what to smoke tonight, but the Merlot is already poured. Have a nice evening everyone.

Jfro, cobbsmoker, User4408 and 13 others like this.
  17. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Afternoon, fellows.
    Pirate Kake in an Armellini cutty. Thank you, unnamed benefactor.

Jfro, cobbsmoker, User4408 and 10 others like this.
  18. fordy

fordy Member

I am pretty sure my dad had some of those in the garage with screws, nuts, washers etc in. I will have to ask him. Mostly old St Bruno tins though, as that was all he ever seemed to smoke.

Jfro, cobbsmoker, psquared and 5 others like this.
  19. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Active Member

Wow! two ends of the scale

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Look at all that space to clutter :rolleyes:

Jfro, User4408, Old Codger and 9 others like this.
  20. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I've had a weird pipe day . My morning was a blurred train wreck and I didn't get my morning SWR / Rock Cob / Coffee thing . What happened was after dropping the fist kid off to school [ the other was still home sleeping ] I noticed a bowl of McConnels Folded flake in a Kaywoodie 13b that I was gonna fire up yesterday but got sidetracked . So I smoked it .. it was better than the first 2 bowls of it I had the other day . Then later I was in the van and had a bowl of Half and Half , which was lovely . That's it today , so far . 2 bowls is a teaser for me so I figure the next one needs to be a manly bad a** blend .............. Ogdens Freakin Walnut / Dunhill Innertube . This outta be killer . I polished all of my pipes yesterday and they are looking very sexy !

Jfro, Artistik, cobbsmoker and 11 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.