1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

What Are You Smoking? April, 2013

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by jpberg, Apr 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

It depends on the stem material. Oddly enough it doesn't seem to matter much whether it's a fishtail or a p-lip. An Irish Harp with the broader bit in some sort of acrylic didn't clench as well at first but now it's fine. I have a couple of the old Deluxe ones that are perfect for clenching. That shape just fits my hand and feels right.

Irish Flake cradling LEO in a Peterson Canadian. Meyer Lemon tea. -6C(21F)H100%

2. icedad

icedad Member

Sitting on my back porch in shorts and t-shirt with a MM Pride, loaded with some Butera's Royal Vintage Latakia No. 1. :)

3. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

I used to do what Georges Simenon did, but I have more choices now than I do back then, and I often change my mind about my next smoke, so that method isn't as practicable as it used to be. As for your last comment, sometimes it is time consuming to make that decision. I want to smoke a certain pipe, but I'm not in the mood for that tobacco... or vice versa, which can be a little bit of a pain at times. But more often than not, it makes my decisions easier. For instance, I've only two English blends open right now. If I want an English with a slightly sweet taste (and I do mean slight), I'll reach for Onyx. That limits me to one of several pipes, so I pick the one I feel like smoking. If I want a drier, fuller latakia English, it's Magnum Opus, and again, I have a few pipes to choose from. Do I want a pipe with a wider bit or thinner bit? That depends on what I was just smoking sometimes. Going from a wider bit to a shorter one is a nice change, and since I generally keep a pipe in my mouth while I'm working, it gives my jaw a break. When I run out of these particular English blends, I'll clean and ream to get the pipes ready for the next English, so the previous flavors aren't present.

Sometimes, I've mentally planned out my next three smokes, and I follow that plan. Other times, I don't. You'll notice I don't always smoke the same tobaccos everyday. If I had fewer pipes, I'd make fewer decisions, too. The variety of pipes and tobaccos keeps me more interested, and helps make this fun, too.

4. surlysoul

surlysoul Sales Account

Smoking shortcut to mushrooms in a cob while I look for a new bulldog. This smoke was not planned out, but I do go throught that same process sometimes.

5. dBear

dBear Active Member

Well, after going back and forth and forth and back, I finally decided to smoke the last of the Bob's Chocolate Flake that Mark Dawson sent me (thank you, sir!) as MD Mix. So, mixed it up with an equal amount of Dunhill Nightcap (thank you, Mark!) and stuffed it in the smooth Savinelli Champagne 315EX prince with the nice brass band on the stem and am now enjoying the best of both tobaccos. I can't believe I've still got eight more samples he sent me to try! :thu2:

6. Smokey

Smokey Active Member

Half & Half in a Falcon again

7. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

Right off I must say I respect all ways and means of other peoples smoking habits. But seriously, for me its simple and I don't complicate my smoking with any "this goes with that or that goes with this". It would take all the fun or enjoyment of the smoke out of my process. I have 20 pipes on my table close to this desk and about that many jars, ect. of tobacco. When I decide to have a smoke, my mind connects to what I am looking at among the tobaccos and boom, I choose one! I know which pipe is resting so I automatically grab one that's not. Stuff and fire it up and lean back and enjoy.That it! No mess, no fuss.
    GH Bob's Choc Flake in the Medico Gold Crest Apple.

8. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

YAPPG: I can't say I blame you any. :th1: Back when I only smoked three or four blends, life was much easier, less complicated when it came to pipe smoking, and sometimes I miss those days. But I have fun with the way things are, so I'm stuck with being :eek: me! Hey, whatever works for ya, works. It'd sure be dull if we all did and smoked the same thing the same way. I know you agree. :bing:

Might as well get this said: I'm smoking Virginia Spice in a three quarter bend smooth 1985 Dunhill Chestnut 5202 with a cumberland stem. I never liked the way Three Nuns tasted in this pipe, and smoked Louisiana Red in it for a while, but I think Virginia Spice is the tobacco of choice for it now.

9. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

Actually to add to what I said a few min ago, I have an edge. I can smoke anything in any pipe I have since I smoke English blends, everything I smoke is a component of any other blend I smoke. The only difference in smoking something new is that I will try it first in a cob or a well rested pipe to get a better taste to it.

10. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is in an undisclosed Bunker

AWWww! Can't ya just feel the love?

11. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

I agree, that's why I said what I did about respecting everybodys methods. At the end of the day we enjoy what we do. I know that there are those that take great pleasure in the choosing and the delegation and I don't mean to infer that its in any way odd or wrong. I celebrate those differences in others. I am happy to face each new day and take great pleasure in sensations every day. Smell and taste, ect, ect, help me celebrate those days. Actually Life is still that easy. It's us that complicates it against our better judgement.

12. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is in an undisclosed Bunker

Part of the fun is finding what smokes great in a specific pipe. The fun is in the experimentation.

13. CoreyR

CoreyR Active Member

Sat out side the hotel in Fredericksburg and smoked some nightcap in my CW cob. The night was breezy and warm. Quite pleasant, if i were not coming down with a nasty cold :puke:

14. dBear

dBear Active Member

The MD Mix was excellent! Now to figure out what to smoke next. Anything I choose is bound to be anticlimax.

15. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

Oh, I experiment like crazy. I'll get a bug up my butt thinking I can dumb down one of my strong Lat blends and get it to taste like Penzance. Then I realize WHY? :)

16. dBear

dBear Active Member

Well, that wasn't so hard. Decided to go with McClellan's blending Latakia in a smooth, low profile, quarter bent Sydney P. Ram bulldog with a diamond shank. Tastes right!

17. Jack Wagon

Jack Wagon Member

Black lung in my newest MM, wishing I had some MD mix now though.

18. dBear

dBear Active Member

I experiment really slowly. Most of the time, I stick with the maybe four blends I know I like and really know what they taste like. After I've smoked enough of those, I might then be ready to try something new or something I'm not so sure about. Heck, if it wasn't for this forum, I might still be smoking only Lane 1Q!

19. dBear

dBear Active Member

I know you! The Black Lung gives it away. You're a member of Pipe Club! Welcome to the forum. :banana::bdance::banana:

20. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

Tried some BHES in my Grabow Omega that I've abused in the name of rustication and shortly thereafter wished I was smoking an English.....:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.