What Are You Smoking? April, 2013

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by jpberg, Apr 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

I avoided burleys until I started reading this forum, and decided to give them a go. Now I crave them at times. When I think of how all this time, in addition to what I was smoking, I could have been smoking ERR and Edgeworth Slices and ABF and... well, you get the idea!

2. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

We had a long talk, and Pete told me to call him Petey Green, so after we settled that finally, and with much further discussion, we have started our first bowl together with LBF as our guide to a bright future.

3. LostDog13

LostDog13 Active Member

Pirate Kake in an MM Diplomat (adds a touch of sweetness to the smokiness that briar doesn't)

4. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Needed a sweet tobacco, so it's Shortcut to Mushrooms (thanks FlatbushPaul) in a straight 1979 MM Legend.

5. dBear

dBear Active Member

I thought, since he was just named, christened and introduced to this thread, we ought to have a proper picture of him. So I snagged this one from another thread. WELCOME PETEY!
    [​IMG]

6. dBear

dBear Active Member

Smoking Carter Hall in an Altinok bent ball meerschaum.

7. dwpipes

dwpipes Sales Account

Custom blend aromatic in a '57 or '58 Kaywoodie Meerschaum Billiard sent by a friend from a shop in Austin called 'Sweet Tooth'. It is advertized as being a blend of Vanilla flavored golden Cavendish, a hint of black Cavendish, burley, hazelnut & maple. Smells great in the bag and has a nice room note.

8. Thuber88

The top is not as green as the bottom but I like the tint and the changing colors, I guess a lot of the greenies tended to fade a little, but this one is all from being smoked,ShawnP just prefers cobs.:D

9. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

London Mixture in a large Savinelli Estella that I guess you would call a paneled billiard. Got this pipe from friend Sorringowl and have really been enjoying it a lot. It's certainly not a clencher due to its size, but it's a great smoker. I really enjoy the Savinelli's that were made without the intention of having a filter in them. They have a more natural draw to them that way, I think.

Didn't cool down that much tonight. 69˚F (21˚C), 61% RH, south winds at 7 mph. Supposed to hit 80˚F tomorrow. :eek:

10. user3221

user3221 Active Member

Agreed and so far i have found a couple matches that work great for me
    for example
    my Cherry Wood Pipe with Oriental Blends
    which i am enjoying now that everyone is asleep

cherry.jpg

11. user3221

user3221 Active Member

edit:
    Part 2 = 2nd half of the Oriental in cherrywood pipe now tastes totally different since i rubbed down my sore shoulder with Mentholatum

sure hope i don't get any of this sh!t on my pipe

and

I am really going to smell like an Old Man in the morning

:old:

12. dwpipes

dwpipes Sales Account

Interesting grain pattern. Is that a Cherry wood burl?

13. Thuber88

A bowl of really bad stuff might improve with some icy hot seasoning.:beyes:

14. user3221

user3221 Active Member

Yep my uncle has a whole pile of this OLD wood out in his barn
    the tree fell back in 1973 and he had it sent to saw mill back in the late 70's

been air cured since then
    too bad he had it all done up in 1" thick stock

some really nice looking wood but was not stored properly and is getting warped

15. dwpipes

dwpipes Sales Account

Trans dermal absorption of essential oils (in this case menthol and maybe more) can actually be tasted in the mouth within 30 seconds! Dousing yourself in liniment will adversely affect the gustatory experience!

16. Thuber88

And those fumes sure don't help the experience either

17. dwpipes

dwpipes Sales Account

Well it looks like you made the best of what you had to work with, but it would have been nice . . .

18. SidStavros

SidStavros Active Member

Benjamin Hartwell Chesdin Mixture.

19. User4408

User4408 Active Member

Mac Baren Black Ambrosia in an Astleys Freehand ...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This tobacco was getting savaged on Tobacco Reviews so I decided to have another look. Wasn't too fond of it myself the first time around, but I didn't remember it as being THAT bad. Plus, an old pipe buddy used to smoke tons of BA even though he hated Mac Baren tobaccos in general. So what exactly is it about this tobacco that generates such extreme feelings?

Not sure really. The black cavendish is based on Virginia rather than Green River Burley so there's a nice flavor. The aroma is a bit sweet: kind of like honey or cinnamon buns. I couldn't take this over the long term, but fortunately it starts to mellow out by mid bowl. BA might develop into a very nice all day smoke if one stuck with it and explored the nuances. But that's not gonna be me. Sorry. Too many other interesting tobaccos out there.

Next up: Vauen Virginia Flake No. 14 in a Millville Supreme. Ah, now that's more like it!

20. craig

craig Active Member

Going to be smoking some louisiana gypsy in my alco with a nice cup of coffee
    Happy days

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.