What Are You Smoking? August 2012

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by woody, Aug 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user2725

user2725 Active Member

McCranies Burley Light in a Brebbia meer-lined Ebonite churchwarden...
    [​IMG]

2. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

EMP in a Diplomat.

Stormy and TheMadMan like this.
  3. user2725

user2725 Active Member

Balkan Sasieni in a sandblasted Peterson 317...
    [​IMG]

4. Klauswermann

Klauswermann Member

this afternoon, i'm smoking some bluenote in my new to me 4-dot brigham, listening to some chet baker!

jpberg and Morse like this.
  5. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

'83 McCranie's. Sas bent-rhodesian.

Mington, jpberg and Old Codger like this.
  6. Morse

Morse Active Member

Happy Sunday. Peterson's Summertime 2012 in a Vauen pot.

Old Codger likes this.
  7. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

Peter Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme in a Peterson 80S. Iced Earl Grey tea over crushed ice. The Cat seems to enjoy watching the smoke drifting out of my pipe.
    22C(72F)H50%

Stormy, SidStavros and Jammer like this.
  8. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

How do you like this tobacco so far? Are you getting any coconut out of it? When I smoke it very gently I get a bit of vanilla, but the little whiffs of lime are what I find most attractive on top of it being just a nice smoke in the first place. I'm only on my first tin of it so haven't really figured it out.

Morse likes this.
  9. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

My last smoke was GL Pease Union Square in the Ben Wade billiard on my ride home from my meeting. A lot of aromatics lately though, especially Mac Baren Honey and Chocolate, so I can smoke in my apartment. I might just push my luck and go all out on something a little stinkier but yummier tonight...the fans pretty much make my apartment a wind tunnel anyway, it doesn't linger

Ted Vig and Old Codger like this.
  10. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Good Afternoon,

Smoking what must be Jack Knife plug (it was in a tiny mason jar - one of you guys sent it to me a couple years ago), in Doug's cob.
    Just got done listening to the Vinyl Cafe - Top ten (eight really) Canadian Singles, and no Neil Young. Pish posh, says I.

11. jpberg

Note to Doug, don't try this blend in one of your cobs, you'll end up punching Mr. Hall in the mouth right before you put him in the composter. Damn, I hate to say it - this is GOOD!
    I've smoked this and Dark Flake Unscented in this pipe, both taste very nice. There, I said it.

12. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

Had a couple days off from smoking (*gasp!!*) but now I have the place to myself for TWO WEEKS. Not actually all that excited about the quiet time, but I am looking forward to getting caught up with my pipes :D Starting with a bit of LTF (courtesy of WyoBob) in The Deerstalker.

Old Codger likes this.
  13. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

SG week winding down....Skiff mixture in my ebony Sas.
    (Who knows...I may extend SG week. lol)

Old Codger likes this.
  14. Morse

Morse Active Member

Another chink in that grouchy armor of yours - that's a great show! Well maybe the first but the fact is that anyone who listens to Stuart McLean cant be all bad

Old Codger and jpberg like this.
  15. TheMadMan

TheMadMan Active Member

Carter Hall & Rock Cob...:th1:

Stormy, Artistik and cobbsmoker like this.
  16. jpberg

Don't believe broad generalizations:mad:

Old Codger and Morse like this.
  17. highstump

highstump Active Member

Lazy day today. (Damn I want to retire.)
    Anyway...BBF in an Armellini with the last of the days coffee on the side.

Buckshot and jpberg like this.
  18. krusty

krusty Active Member

More coffee to go with G&H BB#2 in a cob.
    SWMBO just out the door for work so I believe a couple o' fingers of Makers Mark is in order while I contemplate the honey-do list.

Old Codger and cobbsmoker like this.
  19. Morse

Morse Active Member

Hey OC,

Somewhat inspired by your example I have decided to spend some time with this tobacco and see what I can figure out. I have smoked it exclusively the past week or so (with the exception of a bowl of SWRA yesterday) and I have also focused on using the breath smoking technique. Both of these in an effort to improve my technique and also my ability to detect whats going on in a smoke. Smoking slowly is definitely the way to go with this, not because it bites but because there are a lot of flavors going on and its the best way to detect them - plus its just good advice anyhow.

Overall I like it - I definitely get that almost trademarked vanilla smell that K&H uses and that I also find in Connoisseur's Choice. I think I get a little bit of the lime but its elusive. As for the coconut its pretty subtle and mixes with the vanilla to the point where I am not sure I can tell them apart - I was afraid based on the initial description that it was going to taste and smell like tanning oil. I love Peterson's aromatics and look forward to the release of the Summertime, Reserve and Holiday mixtures every year (missed the holiday last year though). Compared to last year, this Summertime is a bit less over the top. Last year it was all about berries and while i liked it, it was very sweet and ghosted quite a bit. I split my order in to a large mason jar and a 4oz one and will smoke from that smaller jar until its done. Then I will do the same with the Special Reserve ;)

Old Codger and jpberg like this.
  20. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Earl Grey with a bowl of Carter Hall in a Cob.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.