What Are You Smoking? August, 2013

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by jpberg, Aug 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Active Member

Having a ruddy good post-prandial snodging of some JackKnife RR in the old faithful hound that is my Adsorba straight briar, I do find myself having to resist smoking this stuff non stop.

2. Basil Meadows

Basil Meadows Active Member

CH in a Derringer with the last of the Maxwell House. Sitting and relaxing before heading in to work for a 12 hour shift. There should be a law passed stating that any work shift that goes beyond 8 hours, you're allowed to smoke your pipe inside. My tobacco smells a hellava lot better than extruding PVC!

Thuber88, Artistik, User4408 and 15 others like this.
  3. psquared

psquared DGErwin, my horse would like a word with you...

BFS in the Jost Regent, walkabout.

4. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Active Member

I couldn't help it, could I? I gave in and filled up another bowl of JackKnife RR.

5. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Just came back from my lunch break at work. Smoked a bowl of Black Stoker from Uhles in my Altinok. Think i got the most compliments today from people, its a great crowd pleaser for sure. Im still wating on a reply from Uhles i asked them if this was 1Q from Lane.

Thuber88, Lucky Duck, Summit and 10 others like this.
  6. Wookie Hunter

Wookie Hunter Member

Well, I've been called into work, so my day off is shot. The overtime will help pay for more pipes and tobacco though! I might load up the Diplomat with some CH to puff while I drive in.

7. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

Early Morning Pancake, thanks dBear, in an old tomato that says David's Exclusive on the side of the stem. That's all I know about it. It's a good little smoker. Pg tips tea to take the chill out of the bones. :rolleyes: Unreal weather, it was 54 when I got out this morning at 9 and just 65f 18c now. No complaints from me!

8. scopawl

scopawl Member

Cheers, Art.
    I reckon that'll be the next one to get opened then.
    Had a little bowl of Anni Kake in my Dr Grabow Lark earlier. I'll probably be smoking the Lark again this evening. Scotland v England game tonight, so I'll probably have a pipe at half time, not sure what yet though.

9. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

I'll Grant you a Teddy bear for that.

10. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

Hey, Jim, stop messing around here and send the dog out to your mailbox, lol!

11. JimInks

Got some hate from Yappg, so I'm smoking Dunhill Elizabethan in a 2001 black sandblasted three quarter bend Rinaldo Lithos YY bulldog with an amber colored stem. This is the new version that just came out. Tastes similar to the Murray's version, but maybe a little less potent. This may be my imagination, but it seems to be a thinner ribbon cut than I remember and is burning faster than what I remember. I'm looking forward to seeing the pics FishnBanjo posts when he gets in a tin of the original. It also tastes a little less potent than the Dunhill Match I've been smoking recently, though I'll smoke a bowl of that after this and directly compare.

I will say this. Whenever I used to smoke the original DE, m'lady would complain how much it stank. It's been virtually the only tobacco she's ever really complained about. A year or so ago, I bought some of the DE Match, and was smoking it in the studio. M'lady came in and immediately said, "I thought you quit smoking that crap." It's one blend I generally smoke when she's out of the house. So, I lit up a bowl of the new stuff (which is almost finished, actually), and within three minutes, m'lady said, "That stuff stinks!" So it can't be that different, aye? But it's also not quite the same.

Thank you, Yappg. I do like it just the same and will smoke the half ounce you sent. Expect some EGR soon.

12. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

All I could smell in the room after I smoked it was just va. Strange she wouldn't like that smell.

13. JimInks

I seldom ever smell what I am smoking, so I depend on others for that. M'lady usually doesn't mind a perique blend either. This indicates to me that, besides the taste, there is some similarity to the old blend, but I find this a little lighter in strength than both the original and the Match. However, as I said, I'm going to smoke a bowl of the Match as soon as I finish this. I can tell you now that the Match is not a fine a ribbon cut in width or length. This new version is burning faster than the Murray's version.

14. JimInks

Now, I'm smoking Dunhill Elizabethan Match in a 2002 smooth Rinaldo Silver Line 3 EGER 05 paneled horn. I've already given you the description. This has more of the perique taste than the new version for sure, and tastes more like the Murray's DE I used to smoke.

Edit to post: I also forgot to mention that the DE Match has a little less bright Virginia than the new version and from the Murray's version. I'd say the new stuff does taste a lot like the Match, but I like the Match better so far. We'll see how I feel as I smoke down the half ounce Yappg sent me.

15. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

It has a very fine ribbon to me. After sitting in the jar for a few days, all I can still smell of it is va in there. Well, FnB thpought it might be a little green. I will leave mine sit till maybe Christmas and see about it then. Yes to the burning way to fast. I'm enjoying the last two new ones I got, Bayou Morning and OJK. BTW did you see the pics of the Box Trade that obro posted this morning? Whoa, and it's coming to me next! :banana:

16. JimInks

Green is right! I also forgot to mention that the DE Match has a little less bright Virginia than the new version and the Murray's version.

17. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Breaking out the BULWARK!!!!
    Cause I just nailed that interview!
    Back again I go into the semiconductor
    industry.

Bulwark will be loaded in the
    Shillelagh with the solid meer bowl.

18. psquared

psquared DGErwin, my horse would like a word with you...

W00t! Congrats Snake!

19. user3221

user3221 Active Member

Been cleaning the office/smoking room ```` for hours
    :shead:

deserves me a little
    #333 in briar cob

thanks Drbear !

100_3141.JPG

20. SidStavros

SidStavros Active Member

[​IMG]

Gawith Hoggarth No 7 Broken Flake.

Thuber88, nicktrap, User4408 and 13 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.