1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

What Are You Smoking? August, 2013

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by jpberg, Aug 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

Weybridge in a MM Legend was company for my morning walk. Smoked a little Frogmorton on the Bayou in a Peterson 80s but it isn't a smoke that goes well with morning coffee so put it down. Now enjoying Essence of Vermont in a Peterson 83s and Kick Ass coffee out of the press. 11C(52F)H61%

2. psquared

psquared DGErwin, my horse would like a word with you...

Good morning boys. Another lazy Friday, all the outside chores are done, accompanied with a bowl of STG Escudo once again in Mr. Erwin's creation. Stuffed myself with a 4 egg Pit ham and cheese omelet garnished with fresh red pepper from the garden. Fresh OJ and PG Tips are my beverage. Now to catch up here...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    12/93 vintage, from a fine gentleman. :toast: Berg.

3. surlysoul

surlysoul Sales Account

Getting the day started with Butera's Blended Flake in a DGE nosewarmer poker and some coffee on the side.

4. User4408

User4408 Active Member

No doubt about it, there's a HUGE variation among pipe smokers who like Virginia. And there often doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason, making it impossible to predict whether Virginia smoker X will like Virginia blend Y. The only exception to the rule seems to be Gawith BBF and FVF: any Virginia smoker who doesn't like either of those is clearly insane.

One thing that baffles me is the McClelland Virginia line. I appreciate that they use perhaps some of the finest Va. leaf in existence. Yet every single one of their offerings bores me to tears and tastes thin and cidery. And yet something like Vauen Va. Flake No. 14, which is probably considered mild and flavorless by many, is to me a truly delicious flavor bomb from the first to the last puff.

And Mac Baren Va. No. 1, which many consider outrageously sweet, is to me not sweet at all, but instead kind of tart and very subtle in flavor. I haven't tried the Patriot Flake, but I know a number of smokers who consider it top notch. It's kinda disturbing that there isn't more consensus among us Virginia lovers. But I suppose the lesson is: you just have to try it and see.

That said, my mouth is watering for some BBF in a smooth Cavicchi Author ...

5. psquared

psquared DGErwin, my horse would like a word with you...

LoganG, looks like you have your work cut out for you.

Well done Tony :appl:

Morse, WalkinStick, Orson and 11 others like this.
  6. rondel65

rondel65 Misplaces Lighters

Had a very nice bowl of Dark Twist in my little Mario Grandi apple yesterday evening while watching my son play with his remote control boat in the pool. Then I got a bit lazy and attempted to remove the dottle by tapping my pipe on the heel of my foot. Maannnnn, I snapped my pipe at the stem/mortise. First pipe I ever broke and it could have easily been prevented. Still feeling a bit disgusted but lessoned learned. :doh:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
    Morse, WalkinStick, Orson and 15 others like this.
  7. User4408

User4408 Active Member

Hear, hear. The Acadian is OUTRAGEOUSLY GOOD in a cob. For the first time in my life I have an answer to the desert island question: Acadian Perique in a straight MM Legend.

If I was a Cast Away like Tom Hanks with a steady supply of this stuff, I really wouldn't care a whole hell of a lot when the volleyball bit the dust.

BBF in a Cavicchi ...

8. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is in an undisclosed Bunker

Some very good points made here. I for one do not care for Virginia's that are candy topped. I do not really have a sweet tooth when it comes to tobacco. When I want something sweet I usually will turn to a Burley blend that may contain some Virginia in it. But for me straight Virginia's are best when more natural. FVF & BBF are staples. Dan's HV, SG Medium Virginia Flake or Golden Glow all fit that bill. I personally am a huge fan of McClelland's Virginia's. I don't mind the ketchupy aroma and actually love it. They age phenomenally. That aroma will dissipate with age somewhat. When I say age I mean a decade or so. Not a year. One year for a good Virginia is not enough to make a real difference. Of course some will not improve much at all with any amount of time. Those I wouldn't consider fine Virginia's though. It is somewhat like red wine. Some are made to drink right away and some are not ready for a decade or so at least. McClelland's Virginia's are just coming into their own after a decade. FVF is like that. After 10 years it is just getting it's legs. And you are very right. It must be tried because one size does not fit all. Like red wine some like a light lively wine and some want a huge Barolo. JMHO.

9. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Morning all. Out back
    sipping on some GH
    Four Squires Flake.
    Thanks again Eric!
    This time, I'm burning
    it in a Bantam with a
    rustic Dublin bowl.
    More earthy than in
    the meer. Think I'll
    dabble in some pipestone
    today.

Oh - @YAPPG, try
    using the Frank method
    of packing a Falcon.
    I get at least an hour,
    Even on smaller bowls.

10. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Having some Louisiana Red in a Parker. Seeing all the posts from folks smoking Elizabethan I guess I need to pop open one of the tins I got and try it out.

(Sorry about the pipe, Rondel. Things like that are rare but they happen. Years ago I was getting ready to leave a restaurant and got up clenching a nice pipe and lost the clench somehow. It hit that hard floor and skipped like a stone on a pond. :shead:)

Morse, WalkinStick, Thuber88 and 15 others like this.
  11. Wookie Hunter

Wookie Hunter Member

I was surprisingly able to get a pretty decent night's rest last night. I woke up this morning feeling pretty good, no more toothache. I'm smoking CH and washing it down with black coffee.

Morse, Lucky Duck, user3221 and 17 others like this.
  12. furious

furious Junque collector

Decided to have a bowl of my secret stash of 1941 George Washington Cut Plug in a Wilke stacked billiard that was originally purchased from Vinny Nastri at Barclay Rex in NYC.

13. Rockbass

Rockbass Active Member

ASPC show in Columbus, OH tomorrow. My first show! Note: go to bank. Good morning SPFers. Been mainlining C&D Three Friars all morning, with pressed Starbucks French roast. It helps, economically, to have ones daughter in management there. The messy desk syndrome continues, but smoking the Brebbia w/ metal all over the place.[​IMG]

14. TheModernGent

TheModernGent Member

OGS courtesy of Coda in a Ser Jacopo bent billiard courtesy of berg (I provided the tamper and matches)

15. sagittarius

sagittarius Member

2nd pipe for today: size 4 "Dankse Club" Bent Pot filled with U.S. origin Rum&Maple. In contract to Planta, Germany, R&M, the U.S. variety, made by Lane, builds more on Burley, I believe, and maple whereas Planta's baccy is more on the Virginia and rum side.

Morse, Lucky Duck, User4408 and 15 others like this.
  16. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Man , my net book is messed up . The middle row of letters wont type . I got no A , F , G , L etc .. . I have a full warranty so off it will go . I haven't been on the house PC in a long while . It's weird to type on regular keys . Anyway , work is suffering due to rain and a mist in the air that wont allow any product I use to set up ... thus I cant work even when it's not raining :mad: .

I've been smoking a Pete Aran Rodie a lot lately along with the Grabow Viscount . I've been smoking blends that I have little of , in order to free up some jars .

SWR / Rock Cob / Coffee ....... gonna make an attempt to get something done . Bringing a basket pipe Pot and MB Roll Cake to work

17. Wookie Hunter

Wookie Hunter Member

Switched over to SWR in the MM Hardwood while reading some baseball stuff. Still drinking coffee.

Morse, Lucky Duck, User4408 and 17 others like this.
  18. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Some Magnum Opus in an old freehand Ben Wade that once belonged to dad. Oh, and more coffee. Lots more coffee.

19. BernardLerring

BernardLerring Active Member

You're welcome Derrick. Are you getting any of the strange and funky flavours I did or was that my taste buds having a fortnight in a bad balloon?

Morse, WalkinStick, Thuber88 and 10 others like this.
  20. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Active Member

Back from walkabout which went really well for both of us. Levi got some real exercise for a change with the low humidity and I had the Sea Urchin today rather than the Tsuge Tankard, it was filled with some 10 y/o Presbyterian Mixture Melange and it was very tasty, now back with a full PRM of Brazilian Cerrado strong and black..........

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.