What Are You Smoking? August, 2013

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by jpberg, Aug 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Active Member

Just my observation as well, it tastes stronger added to a mix than on it's own :msty:

http://www.smoke-king.co.uk/acatalog/Gawith-Hoggarth-Latakia-Pipe-Tobacco-25g-2159.html#SID=189
    from this list
    http://www.smoke-king.co.uk/acatalog/buy_blending_pipe_tobacco.html

YAPPG, Lithua pipe, surlysoul and 6 others like this.
  2. muddler

muddler Active Member

Yet another beautiful day here. Just had the plumber in - these old places don't have the greatest plumbing I'm afraid. Anyway, looks like it's fixed, for which I'm grateful. So now it's a bowl of FVF in a GBD.

[​IMG]

Morse, Thuber88, YAPPG and 14 others like this.
  3. SidStavros

SidStavros Active Member

This morning in my screen is: The Real Wild West - Buffalo Bill

and in my pipe is: Bill Bailey's Best Blend.

Morse, Thuber88, YAPPG and 15 others like this.
  4. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Finishing the night with Pirate Kake in the Dip, great stuff to sail away with.

5. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Active Member

Wrong "Tash"
    [​IMG]

6. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Happy Thursday,

Only got down to 69F last night, wich is teetering on the edge of needing to turn on the AC. I resisted, and the window fan managed to make a comfortable night.

Sometime during the night one of the cats decided to attack said fan, the only casualty was a lamp that unfortunately was caught in the crossfire, so from 2 -3 am I picked up chimney glass ranging in size from microscopic sliver to slice your foot open shard.

Paul, my recommendation would be 1 ounce of Grousemoor and 1 gallon of cranberry juice, that combination has been known to exorcize demons, it should work on kidney stones. Seriously though, I hope you get that very painful situation resolved quickly.

DFU, in a Dunhill pocket pipe.

7. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Active Member

Good morning everyone! Paul, I hope you are back to normal as soon as can be expected. I've started off my day with black coffee and Peter Stockabye Luxury Navy Flake in my DGE Briar Nosewarmer. I folded and stuffed two flakes side by side. This is going to last me awhile.:)

8. Huby Springer

Huby Springer Active Member

Starting this cool morning off with OGS in the PSF POY

9. deyo67

deyo67 Member

PA in a Comoy Lovat

Morse, Thuber88, YAPPG and 13 others like this.
  10. scopawl

scopawl Member

I've maybe got about an hour and a half of actual work to do today, so unsurprisingly I slept in and have been putting it off ever since.

I've just finished my lunchtime breakfast of a bacon and blood pudding sandwich with a mug of instant coffee. That will now be followed up with some 2005 MacBaren Navy Flake in this:
    [​IMG]

Morse, SidStavros, Thuber88 and 16 others like this.
  11. User4408

User4408 Active Member

Mac Baren Stockton in a straight MM Pride ...

[​IMG][​IMG]

This might be my favorite MB roll cake: extra heavy in dark-fired Kentucky (40%). With so much dark-fired it has the potential to be a pretty harsh smoke. But instead it's ultra smooth. Very pleasant and creamy when blown through the nose. I assume that's the whole genius behind the Original Black Cavendish, where they process the Kentucky with maple sugar to reduce the pH and thereby remove all the harshness. So you get the best of all worlds: strength, satisfaction, and mellowness.

Just returned from TR, reading Mr. JimInks' fine reviews of the Sutliffe blends. Do yourself a favor and have a look. He recommends a good range of aromatics and lat blends. I've completely ignored these offerings so far, and now it's time to dive in. Dive in? Sounds like I need to start with Spinnaker :whis: The only downside is the tiny tin size with no option to go bigger.

Let me take a moment to thank you all for the extraordinary companionship here on PSF. As we know, the world is now a hostile place in which to practice our noble activity. People cast withering glances, and the occasional angry mom whisks her children aside to prevent any damaging wisps of smoke from entering their precious lungs. That's all very unpleasant of course. But the ability to step into PSF, and to be surrounded by hundreds of fellow pipe smokers who are so readily familiar with the finest pleasures and details of the art, is reassuring in the extreme. The world has gone mad. But we're here doing our bit to help preserve sanity and the spirit of calm enjoyment. Kudos to PSF.

Morse, SidStavros, Thuber88 and 18 others like this.
  12. nicktrap

nicktrap Active Member

Well said, I too am very happy to have found this group of brothers and sisters of the briar, or in my case the cob.

Morse, Thuber88, YAPPG and 12 others like this.
  13. WalkinStick

WalkinStick Active Member

Sorry to hear that brother. Hope it works out as painlessly as possible.

Thuber88, YAPPG, Hofnar and 7 others like this.
  14. nicktrap

nicktrap Active Member

Just lit my second bowl of McB VA Flake in my MM Diplomat,fast becoming a favorite. I look forward to the arrival of my Forever stems, but am unsure of how they will improve the experience.

Morse, Thuber88, YAPPG and 13 others like this.
  15. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Active Member

Condor in a cob

Morse, Thuber88, YAPPG and 12 others like this.
  16. scopawl

scopawl Member

You might also find it useful that Ruff and Mrs Ruff did reviews of the Sutliff blends (though maybe you've seen it already...)

http://pipesmokersforum.com/community/threads/j-js-sutliff-blends-mega-review.10981/

I've got a tin of Blend No 5 which I haven't got around to smoking yet, though I'm looking forwards to it.

Morse, Thuber88, YAPPG and 10 others like this.
  17. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Active Member

Well, it took a bit to get through the posts which means I was dead to the world asleep but happy to report that while I'm still doing the Frankenstein walk I'm not brain dead. ;)

Sorry to hear about your trip to the ER Paul and in your honor my first pipe of the day was Virginia #1 (which you sent me, thank you) in the MM Mizzou with plum stem, here's hoping they come to terms to help rid that thing from your body, as others have said cranberry juice, lemon and limes, tonic water and hydration are your friend so keep hydrated.

Presently on PRM #3 of strong and black, good morning PSFer's....... :bing:

18. user3221

user3221 Active Member

Best Wishes Paul !

Thuber88, YAPPG, Lithua pipe and 8 others like this.
  19. user3221

user3221 Active Member

20. psquared

psquared DGErwin, my horse would like a word with you...

Good morning boyos, Friday for me. Butz Choquin Broad Cut Semois in the Egg, black coffee. :toast: Dr. Waugh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.