What Are You Smoking? August, 2013

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by jpberg, Aug 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user3221

user3221 Active Member

time to go back out to custom pipe shop garage and make rubbles of briar

Granger in building pipe

2. highstump

highstump Active Member

OK, I admit it...never even made an attempt to catch up, just moved to the head of the line and took cuts. :moon:

Smoking what on ebay would be referred to as "vintage" Velvet (thank you Mr. Mayor) in a Stanwell poker and feeling a tad vintage myself.

psquared, mecompco, User4408 and 10 others like this.
  3. krusty

krusty Active Member

Mornin' stumpy, enjoy last nights thunder-boomers?

G.L. Pease Jacknife Plug in my Cob Snob

[​IMG]

psquared, mecompco, YAPPG and 11 others like this.
  4. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Active Member

Per request by one of the nubile's I was asked to give a dissertation on my findings of Dunhill's Elizabethan Mixture, latest iteration that is. I did smoke it yesterday and reported it was a nice smoke but that really was in a pipe I smoke many types of tobacco in and if one is to seriously give any kind of review one must obviously smoke the tobacco in a pipe either where similar tobacco has been smoked in or at least a pipe that carries no memory, or ghosting, of past smokes, thus enters the Askwith Morta Rhodesian with Olive Wood Cap and white Stem which has had only VA's and VA/Per's smoked in it and as with all Morta pipes carries no memory of past smokes.

I loaded the aforementioned Askwith with Elizabethan Mixture and the first 1/3 of the bowl was a pleasant and mild smoke, no hint of tang or peppery notes were experienced either on the palate or the snork. At the 1/3 mark after being tamped the first note of pepper was felt in the snork but was gone by the 3rd puff where I then picked up the bright flavor of VA on the palate which also lasted only several puffs. Hitting the 1/2 way mark the peppery note was definitely apparent in the snork making me sneeze as only Perique does so there must be some in the blend. I enjoyed more of the bright flavor of VA for the next little bit getting to the bottom 1/3 of the bowl and things mellowed out once again to a satisfying little smoke it was the last few minutes where the tobacco finally opened up prior to ending where I picked up the brightest flavors albeit short lived. I do believe the tobacco needs aging as it is quite young just being released and plan on keeping the 4 cellared tins tightly closed. I will revisit this tobacco again next week and weekly here on in the same pipe to see if this agrees with my current assessment, as always a PRM rode shotgun this time #7 which was Jamaican Blue Mountain.

[​IMG]

5. highstump

highstump Active Member

Well crappage...I didn't even know we had any. :oops:

mecompco, YAPPG, WalkinStick and 4 others like this.
  6. krusty

krusty Active Member

My oh my but you must have been really absorbed in something to have missed the show!
    Window rattlin' honest to goodness bolt lightening went on for a good 30 minutes or so. "Homeric" it where (-:

psquared, mecompco, YAPPG and 6 others like this.
  7. dBear

dBear Active Member

And the day continues with comfortable old Red Cake in the Falcon. I think I need to brew up a fresh pot of coffee.

8. dBear

dBear Active Member

Crappage? Crappage? I must admit I like that. That'll be my word of the day, Crappage. Hmmm, crappage. Yeah, it fits nice.

mecompco, YAPPG, Wicker Man and 6 others like this.
  9. Stormy

Stormy Resident Rain Maker

Peterson CC in a Pet Aran.

psquared, mecompco, User4408 and 11 others like this.
  10. highstump

highstump Active Member

Apparently I live on the wrong side of the hill. I'm close to Minto Brown park.

mecompco, YAPPG, WalkinStick and 2 others like this.
  11. highstump

highstump Active Member

I like it cause it conveys the message and is suitable when in the company of "proper" folks. Where I almost NEVER find myself btw.

psquared, mecompco, YAPPG and 5 others like this.
  12. briarbob

briarbob Member

No pipe yet after working in the yard, just to hot and humid, but a cold beer sure works.
    85⁰ - 70% rh

mecompco, YAPPG, WalkinStick and 7 others like this.
  13. Hofnar

Hofnar Active Member

Borkum Riff Bourbon in a Missouri Pride. Not bad. Not bad att all. Borkum Riff is OTC-stuff here in Sweden and not held in very high regard on tobaccoreviews.com but it smokes sweetly in a cob and the flavouring doesn´t argue with the tobacco taste. With this mini review I conclude my 100ed post here.

psquared, mecompco, nicktrap and 12 others like this.
  14. DMiddleton

DMiddleton Member

after continuing to break in my new Dracula X105, I've filled a nice big Stanwell bowl with Dunhill London Mixture for an hour or 2 of relaxation and enjoyment. happy puffing, everyone :puffy:

psquared, mecompco, nicktrap and 9 others like this.
  15. fishnbanjo

fishnbanjo Active Member

Time for some elegant tobacco in an elegant pipe so I chose HU Tobacco's Sweet Latakia in Maigurs Knets Calabash Exhibition Grade with Masur Birch bowl cap.

[​IMG]

psquared, mecompco, nicktrap and 12 others like this.
  16. krusty

krusty Active Member

I think ya just weren't payin' attention (-;
    I like crappage too! Good word!

mecompco, nicktrap, YAPPG and 6 others like this.
  17. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Finally moving around again. Finished smoking Country Estate in a medium bend 2013 black Rekamepip Rock Cob poker. Deciding on next smoke after I finish lunch. A can of Mountain Dew is my drink.

A-Roid hit a homer today, and the Yankee fans cheered. Things are back to normal there, I see.

psquared, mecompco, nicktrap and 10 others like this.
  18. briarbob

briarbob Member

Pfft, Pay-Roid. When will he go away?

psquared, mecompco, YAPPG and 5 others like this.
  19. dBear

dBear Active Member

"Like crappage through the large intestine, so are the days of our lives."

Thanks to JimInks I'm smoking Alsbo Gold in the GBD Tanzania meer. This leaf is so soft and pliable, and the ribbon cut is so thin that it took some restraint to keep from overpacking it. But I must have done it about right because it's been simmering along quite nicely now for some time. The smoke is about as soft and pillowy as the leaf is, very nice and mild with a pleasing sweet flavoring. Glad I brewed a second cup of coffee, it's definitely hitting the spot.

psquared, mecompco, nicktrap and 10 others like this.
  20. user3221

user3221 Active Member

That can be fixed by a fresh pot of coffee if you haven't done so by now
    :ccup:

if that don't work an afternoon nap may help

mecompco, YAPPG, WalkinStick and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.