What are you smoking? December 2013

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by BernardLerring, Dec 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Condor Long Cut in the Parker billiard. This is one of the finer things in life.

2. user3221

user3221 Active Member

bdpbdpbdp

3. ChristTiger

ChristTiger Active Member

My Pleasure. Let the pooping begin! :appl:

4. User4408

User4408 Active Member

:xd:

I had the same reaction to HH Acadian Perique ... the smell of sweaty socks. But now I realize it was more like another article from my high school gym bag. Still not as bad as Handkäse mit Musik though. An old German prof of mine warned us about that stuff ... said it made Limburger smell like Chanel No. 5.

It's one of those miracles of Nature that perique in smaller amounts smells like flowers. At least it seems that way in LNF and Former's Cross Grain Flake.

CGF in a bent MM Pride ...

5. Lithua pipe

Lithua pipe Active Member

Now your talking

6. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

Smoking GH best brown #2 in my altinok Canadian. Man, its cold. Wind chills have been down around 0 all day. I'm in my truck listening to some Merle haggard.

7. Lithua pipe

Lithua pipe Active Member

COBS ALL DAY with the big three (ch swr pa). Now BOMBAY EXTRA in a Aldo Velani Sorrento

8. mitchell

mitchell Active Member

2012 Christmas Cheer in my new Wally Frank bent. First smoke ever through it!

9. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

C&D Epiphany in a bent, carved, no name, Italian Billiard.

I'm revisiting this tobacco after a year or more in jar. And despite over packing my bowl somewhat, it is smoking wonderfully. It seems much sweeter now than my initial experience. I really like the topping, or the way the blends comes together in regard to taste/flavor, but find it a bit of a chore to maintain as the cut of this tobacco is hard to nail down. It isn't ribbon, or shag, or flake, or broken flake. It almost reminds me of a cross between Cavendish and ready rubbed.

And the reason I even bother to mention it, is I find it a tobacco one needs to be careful with when packing, as it gives the appearance as if it can be packed like a ribbon or shag, but expands almost like a flake when burning. Which can get annoying when trying to get it settled in for burning. I'm not sure if this is due to the Virginia or the Burley (or both) expanding substantially.

However once you whip it into cooperation it becomes quite nice. Albeit one that delivers quite the nic-kick. I'm not really a Burley or Perique forward smoker, in fact Perique can often put me off a blend when the proportion is more than 'background' in a blends proportions. Same for Burley. And although Epiphany did give me those peppery needles in the back of my throat, it quickly dissipated after just a few minutes in. As well as the topping.

What it gave way to however is that buttery, nuttiness of the burley combined with a honeysuckle sweetness of the Virginia. I can still detect the creaminess of the Latakia, but it is running well in third place in this race.

All in all I'm really glad I was bored enough to revisit this as I'm really enjoying Epiphany once I got it to settle down and behave. I think it would make an excellent top of the morning smoke or for that matter, last of the day. I'd really like to savor this blend in a Cob, but I'm not sure of how it will perform in a narrow chamber. This blend may work better in a larger bowl.

I'll load it up tomorrow (don't think I can go back to back bowls) in a Wiley Galleon Pot and see if that aids in the burning process.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  10. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Thanks to Flatbush Paul, I'm smoking Chief Catoonah Princes Street in a 1949 medium bend Dunhill Shell. I'm half way through smoking this bowl. I've enough for one more now. Listening to the news and working. Time for ice water properly chilled with freshly carved li'l icebergs.

11. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Glad to see you shaved before getting your driver's license picture taken.

12. Puffstone

Puffstone Active Member

Got a chance to meet Erik Stokkbye tonight and taste 4th generation 1931 flake and 1882 English. 1931 flake is mighty tasty and I highly recommend. It was quite enjoyable to meet him. Other man to my side in picture is David, a stand up guy and owner of Boda pipes

[​IMG]

13. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Hello. 2006 Telegraph Hill in a Dunhill billiard, listening to the World Café. I want to be David Dye when I grow up.

It's a balmy 34F here, with a nice 10 mph breeze and clear skies. It's lovely.

14. surlysoul

surlysoul Sales Account

Smoking Rum Flake in a Peterson Aran P-lip. This pipe and tobacco were made for each other.

When I was a kid, I remember my Grandpa would smoke a pipe after meals. He would light the pipe, sit in the easy chair and fall asleep before the pipe was done. Eventually, he would wake up, relight the pipe like nothing had happened. I found this quite hilarious and used to poke fun at him. I am having a hard time keeping my eyes open tonight as I smoke my pipe and I can't help but wonder what he would say if he could see me now.

15. Miller319

Miller319 Active Member

Been a couple of days since I logged on. Only about 24 pages behind;) [sigh]. Maybe I'll catch up by the weekend:beyes:

16. WalkinStick

WalkinStick Your Huckleberry

I did that a couple of weeks ago after Thanksgiving dinner. My nephew woke me up he was laughing so hard.

17. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Maple, Twist, Stack, Berg, Lace, Egg.....

18. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

Squadron Leader in a Fredrick Tranter Prince. No picture, you'll have to trust me.

19. dBear

dBear Active Member

I came this close to opening up the Navy Rolls, but instead I'm smoking Penzance (thanks, Mr. Surly!) in the Squatch Scoop. One thing I just thought of is PSquared's (I think it was) tip about using aluminum foil to help reseal an open tin, so maybe I can open it for three or four bowls and then close it back up while I smoke down all the other freakin' open tins and baggies I've got going.

20. sillyoldbear

sillyoldbear Active Member

Smoked some Squadron Leader in the no name squashed tomato on the commute this morning. Wish I'd brought more in a pouch, now the drive home won't be the same :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.