What are you smoking? December 2013

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by BernardLerring, Dec 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I was a pipe smoking fiend today . SWR in the am , CBFC before I went to the office , CH on the way to the office and a couple after .. all in the mini Meadows except the SWR ... that was a Rock Cob . Just frooze my ass off smoking a bowl of Ogdens Walnut in my OT perfect Pipe .. actually , smoked half the bowl and came inside as I'll finish the other half a bit later .. it's freaking cold outside . Warming up with some Evan Williams

2. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Thanks to Flatbush Paul, I'm smoking Chief Catoonah Bailey's Supreme in a 2003 straight grain Karl Erik Ekstravagant A medium bend freehand sitter. A terrific VaPer!

Open that tin of Navy Rolls, DBear! :drunk: You know you want to! :drunk::drunk:Listen to your feelings Luke DBear. The force is strong with the Navy Rolls. :puffy:

3. user3221

user3221 Active Member

just open the tin
    smoke
    put lid back on.....

but you can take a q-tip dip it in
    oh maybe a soft drink or a tad bit of honey
    then lightly swab the seal ring
    and crank it down

4. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

Sextant again...damn this stuff is good

5. user3221

user3221 Active Member

Like you got room to talk
    Mr Heine's blend
    :laff:

6. user3221

user3221 Active Member

finishing up a bowl of turkish shag in pipestone pipe
    maybe that is why i don't get a good build up - i smoke too much hot burning shag cut tobacco

7. JWG25

JWG25 Active Member

I feel like I'm in the wrong thread....

8. Albert

Albert Active Member

Burley London blend in a savinelli Canadian while roasting some coffee on the back patio.

9. JimInks

Aww, go fry an egg!

10. Smokey

Smokey Active Member

Half & Half again today and in the Falcon tonight before bed.

11. Whitespot

Whitespot Active Member

ODF in a Age Boglund bent egg, sippin on some Dickel 12

12. JimInks

Still working, still drinking ice water, and now smoking Old Dark Fired Ready Rubbed in a smooth briar calabash shape 1984 Fero Danese made in Italy. Just opened an 8 oz. tin of Anni Kake, and deciding whether or not to smoke some tonight or wait until tomorrow, since I want to get a few final thoughts on a Sutliff blend before I finish writing my review.

13. dBear

dBear Active Member

Awright, awright, awright already! You guys broke me down. I'm opening up the tin of Deluxe Navy Rolls. What I don't get is how I missed the "Abandon hope, all ye who enter" sign when I joined this forum!

I have to admit, the presentation is beautiful with the rolls all layered into the tin like that. And the initial tin note is really good - smells a little bit like Dockworker, nice sweet blackberry type fragrance. But more like a liqueur, kind of an alcoholic note to it. Probably needs a small amount of drying time, but I'm the impatient sort, so I'm just gonna load it and let the lighter do the work. I'm guessing about two of these will fit into the Squatch Prince. Talk to you in a bit!

[​IMG]

14. Puffstone

Puffstone Active Member

This tobacco for me always seems to taste better the further down the tin I go, so the drying may be needed to get most flavor out of it. Hope you enjoy it, it's one of my favs as I'm aging 10+ tins myself right now

15. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

It's been a very busy day. Not much of a chance to post. Thank goodness I was able to smoke. Right now I'm enjoying a bowl of P & W Nut Brown Burley in a Kaywoodie Monterey Mission Briar 55 Full Bent Billiard that was sold as a Dad's Pipe. It's from the late '40's. It smokes like a dream. A cup of hot English Breakfast tea on the side.

16. moosecop

moosecop Member

:eek: 220 postings since this morning? is everyone snowed in.??. DTGs all over the place..its time to clean house,the truck and wherever else I laid some pipe...

17. dBear

dBear Active Member

Well, I think I'm most of the way through this bowl and I agree that the Navy Rolls deserve the high praise all you guys give it. Boy, was I wrong about the moisture. When I folded the coins they broke at just about the right tension and the bowl took a light just as easy as you please. Two rolls is too much for the Prince - I probably ended up with about a coin and a half in there. First light gave a nice dose of hay-tasting Va and the pepper of the Perique - actually it seemed rather similar to Dockworker, I thought at first. But that changed as I got further into the bowl. The spiciness is a nice build-up-strength-on-your-tongue spice and it's very much a Va blend compared to Dockworker. The mouth feel is not as thick as Dockworker and it's got kind of a wine-sour aftertaste on your tongue, not strong like Peretti Scottish Flake but noticeable. Entirely different smoking experience than Dockworker. The nose on this stuff is really good. A bunch of subtly changing Va sweetness in the nose and just enough pepper to keep your nose awake.

So thanks, enablers, I'm really glad I pooped open this tin. I'm having a great smoke!

18. JimInks

We serve at the pleasure of the egg frying public, Monsieur Bear. :bow: Btw, how does that crow you just ate taste? :laff::banana::toast::poke::poke::haha:

19. dBear

dBear Active Member

Ahem. Pardon me, Mr. "Red" Inks, I am not eating crow. I never said I wouldn't like Deluxe Navy Rolls, I merely said I would be cussed and ornery. I believe I achieved a satisfactory quotient of both cussedness and orneriness with my delay in pooping the tin. (Which I did not do in the woods, rather in my living room. Make of that what you will.)

And anyway, your mama wears Army boots! [​IMG]

20. dBear

dBear Active Member

Ah, that was tasty! What I think it needs is a Latakia chaser. So I'm putting some Penzance (thank you, SurlySoul) in the Squatch Lean Volcano. I'm going to drink unadulterated water and I'm not going to put any floaty li'l icebergs in it because JimInks is so mean to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.