What are you smoking? December 2013

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by BernardLerring, Dec 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

Never heard of it. Where exactly is this store? Harry, are you pulling our leg or are you serious? Balkan sobranie is one of the most sought after tobaccos there is. Just google it and look what some people pay for it. Buy it.

Rockbass, Lucky Duck, TedVig and 15 others like this.
  2. Harry Brown

Harry Brown Active Member

No joke ... I'm going back tomorrow first thing!

3. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

Comparing tobacco hunting to deer hunting, I think Harry brown is about to bag a record buck.

I am smoking my first bowl of 5110, thanks to Santa. And doing so in my randy Wiley freehand. Same Water as before and it is now chilled beyond the perfect temperature by Mother Nature, but has yet to ice over, thanks to vigorous swigging. Actually it is around forty degrees out and a nice night so long as you have cover from the misting rain.

So far so good with this one. I think there is quite a bit of Latakia, but it seems to be mellowed a bit by the stoved vas, which are adding that slight sweetness akin to cider. Overall, a good English.

Fortunately my tsuge full of OJK acted as a nicotine supplement as I am fully expecting the typical mcclelland lack of nicotine.

Rockbass, Lucky Duck, TedVig and 15 others like this.
  4. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Good heavens you are talking about a potential "Holy Grail" find in the realm of pipe tobacco. Old sealed tins/pouches of Balkan Sobraine from the right era can fetch staggering prices and are irreplaceable. BUY IT!

But don't sell it. Keep it, smoke it, share it... Might be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    Lucky Duck, TedVig, psquared and 15 others like this.
  5. BC56CH

BC56CH Member

Just in from shovelling the walk and driveway. Now I am enjoying a bowl
    of GLP Union Square in a half bent Brigham billiard that I've had for about
    30 years, black coffee on the side, watching "The Big Heat" on TCM.
    Wishing everyone a great evening.

Lucky Duck, TedVig, psquared and 12 others like this.
  6. Fr Tom

Fr Tom PSF Chaplain

It is a pretty boring story really. I was in college and on a budget. I was smoking like a chimney and the best of the grocery store brands for me were Amphora Red and Sail Yellow. The Amphora tins came with coupons. I forget the details, but you would send some number off with $4.95 for shipping and handling or something. The individual pouches came with 1 point. The tins might have been 6 or 8 points. This was a long time ago. I got several pipes this way. I still have two of them. The straight grain plateau freehand was a lot of points, but I was smoking a lot of Amphora.

This pipe is on its third stem, and for years I smoked it more than once a day every day along with my Amphora coupon bent bulldog. I have a couple of billiards from this era in my smoking history. One was an LL Bean pipe given to me by my girlfriend (now my wife). Another is a a basket which is double stamped "Imported Briar" on one side and had the brand ground off with a grinder on the other. I have a panel I bought at Garfinkels in 1980 when I was working in Washington DC at the American Youth Hostel. I had "lost" another Amphora bent bulldog and needed a replacement.

I have a picture of the bent bulldog. I have easily smoked over 30 lbs of tobacco just in this one pipe. I have more pipes in the rotation these days, and most of them have the larger bowls I now prefer, but I still pull these old ones out of the rack from time to time.

[​IMG]

Atom, Rockbass, Lucky Duck and 21 others like this.
  7. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Now smoking Old Dark Fired in a 1970s GBD Prehistoric Rhodesian 9438 with a perspex stem. Love this pipe, love this tobacco. Sure hope Harry gets that tobacco tomorrow. Wish I was that lucky. Wish I had a nickel for every pouch or tin of Blakan Sobranie that I have smoked. Even better, I wish it was available again in easy to find quantities as it used to be. Pipe dreams, folks, but some times, we're in the business for those dreams. ;)

8. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

Just had Chestnuts Roasting in a Brigham pear.

9. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

Sterling/1776 Vermont maple in a Mr Brog churchwarden. I like this stuff better than last time I tried it. It reminds me of the three star blends that sutliff blends for Iwan ries. It sounds like Sterling is sticking around for a while!

10. PyrateMate

PyrateMate Active Member

Evening Lads and Lasses, Today's been a Holiday Spirit day!! Looking forward to the weekend off and planning the last of me vacation time so's I don't lose it!

Lucky Duck, TedVig, psquared and 12 others like this.
  11. aggman

aggman Active Member

Newminster #47 Danish Black (courtesy of Coastie) in my newly Coastie-cated VFQ Bulldog.
    [​IMG]

Rockbass, Lucky Duck, TedVig and 16 others like this.
  12. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

[​IMG]

Breaking in my new pipe with some FVF. It is a Unique Briars egg. it's short and light and I even grew a beard and scowled for mr moo.

13. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Because I need some uninterrupted work time, I'm listing my next smoke early: Classic Burley Kake in a 2013 straight 5th Avenue DGE Nose warmer cob. Curious to see how this tastes in a cob. Going to pick out a briar for it, too.

14. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

Whatever is in the rest of these pipes that were resting 1/2-3/4 smoked. Drinnking Busch Light. leaving town tomorrow and cleaning. i'm ****faced

15. sillyoldbear

sillyoldbear Active Member

Have you tried the 'Won't stop until we get some' yet? I found it...dissapointing.

16. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Steven Books Grandfather's Own in a Comoy's Golden Saddlebit Billiard with fresh brewed Earl Grey ice tea on the side.

17. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Active Member

Good evening, everyone. Just finished a DGT of PS LTF in my MM Egg. Now I've moved on to another DGT. This time it's Carter Hall in my MM Diplomat. Finally home. Soon to bed. Puff on!

18. GlassEye

GlassEye Member

No, I should have tried it two weeks ago but UPS lost my order! Waiting on a replacement to arrive, I hope it is not disappointing to me, I had to get the 8oz tin for my replacement; just hoping I can get it in my possession before Christmas.

19. sillyoldbear

sillyoldbear Active Member

Hey, just because I dislike it doesn't mean you will. By all accounts Dan's Blue Note is a popular blend ;)

I hope it works out for you.

20. dying breed

dying breed Member

After a long and fun evening with the in laws, I am sneaking a flake of ODF in before bed. More family tomorrow and no smoke till Sunday so I better enjoy...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.