What are you smoking? December 2013

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by BernardLerring, Dec 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ephraim

Ephraim Active Member

Good evening.
    Just starting up some MCB in a MM Washington straight :puffy:

Have a great night/day everyone!

2. user3221

user3221 Active Member

right now i only have one more of these pipes

mom and dads pear tree just broke another limb a couple weeks ago
    - so that wood won't be dry for some time yet

3. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

Cooking up a storm today and taking a break with some old gowrie in my savinelli dry Oscar straight Dublin. Two birds cooking. One in a pot for soup and the other in the rotisserie for dinner.

4. SidStavros

SidStavros Active Member

About the word "Boss".

I hear or read that word every day in US films,video,documentaries,songs,news,TV series,books,texts etc.Everyone has a "boss" and there is a "boss" for every circumstance. An FBI agent arrives in the crime scene and ask the 911 Police Officer "who is the boss here?", an Army Lieutenant says to the MP in the gate "call me your boss", a client shouts to the cashier in the s.market "get my your boss now", a lawyer goes to an Insurance company and yell that is going to sue "the boss" etc.
    In Greece that word is an A' class excuse for an argument,a fight,an insult word and many other "bad" things.If you say that word to anyone [above example] or you will say with macho-style "i am the boss here" you will take many unpleasure answers as: "are you stupid? who you think you are? there is no boss here,go and **ck you,you are m***kas,what did you said,i am gonna **ck your mother, boss have the ***gers and the dogs,go to Hell,hey do you live in Medieval? get lost before i slap you,hey what that g*y said just now?" or you will hear belches about your God-Holy Mairy-Christ etc. I don't want to offend anyone but surprises me when i read "the boss of Mercedes F-1 team" or "the boss of this Convenience Store" because here we use other words for the first example.We say "where is your superior,i want to talk to the manager,i am asking for the Owner,call me your supervisor,where is the Responsible for this" etc.

No we are not the "tough men" or trying to play the "wise guys" to others but a Greek can not allow anyone to tell him that he has a "boss",my apologies for the "hard" words of this post,i wrote them to take an idea for the reality here. I don't want to insult any Americans [you all have seen how many post about this country i have write here because i love many things of USA] but i always was curious how easily and with so much frequently that words shows up.If that word so acceptable in everyday vocabulary?

Peter Stokkebye Nougat.

5. WalkinStick

WalkinStick Active Member

I never realized that word had a negative connotation anywhere. Does it mean something different in Greek? (Not being a smartass, I'm asking honestly)

6. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

Just packed some thuc Lao in my munchkin gavel. This is my first time smoking this. My friends father in law is Vietnamese and gave some of this to try. It is not bad, but doesn't stay lit too well. It is supposed to be real strong. He smokes it through a water pipe.

7. SidStavros

SidStavros Active Member

Walkingstick: I honestly wrote that: "We say "where is your superior,i want to talk to the manager,i am asking for the Owner,call me your supervisor,where is the Responsible for this" etc." and that was before i read about the "boss Lady" in your post. I always make a post in that topic and then i turn back to read the others,that was not for you,it was a coincidence! I didn't wrote that in purpose for you.
    The admin can check that i write first and then i puss the "like" button in previous pages.
    The word "boss" is bad here in Greece and i want to ask about it here.

8. SidStavros

SidStavros Active Member

Sorry i wrote wrong your nick-name and it's not "puss" it's "push". :(

9. WalkinStick

No problem here, Sid. I didn't think you were aiming that at me. I just wouldn't want to be calling my wife something nasty :confused: :D

10. surlysoul

surlysoul Sales Account

Interesting note on culture differences.
    I have a harder time referring to some one as my superior than as my boss. I cannot think of a circumstance where I would find it acceptable to call someone my superior.
    I have friends that use the term boss as slang for people they like. "What's happening boss?"

11. Fr Tom

Fr Tom PSF Chaplain

I was looking for an excuse to open that tin. With me, ODF started great and then grew on me. You have to have the complete experience.

12. SidStavros

SidStavros Active Member

Depends from the jod,in Army-Police etc you have a superior [in rank not as a Human Being].

13. ChristTiger

ChristTiger Active Member

Evening All! Having the McClelland CPCC 2010 Virginia Ribbon from secret Santa. Very Good!
    [​IMG]:bing:

14. WalkinStick

I'm definitely getting some good experience. I'm about to smoke my third bowl of it for today. :th1:

15. WalkinStick

That's a good looking smoker, brother.

16. ChristTiger

Thank you! It's a '52 Brebbia Lido Root. Very light. Love this pipe! :sailor:

17. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

I'm a few minutes away from smoking Sail Yellow (thanks to Eric P.) in a 1980s made in London no name smooth straight apple. Going to be busy for the next little bit. A cup of hot tea is my drink.

18. ChristTiger

One of my favorite English blends, enjoy!

19. zappano

zappano Member

My last bowl will be Motzek Curly Mixture No.7 , based on the strang (Rope) type, no flavors added. Such a sweet 'n creamy taste, spiced with perique. Outstanding! I enjoy it in Rehmbrandt, sippin Ardmore and another mug sugared black tea with milk.
    [​IMG]
    ...wish you all a peacefull night. Puff on ;)

20. dBear

dBear Active Member

What an interesting post! No, in the US the word "boss" is a pretty neutral term and, like SurlySoul said, is often used endearingly. Also like Mr. Surly said, what really raises our hackles is "superior." I acknowledge no man as my superior and insisting I use that term will earn you a swift kick in the nads.

Lighting up some Loosiana Red in the Squatch lean Volcano.

Rockbass, psquared, Artistik and 16 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.