What are you smoking? December 2013

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by BernardLerring, Dec 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

I'm very happy to see Flatbush Paul did well in my elocution class, see. Myeah! My last smoke before sleep is MacBaren Roll Cake in a 1979 black sandblasted medium bend Savinelli Non Pareil 9606 Billiard with a horn ferrule. Going to feed Suzy and Molly, and do some reading.

2. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

Mac baren Scottish mixture in a Pete 68

3. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

Back in'09 I thought I would try some ropes and I bought Brown Bogie and Black Irish Twist. I tried them and didn't really think much of them. They were kind of like smoking coal oil. Well, tonight I was in the mood for a strong smoke, so, I used a cigar cutter and sliced a few coins of Brown Bogie and loaded them in the Kaywoodie 2013 POY. I can't believe how it softened in 5 years! What a terrific smoke! The coal oil taste has turned into a molasses taste without the overly sweetness. It's almost smokey. The smoke has weight to it. Richness, almost like a cigar. It will never be mistaken for a "lovely" smoke but it has become very nice. Tomorrow I'm going to try the Black Irish Twist and see what 5 years has done to it. Age really does wonders with Virginia's.:bing:

4. dBear

dBear Active Member

Well done to zacROK for introducing a new person to the world of pipe smoking! :th1:

Right now I've got Peretti Park Square going in the Squatch Lean Volcano. Drinking water cold enough to remind me of the stupid temperatures outside.

5. sillyoldbear

sillyoldbear Active Member

Just smoked back to back bowls in a new (to me) no name Italian squashed tomato. First Squadron Leader and then EMP. Only half bowls though as the guy I got this pipe off, while he does great work, tends to ream back to bare wood so I'm breaking it in. Ice water is my drink and I'm watching Almost Human with the wife.

6. zacROK

zacROK Member

I'm staying with him for a few weeks. If he wants to smoke a pipe, I'm not going to complain. I got up and left the house early today. I came back and he was asking why I put the pipe away. ;) I'm going to let him try a few things and then order him a cob and some samples as a thank you for letting me stay with him. He is one of those people that is impossible to buy gifts for.

Now for the current smoke. Charter hall in a MM Country Gentleman. Breaking it in proper. :bing:

7. sillyoldbear

sillyoldbear Active Member

I'm smoking Edward G Robinson's Pipe Blend in a straight Falcon with a Hobo Pipes bulldog bowl. Coke on the side and watching Grimm with the wife.

This stuff is delicious, like a spicy plum chutney. Thanks for the reccomendation JimInks!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  8. zacROK

zacROK Member

Breaking in a MM Rob Roy Legend with Charter Hall. Getting ready to go out for dinner soon.

9. Fr Tom

Fr Tom PSF Chaplain

John's Mixed Blend in a Chacom Caanadian

10. User4408

User4408 Active Member

My first ever bowl of Old Dark Fired in a bent MM Washington ... this stuff is too good for words.

I hesitated trying ODF because it's universally loved, and I didn't wanna be the guy who said "What's the big deal?" Well, no chance of that. This tobacco is the definitive answer to my long-standing St Bruno dilemma.

ODF smokes a LOT like the old, fantastic St Bruno of the 60's and 70's. Not quite as strong and juiced as the original, but the blenders at Mac Baren have mastered that heady dark-fired Kentucky and matured Virginia combo that made St Bruno so flavorful and satisfying.

No doubt about it ... ODF is my Tobacco of the Year, even after just a half a bowl. The only thing that's missing is a fresh pint of Theakston Old Peculier.

11. Fr Tom

Fr Tom PSF Chaplain

Or Olam in a rusticated Kinsale XL14

More coffee

12. SidStavros

SidStavros Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yesterday the Christians here celebrating the Saint Nicholas who also is the "protector" of any Sailor and the Hellenic Navy.

[​IMG]

The motto of the Hellenic Navy is "Μέγα το της Θαλάσσης Κράτος" from Thucydides phrase to Pericles in Peloponnesian War. This can be translated as "Great is the country that controls the sea".

[​IMG]

De La Concha Black Magic.

Lucky Duck, rondel65, dBear and 24 others like this.
  13. porshcigar

porshcigar Member

Thanks for the St. Nicholas pictures. Smoking Wilderness, in a blasted apple.

Lucky Duck, dBear, Miller319 and 20 others like this.
  14. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Mostly. I bought a bunch of these for the Predictive guys and the QC guys. They download everything and send it to me - I print off what I need to put in the ISO files. Saves me time.

I had my desk pretty clean when we rearranged the furniture, it's getting back to it's old self.

[​IMG]

I'm smoking Maple Twist (from Nick) in the Squatch (otherwise known as The BST Inaugural Pipe, which I think he still has a shot of on his site) at twelve
    o'clock, and drinking coffee out of the mug at seven o'clock.

15. Hofnar

Hofnar Active Member

CC in a Zavvos rhodesian. PG tips. A well deserved (been a h*ll of a week) lazy saturday morning. It´s now past noon and time to get properly dressed and do something useful.

16. Smarty Jones

Smarty Jones Active Member

25 in Louisville. About 2" of snow on top of all the ice last night. Some places north of here in Indiana got a foot of snow. More icy mix coming tonight. Still have power which is a plus.

1st bowl w/ coffee was Peterson Gold in a Barling 4039, a little red bent military mount apple style pipe. It agrees with me greatly as it turns almost anything I stuff in it into powder. Going to have a second one, McClelland 5120 in a Pete 301 w/ more coffee to get my courage up to go outside, de-ice the vehicles and get some salt down in selected areas when the sun comes up. Will get the kerosene heater going in the work barn and switch to PA in a cob throughout the day while messing around outside and catching a little college football on the barn TV w/ a couple of Leinenkugel Snowdrift Vanilla Porters. Probably settle in this evening with a fire in the wood burner, pizza and something Lat, FMC or Old Dog, in one of my Pete 307s dedicated to Lats.

A Bob Dylan guitar went for $965,000 at auction, a new record. Enjoy the Saturday PSFers.

17. user3221

user3221 Active Member

Morning coffee and a bowl of turkish blend in rc
    :ccup::ccup::ccup:

very cold outside

18. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Active Member

Last night was FVF in a sav Oscar tiger bent billiard. This morning, we're looking at frog morton on the town in a basil meadows bullittproof cob. First time I'll have ever smoked anything other than carter hall in it, but fancy a change :) plus the cobs minor ghost-proof qualities make the decision even easier :)

19. Fr Tom

Fr Tom PSF Chaplain

Wessex Gold Brick in a 1/4 bent Kirsten

20. SidStavros

SidStavros Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.