1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

What Are You Smoking? February, 2013

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by jpberg, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

PA in a CG Churchwarden.

cobbsmoker, Artistik and JimInks like this.
  2. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Smoking the nub of a cigar placed into my Astas billiard. It's an A.J. Fernandez overrun, so I don't know for sure, but it's possibly Man o War Virtue. It fits perfectly into the pipe so that it doesn't fit all the way in....rather, it's held in place so there's a nice air pocket in the chamber, with the cigar mostly outside of it. Working on coloring the pipe while also getting more smoke for my buck without burning my fingers. Win-win!

FlatbushPaul, Wicker Man and dBear like this.
  3. dBear

dBear Active Member

Finished up the MacB Dark Twist that Dwaugh sent me. Rubbed it out to smoke it this time. I almost think it might smoke better just folded up with a little kindling on top. I think I could like this tobacco. Of course, I was using my DGE Chunky Elegancy nosewarmer which is turning a rich deep brown the more I smoke in it.

4. user2453

user2453 Member

Solani 763 White and Black in my Pocket Pipe from P&C.

Brit abroad and SidStavros like this.
  5. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Wilke #622 in a Dunhill Root Briar bent billiard. This pipe's group 5 size allows English blends to really develop a ton of flavor over the course of a bowl, and even though #622 is heavy on the Latakia, there is a good deal of complexity to be found.

Gonna be a long night for me. I've been editing and editing, and this thing still has a ways to go. I'll be willing to be that Berg will be awake by the time I finally get to sleep tonight. Oh well, I'm used to being nocturnal by now.

6. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Half way through a delicious bowl of 1985 MacBaren Navy Flake (thanks Flatbush Paul) in a smooth three quarter bend early '70s Stanwell Design Choice 837 sitter. Only a little left of the sample, but it's been a pleasure to smoke with every puff.

Morse, p120d16y, TedVig and 7 others like this.
  7. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Having another bowl now, this time Uhle's #44 in my new Neerup. This one is cased, even though it is listed under non-aromatic tobaccos in Uhle's catalog. Still, this is my kind of aromatic. Has what I always describe as an "old-timey" casing, kind of like brown sugar mixed with soft leather or something like that. High quality burley and Virginia leaf. This is a lovely blend. I have been looking for a blend like this, and now, when I least expected it, I have found it.

I highly recommend this blend to anyone who likes a nice, pleasantly mild aromatic as opposed to a goopy, heavily sauced mango blend or something like that. Fans of old-style OTCs would probably love this blend. Uhle's has produced another winner here.

8. JimInks

Probably my last smoke of the evening/morning is MacBaren London Blend in a 2013 MM straight Legend.

Morse, highstump, TedVig and 3 others like this.
  9. dwpipes

dwpipes Sales Account

[​IMG]

Magnum Opus in a Custom-Built Lg Pot. Very smo o o o th!

Jim, I think I have finally found a good pipe for the MO. I have tried it in several of my pipes, but this was the most smoothest so far. Unfortunately, I think I must be a Neanderthal (no offense intended) when it comes to detecting the subtle tastes you described in a previous conversation.

10. JimInks

Well, you can't win 'em all. Some tobaccos are not meant for some people or some pipes. I taste more flavor when I hydrate it and dedicate a pipe to it. Have you tried hydration?

p120d16y likes this.
  11. dwpipes

dwpipes Sales Account

I did put a humidifier disk in the tin based on your recommendation, so I haven't tried it 'dry' for comparison. Didn't say I didn't like it. Won't throw out the second tin! I think I probably just haven't developed a discerning pallet. I am working with "acceptable" and "unacceptable" so far. Haven't found a "to die for" favorite, but I have sampled a couple at our pipe club meetings that I wouldn't pay for.

Old Codger likes this.
  12. JimInks

I understand where you're coming from and took your comments as you meant them. Some pallets are more sensitive than others. For me, even the time of day can subtly change the taste of a blend at times. I haven't found a favorite to die for in a long time, since the VaPer Three Nuns isn't made any more (though I have some tins stashed, thankfully) and the old Balkan Sobranie is gone. I have favorites, like Dunhill Navy Rolls, etc, but I've come to the conclusion that I probably won't find that one smoke that will be my very favorite and primary blend again. But I know how to look for it! :)

Morse, p120d16y, dBear and 3 others like this.
  13. Greengrass

Greengrass Member

Rattray's Marlin flake in.. Rattray's Marlin :D

[​IMG]

Morse, p120d16y, dBear and 8 others like this.
  14. SidStavros

SidStavros Active Member

House of Smoke No. 8.

Brit abroad and jpberg like this.
  15. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Active Member

hope you don't mind ? I think the pipe looks great
    [​IMG]
    cheers Wicker Man

dBear and Greengrass like this.
  16. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

Good Morning,

No pipe this morning, my tougue is crunchy from cigars.

Copenhagen and coffee.

17. Greengrass

Greengrass Member

I got it for christmas, it's pretty rapidly becoming my best pipe. It's one of those magical pipes, no matter what you smoke or how you load, it's going to taste great. And the airflow is very free. Only problem is it doesn't pass a pipe cleaner without making a slight bent in it. A minor problem, no big deal for me

Morse and Wicker Man like this.
  18. buistd

buistd Active Member

Morning all - Orlik Dark Kentucky Flake in a Parker bulldog with a nice cup of tea. Beautiful morning on the sunny Sussex coast - the British seaside at its best!

19. jhguthlac

jhguthlac Active Member

Good morning PSF. 19-degrees here at 5am. Enjoying Presbyterian after eggs and corned beef hash.

highstump, TedVig, Old Codger and 2 others like this.
  20. Wicker Man

Wicker Man Active Member

I've an Invicta like that just a tiny bend reqired on cleaner, but pushing it down the stem straightens it out :mad: remove stem - no bother
    and the bore comes out into the bowl perfect :msty:
    [​IMG]
    cheers :toast: Wicker Man

p120d16y, dwaugh, Old Codger and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.