What are you smoking? January 2014

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by sillyoldbear, Dec 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jshogan2

jshogan2 Sales Account

3P in my Peterson XL02 '05 St. Pat's Day. Tried a different cut and packing technique with the plug today. This go around I essentially cut the plug into flake tobacco (unrubbed) and stuffed the flakes vertically in the pipe, packed somewhat firmly but not too dense. The flavor and smoke production was more intense than my previous encounters with 3P, and the large bowl which normally lasts me ~40-45 minutes with ribbon cuts like Irish Oak lasted over an hour and a half! Instead of using two matches for the entire bowl, I had to use four, but after the fourth light the tobacco smoldered at the _perfect_ (get it?) rate :). I'll chalk this one up as a new experience with both plug and flake tobacco for me... I normally rub flakes out before enjoying them, and I've never had plug in "flake form."

2. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

I am so sorry for your loss. You and your family will be in my prayers.

3. jshogan2

jshogan2 Sales Account

I just had a chance to read through the recent posts to this thread. Pyrate and Harry, I'm truly sorry for your losses. Stay strong. Prayers coming your way.

4. Ephraim

Ephraim Active Member

Currently smoking some of the Mac Baren Virginia No. 1 sample that PSF member Atom sent me. I love it, as expected.
    Nice mostly-rubbed cut, noticeable Mac Baren flavor (a good thing), very tasty, sweeter than McClelland Red Cake (my Virginia standard by which all are measured against) and just very good. :puffy:

Up next shall be something of the Burley variety...perhaps Prince Albert.

Still watching The Twilight Zone on Netflix.

5. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

I know that word, lol, smart aleck, wise a** and of course Bull Sh***er! :xd:

6. jshogan2

jshogan2 Sales Account

Netflix has The Twilight Zone episodes?!? <looks over at entire set of TZ DVDs on book case>

I don't have to get off my couch to get those DVDs now... laziness is no longer an excuse since pushing a virtual button is easier than loading a DVD! It's time to use the next hour of my time "wisely" on Netflix ;).

7. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

One delicious smoke should follow another, so I'm now smoking Full Virginia Flake in a straight 1968 Dunhill Shell bulldog. Ice water chilled to the proper temperature with shiverin' li'l floaty icebergs is my drink.

8. Ephraim

Ephraim Active Member

[quote="jshogan2, post: 768835, member: 4944"]Netflix has The Twilight Zone episodes?!? <looks over at entire set of TZ DVDs on book case>

I don't have to get off my couch to get those DVDs now... laziness is no longer an excuse since pushing a virtual button is easier than loading a DVD! It's time to use the next hour of my time "wisely" on Netflix ;).[/quote]

Only the first 2 seasons...not sure why all 5 aren't on there.
    Good ones though :th1:

9. Smokey

Smokey Active Member

Well, lit up a bowl of Nightcap tonight. Mailman brought it today. First time smoking this in an Omega. Grabbed a glass of ice water to have with it, but now I am thinking I should have grabbed some scotch. I think I just dedicated this Omega to this blend. The Lat was very noticeable on light up, but seems to have calmed a bit, but I am pretty sure it is going to ghost it.

10. Ephraim

Ephraim Active Member

Yeah I love these old shows...The Rifleman (which I dvr every Saturday morning on AMC), The Twilight Zone, Alfred Hitchcock, original series Star Trek, The Outer Limits, and the list continues) :)
    My parents were only kids when they originally aired, but man I really appreciate the classics. Oh and I have the DVD set of Rod Serling's Night Gallery as well. :th1:

Just about to fire up some Prince Albert in an MM Washington bent :puffy: Simply Apple juice on the side.

Old Codger, aggman, moosecop and 20 others like this.
  11. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

Just came in from the balcony where I smoked a bowl of Academy and had a couple of fingers of Presidente Brandy in honor of Virgil. Tired tonight and tomorrow is packing day for Fridays return to reality. Buenos noche mis amigos!!!

Mas tardes.

Edit to add, I remember Gunsmoke, Amos and Andy and My Son Jeep on radio before television was invented in my house,

12. Monkey

Monkey Active Member

Just got in from another bowl of Sillems Mayor's Flake. Looking forward to he getting home tomorrow. I have an order on my stoop and am ready to smoke another tobacco...Although the Mayor's Flake has been a faithful companion on this trip. .

13. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

Smoking a very nice bowl of Oriental #40 in the Barling Canadian, thanks to dBear. I think he hired Jims Dog to come by and see what I had left. Had less that 1 bowl of 40 left, was out of Park Sq. and just a pipe or two left of Early Morning Pancake. I'll puff on the latter in the am. Finishing some Lemonade with lots of floaties in it.

14. p120d16y

p120d16y Active Member

Well I went ahead and did it.
    The top portion is Natural Dutch Cavendish and just a hair over 1 oz.
    Bottom-most pile is the rest of the Royal Yacht out of the tin and a very tad bit more than of the cavendish. Gonna be smoking this quite a bit.

Royal Dutch Cavendish

[​IMG]

jshogan2, Old Codger, aggman and 23 others like this.
  15. dBear

dBear Active Member

Like I said, me and the 'Nard is buddies. You aren't, um, missing anything are you?

Finishing this bowl of Peretti Midnight in the Kaywoodie PSF POY 2013 and the it's off to bed.

16. p120d16y

p120d16y Active Member

Having an inaugural smoke of the Royal Dutch Cavendish in my rekamepip oyster pearwood with bark trim. :drly:

Then bed.

17. muddler

muddler Active Member

Another overcast day here in Pretoria. Should get some (more) rain later. Having coffee & a pipe or two with a good friend later this morning, probably for the last time in a long while. He's off to the Congo on a work contract. Looking forward to that.

First up this morning was Dunhill MM965 in an old Orlik billiard. I found a jar of it in the back of the cellar, put down in 2008. It is excellent. What a discovery!

[​IMG]

18. Ephraim

Ephraim Active Member

Since it's after midnight here, I've moved to the next day's pipe rotation: MM Ozark hardwood bent, MM Washington straight, and MM Pride bent.
    Firing up some Carter Hall in the MM Ozark bent :puffy:

19. mitchell

mitchell Active Member

GH Louisiana Perique Flake in theMM cob.

20. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Now smoking Burley London Blend in a 1980 three quarter bend briar Butz-Choquin 55 skull bowl pipe. it's nice and quiet here with everybody sleeping, but yours truly. I'm still listening to MLB HOF talk, drinking ice water, and reading. Almost out of the BLB because I jarred the rest of it. But the time will come when I'll open a jar, and enjoy some burley/chocolate goodness.

Old Codger, mitchell, aggman and 24 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.