What Are You Smoking? July, 2013?

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by jpberg, Jul 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dBear

dBear Active Member

Put Penzance (thanks, RickPal!) in the Squatch Prince. I think I see why YappyG contrasted Peretti Royal with this. Both are very good, but my tastes are more in the direction of the Royal. Has more zing to the flavor than Penzance. Different orientals?

psquared, User4408, Thuber88 and 7 others like this.
  2. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

Had a couple bowls of CH in the little WDC Wellington while driving. Got done what I had to at the office (might have had a few Rolling Rocks). There was a lawn sale across the street--bought a Bear 45# recurve for a ten spot (getting a string made for it will likely cost twice that). Home now, hotter that a 50 cent "soiled dove" on saturday night--I "should" be out mowing, but am inside finishing up a bowl of CBW in the meer apple (is that even allowed!?) and having a whiskey sour instead. I'm thinking it's about time for a Lat fix--perhaps a bowl of PK will do the trick (sorry, Dear)!

3. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Broke the GE and Escudo streak with some Peter Heinrich's Special Curly in an Apelt. I love smoking while it is raining, especially when we need it so bad. Forecast is rain every day for the next 3-5; a rare thing for July in Texas!

4. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Active Member

SG FVF in a peterson Killarney red billiard. Not gonna lie,im getting sick of the hassle that comes along with FVF, bugger to prep. Gonna head out now and have some squaddie in my petey tankard again :D

5. YAPPG

YAPPG Active Member

I don't know, out of the two different batches of Penzance I had, I never got much of a Lat taste. Was always very, very mild and I liked it for just that and the Sea Salt Air nuance I got from it. I just can't understand how people can rave so much about it being so danged good. Maybe if I try some straight from a fresh tin it would be different, dunno. It's def not worth the hype when you can get Royal or Tashkent for less than $4.00 an once.
    Royal has that Yenidji in it that was once the Prime taste of the old Balkan Sabrani. This isn't the same thing, but in my mind its dang close. It dosen't have that sharpness or that edge I seem to remember from the old Sabrani, but all in all who cares. It's darn good on it's own merits.
    Then, too, if you factor in that they don't sell water in there weight, it's a great value.

6. Stormy

Stormy Resident Rain Maker

Mac B. navy mix in my Spillproof Special.

7. MDaws79

MDaws79 Member

8. PipeSimmo

PipeSimmo Active Member

Just came back home - happy and well-fed. I really enjoyed today's grilling with my gang. Awesome sunday. Now I'm just about to light up a bowl of G&H Louisiana Perique Flake in my Peterson POY 2012 ebony. :)

[​IMG]

9. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

ERR Match in my WH Canadian as my Pre-Work Smoke...while rubbing out some FVF for later...hopefully it'll be dry enough...

10. Snookman

Snookman Member

Virginia Spice in a Kriswill with an Evan Williams on the rocks.

11. user3221

user3221 Active Member

Thanks to PipeSimmo i am Rocking the Cob with Strang !
    (while making new rock cobs)
    103_0813.JPG

12. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

Slight change of plans, have fired up a flake of ODF in the teensy Big Ben. Let the little woman smell the tin--she tried a couple puffs and opined that they "should make it taste like it smells".

13. Spam

Spam Member

Had a lovely bowl of SG's Jubilee during a nice evening stroll. :sh:

14. dBear

dBear Active Member

I find the Penzance is quite mild too, though what RickPal sent me is over a year old so it's no doubt mellowed and married quite a bit. If I compare it to 965 or Early Morning Pipe or Nightcap, I think it rates cuts above, but I wouldn't rate it above the Peretti Royal. And certainly not if you factor in price! Just considered as a blend, though, I think my preference for the Royal may be more due to my personal likes and dislikes than the blending 'cause I find the Penzance to be very well balanced and enjoyable.

Now, having said all that - Peretti Royal totally sucks and nobody should ever buy any of this crap! Stay away from it. It's not even worth checking out. In fact, I think Peretti stopped making it. Yeah, that's it, if you try to order it they just take your money and put it on back order for three or four years. And they're really rude about it, too!

15. dBear

dBear Active Member

Nice pipe! And with the logo, too! :thu:

16. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

The Rockies lead the Dodgers 3-0 in the :dkn:. I'm smoking Virginia Spice in a 1979 brown grain etched Lane Era Charatan's Make medium bend saddle stem calabash shape 483DC. And working.

17. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

Just had a lovely smoke on the porch of Balkan Sasieni in my Jobey CW. I've been craving this for a while.:D
    [​IMG]

18. user3221

user3221 Active Member

:shead:

19. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

Love the pipe! I hesitate to get my wife smoking a pipe as she was a cig addict when I met her 25 odd years ago and kicked the habit. I kinda feel like a hipocrite now that I've taken up the pipe, but I think it is a whole different thing.

20. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

Totally agree. Walked past a guy smoking a regular cigarette yesterday and got a good whiff...probably the first since I picked up the pipe some months back. It smelled absolutely nothing like pure pipe tobacco at all. Huge difference. Not even sure you could call that tobacco......

BernardLerring, Morse, 13rin and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.